Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Small Claims (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=303)
-   -   Can a pension be garnished? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=173853)

• Jan 18, 2008, 10:42 AM
    annette64628
    Can a pension be garnished?
    Last night a deputy served papers to my mother on an account of my fathers (he is now in a rest home with alzheimers and not competent to sign anything), my mother is not named in the suit and is not on the account. Is his pension subject to garnishment? The rest home gets most of it now, along with state help to pay for his care. We live in Missouri
  • Jan 18, 2008, 07:17 PM
    twinkiedooter
    If his only income is social security, no they cannot touch that. If it is a pension, yes they can.
  • Jan 19, 2008, 08:40 AM
    excon
    Hello Annette:

The devil is in the details.

Why was your mother served something for your father? What is the debt for? Why isn't your mother part of the suit? Were they married at the time? Is Mo a community property state? Will they throw him out of the home if they stop getting his pension? Is there marital property – a home perhaps? Is the judgment for a huge amount?

Help us to help you.

excon
  • Jan 19, 2008, 08:59 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by annette64628
    Last night a deputy served papers to my mother on an account of my fathers (he is now in a rest home with alzheimers and not competent to sign anything), my mother is not named in the suit and is not on the account. Is his pension subject to garnishment? The rest home gets most of it now, along with state help to pay for his care. We live in Missouri

The 3 types of service are direct/personal service (which apparently cannot be accomplished because your father is not legally competent - if this is the case - and so your mother was served; substitute service - they cannot find your father and serve a competent adult on his behalf; and nail and mail, which is not the case here). I don't know why your mother was served but it has to be one of the first two reasons.

And, yes, his pension can be garnisheed but SS Disability (which I would assume he collects if he is unable to work or retired) cannot.

Is this a debt in your father's name alone?
  • Jan 19, 2008, 09:04 AM
    s_cianci
    Certain pensions, such as social security and disability, are not subject to garnishment. Check with the administration of the pension in question to be sure. Also investigate whether the fact that your father is disabled and requires convalescent care could have any bearing on making his income exempt from garnishment.
  • Jan 19, 2008, 09:07 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Certain pensions, such as social security and disability, are not subject to garnishment. Check with the administration of the pension in question to be sure. Also investigate whether or not the fact that your father is disabled and requires convalescent care could have any bearing on making his income exempt from garnishment.

I don't know - under the Law are SS and Disability plan income considered pensions? I thought you could garnishee pensions but not benefits.