Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Credit (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Collector illegally stepping over boundaries? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=52011)

• Jan 3, 2007, 08:35 AM
    khushaliim
    Ok, this is second collections company that I have had for this credit card.

When they first contacted me, they were great- really courteous and polite. However, there was one payment that was (according to my account rep) returned due to NSF. Well, soon after the check was to go through, I had to leave the country for about a month due to a family emergency. When I check my voice mail from out of the country, I see that there is one message everyday clearly stating my business about a bounced check. The fact that they called so many times is not what I have a problem with. Are they allowed to state that on voice mail? (Thats my first question)

My second question is that before I returned, I had let my mother use my phone and when she answered and stated that I was not available, my account rep stated that she was calling about my bounced check. Are they allowed to disclose my personal financial information to someone other than me?

Now, that I have returned, I answered a phone call from the account rep and told her that I was looking at my bank statement and that there was enough funds to cover the check so it shouldn't have bounced at all. She then changed her statement to "oh- they just told me that the bank account came back as closed." When I told her that my bank account was not closed and that it was still there, she decided to say "ok, i'll help you out, and I'll take another check, but we have to do a conference call with your bank to certify that the balance you have can cover the check." Is that legal?

Someone please help!

Oh and one thing- after I made the agreement to pay, I did so- in fact, it was direct debit and all the funds were always there. So they had about 6 months of consistent payments without any problems.
  • Jan 3, 2007, 08:45 AM
    ScottGem
    1) why should it be illegal or even wrong for them to leave a voice mail about your account on the phone you provided them?

2) This is more iffy. It probably was over the bounds, but again, they were calling a number provided by you for contacting you. Anyone using that number could be considered close enough to you to talk with.

3) Sounds reasonable to me.

Remember you bounced a check on them as far as they know. You then took a month to respond to their calls about it. Frankly I think they are being pretty reasonable. As soon as you were aware of the problem you should have contacted them or had someone contact them to at least let them know you were out of the country and would handle the problem as soon as you returned.
  • Jan 3, 2007, 08:56 AM
    khushaliim
    Well, as soon as I checked my messages from out of country, I did call from there- twice- and left a message stating that I was out of the country and second to tell them when I would be back- after the 1st of the year.

And lastly, I even told them that I didn't have any documentation about my bank with me so there is absolutely nothing I can do until I get back and that I would call the minute I did get back.
  • Jan 3, 2007, 09:00 AM
    ScottGem
    Ok, point that out to them.
  • Jan 3, 2007, 09:10 AM
    khushaliim
    I did tell them that. The response that I got from her was that "I have been in constant contact with them to keep this from going to the legal department, but they just now informed me that it was a closed account."