Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Puppy Biting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=28242)

• Jun 24, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Schlebach
    Puppy Biting
    I have an 8 week old puppy. He is constantly biting at me and the kids. Help! How can we stop this ?
  • Jun 24, 2006, 03:25 PM
    valinors_sorrow
    A few good books on dog training or a puppy class might be a good idea for you and your kids. Puppies need toys to bite and chew on. When your puppy attempts to bite you, say no firmly and when the pup backs off, pick up a toy and redirect the action there with an atta boy or good girl. If the pup doesn't know the meaning of "no", reinforce it by thumping once with a rolled up magazine on an arm of the furniture or a table when you say "no". Never ever ever hit the puppy with it - its meant for sudden noise only in order to get the pup's attention. Dogs have respect for noises. My lab pup loved to play tug-o-war with ropes, fetch and chewed a lot on her nylabone and kong toys (which are great for stuffing with treats; keeps 'em busy for a while). Don't ever invite the pup to play with something inappropriate like a sock or your socks won't be safe.

In self defense, I slowly taught her the names of all her toys. I began by saying the name of the toy a lot when we played with it. Later when she was pestering me, I would say to her "Go find Mr. Bone or go find Mr. Rope..." She would look for them, sometimes for ten minutes or so (sometimes I hid them, shhhh ha ha). When she returned with the wrong one I said, "Noooooo that's not Mr Bone!" and she would look until she returned with the correct one. Then I rewarded her with lots of praise and a few mintues of playing with that toy. We made a routine game out of it and I found it to be lots of fun. Why all her toys were named Mister something I can't say LOL.

I also taught her the meaning of the word OUCH so she understood when she played too rough with me or anyone else for that matter. Every once in a blue moon she will still gnaw gently on a fingertip for a few seconds but I have come to understand it as an expression of affection since she does this when cuddling and only with me.

It helps if you can kind of get with a puppy's rhythm too - puppies basically eat, sleep, piddle and such and plaaaaaaaay - over and over and over. I hope this helps and thanks for posting.
  • Jun 25, 2006, 08:57 AM
    fredg
    Hi,
    Your previous answer is very, very good.
    Biting is not to be allowed! Only you can stop it.
    As a new puppy owner, I highly recommend a video by Ceaser Millan, a Professional Dog Behaviorist. He rehabilitates dogs, and trains people.

He has his own TV program, the Dog Whisperer, on the NGEO (National Geographic) channel, on Friday nights mainly, but also comes on some other days. This video is available from:
    http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/
    I also ordered his new book, "Ceaser's Way", from Walmart online, around $15 US, and it's very good!

There are other good videos available on the web, but this one is really worth your attention.

Your puppy will keep biting until you train it. Does he get a brisk 45 min. walk every day? Maybe twice a day? He is full of energy, and is using it to bite.
    Tire him out, and it will help. Has he been neutered? If not, get it done. It will stop some of the aggressiveness.
    You have to be consistent and persistent with this. When he bites, IMMEDIATELY push him firmly down, (not hitting him), rub him, to get him out of the "aggressive mode", then tell him "No".
    You must do this every time he bites someone. Not doing it every time will let him know that you arent' serious, and he will continue to be boss; not you.
    It might take a week or two, to get him out of this habit of biting.
    Stick with it, and he will stop.
    Also, as the other answer said, get some dog toys, for him to play with, not your fingers, toes, arms, legs, with the biting. Be sure he gets exercise every day. A tired puppy is not as aggressive.
    I do wish you the best.