Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Music (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Reggae version of Swan Lake (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=3282)

• Aug 9, 2004, 03:27 PM
    SUSZANNAH
    Reggae version of Swan Lake
    Driving me nuts, have been trying for years to find this, it's an instrumental, prob 70's don't know who it's by, just that it's a reggae version of 'Swan Lake' not sure of proper title either, any help appreciated??
  • Aug 25, 2004, 08:30 AM
    Djspindizzy2000
    Re: Reggae version of Swan Lake
    Listen I know you probebly are 100% sure its Swan Lake, but do you maybe think it might be 'bolero'
    I have heard of a reggae version of bolero, its class very chilled back with a sax and horns playing the tune, building up into a big crescendo at the end??
    Any thoughts?
  • Aug 25, 2004, 01:10 PM
    SUSZANNAH
    Thanks for reply, it's definitely Swan Lake, by the cats or kats or katz seems to ring a bell
  • Aug 26, 2004, 12:36 AM
    Djspindizzy2000
    NO! That's Quasimodo that rings a bell!
    Hee hee
    Just kidding I'll have a check for you OK?!
  • Aug 26, 2004, 03:50 PM
    SUSZANNAH
    Lol! ;D desperate to know how to get this track, someone, somewhere must have heard of it :'(
  • Sep 17, 2004, 05:01 AM
    Keithr
    Hi !

The reggae version of Swan Lake was released by The Cats, the label reference for the single was BAF1, but I doubt if you could source a copy!

It was released on April 9th 1969 and was in the UK charts for two weeks and reached No 48!

Hope this helps!
  • Sep 21, 2004, 02:02 PM
    SUSZANNAH
    Thanks all for the info, I'm glad someone has heard of it apart from me, If anyone knows where I can get a copy I would love to hear from you, many thanks ;)
  • Sep 21, 2004, 03:29 PM
    SUSZANNAH
    Keithr, just to let you know, thanks to your information I managed to download the track it's taken me nearly 20 years to find it, well pleased ;D ;D
  • Sep 22, 2004, 12:38 AM
    Djspindizzy2000
    Good things come to those who wait eehhh?
  • Nov 10, 2004, 03:30 AM
    Big Five
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SUSZANNAH
    Keithr, just to let you know, thanks to your information I managed to download the track it's taken me nearly 20 years to find it, well pleased ;D ;D

You can find The Cats Swan Lake on a Cd called "One Step Beyound" on Trojan
    Other tracks they have done are

BAF 1 The Cats - Swan Lake // Swing Low
    BAF Productions

BAF to the Cats - My Girl // The Hog

BAF 3 The Cats - The Hog (Vocal) // Blues For Justice

BAF for the Cats - William Tell // Love Walk Right In
    Produced by Rod Buckle for Happy Valley Productions

BAF 5 The Cats - Falling In Love // Ray Pereira - Don't Mess With Cupid
  • Feb 24, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Paul Harris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SUSZANNAH

Hello, like you I have been trying to download swan lake, would you mind telling me how I can get it please.
    Regards Paul.
  • May 30, 2006, 07:49 AM
    alguy
    I have a copy of swan lake by the cats 7inch single(baf1) I bought it 30 years ago in the uk along with a copy of whiskey and soda by the mopeds (columbia bluebeat) both of which are in my jukebox now in australia!
    Al
  • Jul 13, 2006, 06:26 PM
    zoom98
    MADNESS did Swan Lake as ska, which is somewhat close to reggae.
  • Jul 28, 2006, 03:51 AM
    tomfahy
    I can't believe this I was trying to find Swan Lake myself when I stumbled across this question (and web site), I have a copy of the original BAF 1 Swan Lake by the Cats but it is badly scratched and I have been trying to to get a copy since the early eighties. Does anyone know where to download a copy. The info already posted will help if I need to go to a record shop but I'd love to be able to download a copy. It would bring an end my quest to having all the Ska/reggae songs I loved as a Skinhead during the early eighties
  • Sep 18, 2006, 01:05 AM
    cirrusblue
    You can find it on the compilation Morrissey: Under the Influence:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articl...7/212225.shtml
  • Dec 30, 2006, 08:53 AM
    denfretten
    I have a mint copy of the 45 rpm single on the Green Light label ( made in Holland ) with original sleeve. Let me know your offer if you still want it please .
  • Feb 5, 2007, 10:35 AM
    ElmTree
    Swan Lake - reggae version, originally by The Cats in April '69, copied by Madness (who added lyrics).
    Can I download this from anywhere? I really want to hear it - I found out today my geography teacher was one of them, playing bass when he was 18... ahahah... Any ideas?
  • Feb 7, 2007, 02:42 AM
    denfretten
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ElmTree
    Swan Lake - reggae version, originally by The Cats in April '69, copied by Madness (who added lyrics).
    Can I download this from anywhere? I really wanna hear it - I found out today my geography teacher was one of them, playing bass when he was 18... ahahah... Any ideas?

It is a VERY RARE record and really a collector's item .

I will only eventually sell the original copy on E bay and I'm sure that it will be very popular for collectors.

If you want I can burn the song on a separate Cd and send it to you. Let me know if that's OK for you and how much you want to spend on it .

Greetings to your geography teacher

Fred
  • Mar 1, 2009, 09:54 AM
    clivetakker
    The best Ska version of Swan Lake was done by Madness (Live)
    The best Reggae version of it was done by The Cats (Studio)
  • Sep 2, 2009, 01:30 PM
    kaney
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SUSZANNAH View Post
    Thanks for reply, it's definately Swan Lake, by the cats or kats or katz seems to ring a bell

Susannah was it horace faith