Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Recipes (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=512)
-   -   I've decided to go vegetarian (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=745707)

• Apr 23, 2013, 05:41 PM
    Alty
    I've decided to go vegetarian
    As the title says, I've decided to go vegetarian. I'm not much of a meat fan to begin with, and the animal killing aspect of eating meat has always bothered me too, so it makes sense to make this change.

My daughter (10) has decided that she wants to go vegetarian as well.

What I need now are some great recipes. Anyone have any great vegetarian recipes they can share?
  • Apr 23, 2013, 05:55 PM
    Gernald
    Haha good luck! I did that for 7 years, but reverted because I like the taste of cow too much. My parents hated it but, they did a great job supporting me. My step mom used to make the best sautéed egg plant. I have no idea what the recipe is but, I think this one is pretty similar:

Sauteed Eggplant

Good luck!
  • Apr 23, 2013, 06:30 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gernald View Post
    Haha good luck! I did that for 7 years, but reverted because I like the taste of cow too much. My parents hated it but, they did a great job supporting me. My step mom used to make the best sautéed egg plant. I have no idea what the recipe is but, I think this one is pretty similar:

Sauteed Eggplant

Good luck!

LOL! Thanks. Truth told, I'm not much of a meat eater anyway, I actually only eat meat because my husband loves it. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate all meat, but the few times a year I get to eat my Aunt's turkey, and the 2 times a year my husband makes his bbq ribs, are really the only times I actually enjoy eating meat. So giving it up won't really be that hard. I hope. ;)

Thanks for the recipe. I've never actually had eggplant anything, so I'm eager to try it.
  • Apr 24, 2013, 02:39 PM
    Gernald
    Oh you'll love it, it's amazing. I don't know if you've tried sautéed asparagus before either, but with a bit of butter it's delectable.
  • Apr 24, 2013, 02:46 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gernald View Post
    Oh you'll love it, it's amazing. I dunno if you've tried sautéed asparagus before either, but with a bit of butter it's delectable.

I had my first spring asparagus that way last week -- aaaaaaaaaaaah!
  • Apr 24, 2013, 02:49 PM
    joypulv
    I've tried and always revert out of sheer laziness and some amount of craving for a juicy hamburger. My main animal proteins come from chicken and eggs.
    Recently I've noticed a chemical smell on the hamburger I buy for my dog, and the chicken I buy for myself. The chickens are the whole ones tightly wrapped. Something about all of them smells just awful, and it's not from going bad. They are adding new chemical preservatives, I'm sure.

Anyway ----- I love tofu, but haven't cooked it lately. Small cubes in brown rice and vegetables. Gomasio (ground toasted unhulled sesame seeds with sea salt) on top, and crushed nori (flat dried pressed seaweed, for iron). Don't forget that there are very few sources of iron in vegetables, and you can't be sure that the average spinach etc has enough. Blackstrap molasses is another source.
    For best protein, you are supposed to combine grains, beans, and seeds, all in one meal.
    Also don't forget that you will need to add salt, because you will be getting very little, and you do need it.
    If you will be eating dairy, an animal product, yogurt of course.
  • Apr 24, 2013, 04:35 PM
    Alty
    Joy, you're making me hungry.

I have to admit, I've only had tofu once, and I wasn't really a fan, but that was many years ago. I'm willing to give it another chance. :)