Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Sales (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=286)
-   -   What would you prefer.. Happy making 50K a year or unhappy making 100k a year (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=469238)

• May 6, 2010, 09:10 AM
    jerry72
    What would you prefer.. happy making 50K a year or unhappy making 100k a year
    I have a job interview on 5/7/10 with a medical sales company and this is a question in know they will ask. How should I reply?
  • May 6, 2010, 09:19 AM
    JudyKayTee

I'd rather be happy making 50K. However, if I couldn't pay my bills or live a lifestyle I enjoy on 50K and would be unhappy for that reason, then I'd rather make more and be unhappy.

I'd still be unhappy but I'd have a better income.
  • May 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
    tickle

My own opinion would be that I would be happy making 50K if the package included good medical and dental benefits. There are many other factors to take into consideration, i.e. what area of the country (which makes a make difference to real estate values, residential fuel costs, etc.)
  • May 6, 2010, 09:28 AM
    Wondergirl
    I would choose 100K a year and diligently find ways to make the unhappy parts of my work and life happy.
  • May 6, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Clough
    Hi, jerry72!

It's not a black and white issue so thus, there are no absolutely correct answers. It depends a lot on the situation of the individual.

The employer may be wanting to see how best you will be loyal to the goals of the company. The more money that you make, I would think that they would also be making more profit in order to be able to pay you more. However, if you're unhappy, being unhappy could be the result of certain stressors in a persons life. The more stressors, the more likely it would be for a person to be less productive at work and for the person to make errors of various kinds.

If it were me, I would choose the route to be happy and the most productive for the company.

I also like Wondergirls response a lot. I would call that working to turn scars into stars!

Thanks!
  • May 6, 2010, 10:10 AM
    slapshot_oi

First, if you want to be technical, it depends on where you live. For the price I'm buying my 2-bedroom garden-style condo, I could own a single-family in most other states.

If I were asked that, I'd tell the interviewer that question just can't be answered because my happiness does not start at 9:00 and end at 5:00. If I'm unhappy outside of work 'cause I don't have enough money to have a fun life, then I'll be unhappy at work regardless if I love my job; I just won't be in the mindset to truly enjoy it.

I could always use more cash, but I don't need 100K at this stage in my life 'cause I know I'll just spend it stupidly. I'd be happy with 60K.
  • May 6, 2010, 10:33 AM
    excon

Hello jerry:

Those aren't choices that I have in my life. I suggest, that you're putting your own limits on the question. To wit: the only answers you provide BOTH suck. I don't do that to myself. I don't think you should do that to yourself either.

As an example, you propose that the choice is based on a ceiling of $100K. Now, I don't know what kind of stuff you sell, but if your employer is willing to pay you that much on a SALARY, then if you're any good, you could make much more than that on a straight commission. THEN, with your future in your own hands, no matter what you sell, the job ain't going to suck.

Do I think your employer would go along with such a proposal? I do, unless the status quo benefits him a tremendous amount. If that's the case, then you're a pretty damn good salesman and you can write your own ticket anywhere you go.

excon
  • Jun 27, 2010, 05:41 PM
    sofia2010

You could have a million on your pocket today and die sad tomorrow.. or you can choose to have an empty pocket and die tomorrow with a smile on your face.. with a happy heart knowing that you live life well not based on the money that you earn but by the things that truly makes you happy:-)
  • Jun 27, 2010, 06:01 PM
    Fr_Chuck

This is an interview question and one for a sales company, Can I assume this is for a sales position, where at least part of the pay is commission ?

Next if that is the case, there is no "right" answer, they are not wanting an employee that is not going to be happy ( you won't sell that much if you are not anyway)

But they use money as one of the main motivation.

* I am currently anyway in the medical field and was part of sales in medical for a few years.

I would not give them a direct answer they way you are thinking,
    1. I am not looking for a position I would not like, so that is really not an issue, and I am looking for one where my efforts help decide my earnings, so it will be up to me, if I make 50,000 or 150,000. Since I enjoy people, love the interaction with them and just thrive for the challenge of the sale. * change voice tone* which I am really good at also. I am sure that first I will love this position, and will not be happy unless I am doing my best.

*** at least for me, that would be the answer to the question at an interview
  • Jun 27, 2010, 06:09 PM
    jmjoseph

If you enjoy your job then you can afford to make less money.

There is nothing worse than making yourself get up and go to a job that you don't enjoy doing, no matter what the pay is.

You're asking if the price of happiness is $50,000 a year. I say no.

Never sell your soul to be in a higher tax bracket.

You have to find a "happy medium".
  • Jun 27, 2010, 06:25 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Can't believe I answered a older thread,

Over month old, OP has not returned, and his interview is already long over.

I am closing, although I still think my answer was great.