Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Exterior Home Improvement (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Covering concrete floor (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=373904)

• Jul 9, 2009, 07:33 PM
    bwill196
    Covering concrete floor
    I am converting an uninsulated breezeway between the house and garage to an insulated and heated breezeway. My question is what would be a good way to cover a concrete floor? I was thinking carpet but I wonder if the concrete floor would ever be warm. Or if it would condensate because of the temp. differential . Suggestions or comments would be a big help.
  • Jul 9, 2009, 08:45 PM
    hkstroud

Carpet would be the warmest under foot. Don't understand concern about condensation. Not different than any other floor in a house built on a slab.
  • Jul 10, 2009, 08:18 AM
    ballengerb1

I agree with harold as usual. This would be much like any slab home, no worry about condensation with carpet. Is that breezeway dry now?
  • Jul 10, 2009, 06:58 PM
    21boat

To really insulate the floor use urethane/foam board and then plywood sub floor over that. Keep in mind the difference in elevation for what ever step that may or may not be there.

I posted a vid on insul basement wall and pay attention to the basement floor part.

YouTube - Best way to insulate a basement 800x600

Other
  • Jul 10, 2009, 07:02 PM
    ballengerb1

You could even lay down some radiant electric floor heat if $$$ isn't to big of an issue. How to Install Electric in Floor Heat Under a Tile Floor - wikiHow
  • Jul 13, 2009, 07:37 PM
    bwill196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I agree with harold as usual. This would be much like any slab home, no worry about condensation with carpet. Is that breezeway dry now?

The reason I was concerned about condensation is in humid weather the floor will sweat.
  • Jul 13, 2009, 07:41 PM
    bwill196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    To really insulate the floor use urethane/foam board and then plywood sub floor over that. Keep in mind the difference in elevation for what ever step that may or may not be there.

I posted a vid on insul basement wall and pay attention to the basement floor part.

YouTube - Best way to insulate a basement 800x600

Other

The foam board insulation was one of my options ,I just wasn't sure if it would breakdown in high traffic areas .
  • Jul 13, 2009, 08:08 PM
    21boat
    Quote:

The foam board insulation was one of my options ,I just wasn't sure if it would breakdown in high traffic areas
    How..

If that's a great concern which I wouldn't be concerned simply because of the tight full compression you will have there. Your weight will be transferred through the Whole piece of ply because its full service to srevice. No movement to brake down Insul board.

Lets think of this in construction science. 5/8 thick ply over a solid object no clear span here. Now lets add 1/8 to the ply and set that on joist that has a clear span of 13 1/2" lets jump on that and see the movement and lets jump on the 5/8 ans see the No movement.

The rigidity of the foam board is tremendous under compression as a full surface application. The weight on that 5/8 ply is so perfectly spread out because of 100% conctact with crete and ply for compression. It will feel solid as a rock just for that reason. I'm not an engineer here but lay a piece of foam down and ply and see if you can crush the foam. Never.. As long as the foam stays healthy it will last past my lifetime