Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Monitors (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=482)
-   -   Can't get crt monitor to work with acer aspire. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=783312)

• Feb 3, 2014, 05:34 AM
    qaz112
    Can't get crt monitor to work with acer aspire.
    Hi folks

Can't get sony e500 crt monitor to work with acer aspire desktop PC, win 7.

At boot up I see "starting windows" etc then a permanent blank screen. PC works fine with the thin screen monitor.

I can't easily get the monitor [very heavy] and the pc to an internet connection although I am online with another pc.

Any ideas appreciated.
  • Feb 3, 2014, 09:40 AM
    Appzalien
    Have you tried starting in safe mode? If your PC is set to start the graphics in a resolution that the crt cannot handle, as soon as the video drivers are loaded (after the starting windows screen) the crt may not be able to handle it. It could be the resolution or even the Hz setting (if your thin monitor happens to be 120Hz forget it on the crt). If you can get it into safe mode, you can adjust the graphics to 60Hz and a resolution more appropriate for the crt (closer to 4x3). Safe mode, as well as the start screen, run with default graphics settings, that's why the safe mode screens icons and windows are so huge.
  • Feb 3, 2014, 09:51 AM
    qaz112
    tried that and its ok in safe mode . but still not in normal mode. i set resolution to 800 by 600 [actually it already was set to that]

cant see how to change hz though

pressed "identify" monitor and it did nothing i could see
    win 7

Thanks
  • Feb 3, 2014, 10:57 AM
    qaz112
    see above too

setting are now 64. OK hz / 60 hz
    12by 1024

cant find a setting for 4x3 [as u suggest]
  • Feb 3, 2014, 11:58 AM
    cdad
    You need to be in full windows mode to make changes like that as when you are in "safe mode" you only have access to default drivers. You should be able to do it with a full bootup. Then tell windows what you want to do with the monitor once it is working.
  • Feb 3, 2014, 12:51 PM
    qaz112
    OK but I'm new to win 7. can you please say how I tell that to windows as i was just there and couldn't see anythin useful . and what exactly should i tell it
    Thanks
  • Feb 3, 2014, 02:27 PM
    cdad
    Try right click on your desktop and choose personalize. Then choose display. Then choose change display settings. See if the monitor appears there.
  • Feb 3, 2014, 02:33 PM
    qaz112
    Yes I did that but of coarse it's the flat one [monitor] that shows up as I had to connect that to run PC normally. I need to kjnow what setting to set even though they are not appropriate fot this monitor
  • Feb 3, 2014, 03:30 PM
    cdad
    What type of video card are you running? Usually in the video card settings you can add a monitor and either "mirror" or "extend" what you are using to view.

Mirror creates a copy of the desktop and displays it the same on both.

Extend actually extends the physical desktop and you can drag things between them.
  • Feb 4, 2014, 01:53 AM
    qaz112
    Its onboard , can't see any setting for it
  • Feb 4, 2014, 09:04 AM
    Appzalien
    4x3 is just a descriptor of the older standard screen size just as 9x16 is for wide screen. When your in the display settings and you change the resolutions you will see the picture of the monitor change from wide to more squarish depending on what settings you choose. Maybe look through the bios for some kind of setting that might help. It's so long since I played with a CRT monitor I'm a little lost, but I can't remember a time when I couldn't swap between them just by plugging it in.
  • Feb 4, 2014, 10:00 AM
    qaz112
    That's not helping much, I need some more specific info

Thanks though
  • Feb 4, 2014, 10:18 AM
    talaniman
    How to Connect a Laptop to a CRT Monitor | eHow

Have you followed this procedure?
  • Feb 4, 2014, 10:26 AM
    qaz112
    Its not a laptop. Looked but not appropriate to this
    Thabnks
  • Feb 5, 2014, 06:57 AM
    smoothy
    Laptop or desktop the procedure is the same... A laptop is just like a desktop with smaller parts packaged in such a way that you can fold it and carry it with you.
  • Feb 5, 2014, 09:30 AM
    qaz112
    This doesn't apply to mine, I simply want to make the monitor work as the sole monitor

"Turn on the laptop. Look for the shift or function key combination. This is listed in the manual but also often listed on the keyboard. Holding the key combination will alternate between showing the video on the laptop screen, the monitor or both."

Read more: How to Connect a Laptop to a CRT Monitor | eHow
  • Feb 5, 2014, 10:07 AM
    talaniman
    Are you using special connection lines or older ones that came with the monitor?
  • Feb 5, 2014, 10:36 AM
    qaz112
    Standard one that's often part of a monitor
  • Feb 5, 2014, 11:27 AM
    talaniman
    And does this cable match perfectly with your tower?
  • Feb 5, 2014, 11:39 AM
    qaz112
    Yes, and monitor works OK in safe mode