Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Pest Control (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251)
-   -   Spider mites in our house (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=22714)

• Mar 13, 2006, 09:21 AM
    dmmoss
    Spider mites in our house
    We have spider mites all over the inside and outside of our house. We have no house plants and no landscapeing outside. A friend in the bug biz. Says they sometimes are in the lumber when they build new houses and get in that way after a while. I have a baby and don't want to risk her health but they got to go TODAY. How do I kill every last one and stop them from coming back SAFLEY as possible. My wife is about to lose it so my life is hell PLEASE HELP ME!!
  • Mar 13, 2006, 10:53 AM
    RickJ
    From what I read of spider mites, they live off living plants - so I question whether that's really what they are. If I were you I would call a local exterminator who offers free estimates. Have him tell you what they are and what he would charge to get rid of them.

Check out this article: Spider Mites and Their Control.
  • May 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
    tiggernpooh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dmmoss
    We have spider mites all over the inside and outside of our house. We have no house plants and no landscapeing outside. A friend in the bug biz. says they sometimes are in the lumber when they build new houses and get in that way after a while. I have a baby and dont want to risk her health but they gotta go TODAY. How do I kill every last one and stop them from comming back SAFLEY as possible. My wife is about to lose it so my life is hell PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I believe I have the answer... as I have finally found out what our own infestation is - they are called clover mites and they have nothing to do with plants in your house. They are harmless but annoying - they come in from outside through windows and doors because the infestation outside is so abundant they need someplace else to gather. If you "google" clover mites you will get all the info you need. I have small children as well and have chosen to treat the outside and continue to vacuum the little buggers inside 2-3x per day. Good Luck:)
  • Jun 8, 2007, 08:48 AM
    nmk100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggernpooh
    I believe I have the answer... as I have finally found out what our own infestation is - they are called clover mites and they have nothing to do with plants in your house. They are harmless but annoying - they come in from outside thru windows and doors because the infestation outside is so abundant they need someplace else to gather. If you "google" clover mites you will get all the info you need. I have small children as well and have chosen to treat the outside and continue to vacuum the little buggers inside 2-3x per day. Good Luck:)

Hi,

I've got the same problem as the person who started the thread... but my spider mites are neither Clover mites or "red spider mites"

They don't seem to be eating into any of the plants. They come out when it starts to get hot / warm and they multiply everywhere! We have them all over our conservatory, drive, garage, path, window sills, doors,. even the eaves!

They look *exactly* like Red Spider mites in that they have 8 legs, the two legs at the front are longer than the two in the middle. The only difference is that:

- they are RED and not orange
    - they don't seem to be eating into plants
    - they don't have [two] dots on them

When I squish them they leave a little red stain. I hate them! And they're multiplying with each year I do not kill them!

Also- they are all over the bricks on our house, even being found in gravel too. I have no idea where the nest is but desperately need to identify what these things are and what predator I can use to kill them.

Please help!

Nigel