Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Arts & Leisure (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=230)
-   -   Trailer. Is it worth it? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=789737)

• Apr 15, 2014, 02:09 PM
    Alty
    Trailer. Is it worth it?
    My husband and I have been looking for a used trailer. We have a tent trailer, which we'll be selling shortly.

I found one today, it's a 1975 Prowler. It's 24feet. The ad says it needs a bit of TLC, a new vent and a new trailer hitch.

I'd go take a look at it, but it's an hour and a half drive. I'd rather have all the info before I make that trek.

If the entire hitch has to be replaced, what would be the ballpark cost for that? Also, how will we get it home if the hitch is busted?

Here's the ad.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/D84AAMXQyY1TTV42/$_35.JPG

Anyone have any expertise in this?:
  • Apr 15, 2014, 03:55 PM
    parttime
    Hi Alty, that picture conveniently left out the end of the hitch, if it's just the coupler shouldn't be that bad, it will just bolt on and should be less than $50 and can be put on in just a few minutes. Over all it looks pretty good to me, If the price is right. Any way to get a picture of the front of the hitch?
  • Apr 15, 2014, 03:56 PM
    cdad
    Here is one to give you an idea of how much the one your looking at is worth.

1975 Used Prowler 20 of Travel Trailer RV For Sale

Repais can run from cheap to extremely expensive depending on the nature of the repair. You would really have to look closely at it to get an idea of what needs to be done.
  • Apr 16, 2014, 02:52 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    Hi Alty, that picture conveniently left out the end of the hitch, if it's just the coupler shouldn't be that bad, it will just bolt on and should be less than $50 and can be put on in just a few minutes. Over all it looks pretty good to me, If the price is right. Any way to get a picture of the front of the hitch?

Thanks parttime. My husband is very handy, and even if it's a matter of replacing the entire hitch, he's fairly sure he can do it. The question is, how much damage is there? Can we even tow it home?

I did contact the seller and asked for close up pictures of the hitch, and whether it's towable without the repairs. So far he hasn't replied.
  • Apr 16, 2014, 02:57 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Here is one to give you an idea of how much the one your looking at is worth.

1975 Used Prowler 20 of Travel Trailer RV For Sale

Repais can run from cheap to extremely expensive depending on the nature of the repair. You would really have to look closely at it to get an idea of what needs to be done.

Hi Cdad. I did search the blue book value in Canada. These trailers sell between $1800-over $3000 depending on the shape they're in. This one is selling for $1200. That's a very good deal, especially for the size of 24'. If the interior is outdated, which I'd expect for a 1975 trailer, that's not a big deal. We're campers, we don't expect all the bells and whistles, we'd just like a dry place to sleep, and a place to sit and play board games if it's raining. Our tent trailer is simply too small for us now, and it's not safe for the dogs, they can easily escape when we leave them to go swimming etc.

The vent is an easy inexpensive fix. Even the hitch doesn't worry me too much. We have a friend that's an experienced welder, over 30 years experience, that would be willing to put on a new hitch for us. My husband could make it, out of the best steel available, where he works. He reinforced the hitch on and bumper on our tent trailer, and it's solid as a rock. We can now carry 4 bikes (more if we needed) on the bumper of our tent trailer. That was not possible before.

My main concern is getting it home if we purchase it.
  • Apr 16, 2014, 04:09 PM
    Alty
    Too late. Just got an email from the seller. The trailer is sold. :(
  • Apr 16, 2014, 04:58 PM
    odinn7
    Buy it! Buy it! I saw the picture and it's a classic that is worth 20 times what the seller is asking! He doesn't know what kind of gold mine he is sitting on!!!! BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!! You should definitely go and.....oh....oh, it's been sold? Oh, then uh....forget what i said.
  • Apr 16, 2014, 05:06 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Buy it! Buy it! I saw the picture and it's a classic that is worth 20 times what the seller is asking! He doesn't know what kind of gold mine he is sitting on!!!! BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!! You should definitely go and.....oh....oh, it's been sold? Oh, then uh....forget what i said.

I'm sticking my tongue out at you, and rolling my eyes. Mean boy! ;)
  • Apr 16, 2014, 06:18 PM
    odinn7
    Sorry...just trying to lighten it up. I know missing out on it got you down.
  • Apr 16, 2014, 06:48 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Sorry...just trying to lighten it up. I know missing out on it got you down.

Still sticking my tongue out at you. But ya, you cheered me up a bit. Still, you deserve a good tongue lashing. ;)
  • Apr 17, 2014, 03:05 AM
    tickle
    There will be other good buys, Alty. Keep looking and listening. Maybe one with a good intact trailer hitch so you can buy it and get it home right away.
  • Apr 17, 2014, 03:17 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    There will be other good buys, Alty. Keep looking and listening. Maybe one with a good intact trailer hitch so you can buy it and get it home right away.

Thanks Tickle. I'm hoping. Sadly I think we missed the season. Right now it's definitely a sellers market, so not a lot of great deals out there. Perfect time to sell, not such a great time to buy. :(
  • Apr 17, 2014, 03:41 PM
    Cat1864
    Alty, I will admit that was concerned about water damage from the vent.

Better luck in the future. :)
  • Apr 17, 2014, 03:46 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Alty, I will admit that was concerned about water damage from the vent.

Better luck in the future. :)

LOL! That's the one thing I didn't worry about. I'll tell you why.

A long time ago, in Canada, middle of winter, snow up to my chin, I was a 12 year old girl. My friend was over for a sleepover, and my parents went to play cards at a neighbors house.

I got the bright idea to walk on the roof of our ten trailer. The snow on that roof was around 4 feet high, untouched, and it was so tempting.

Well I did it, and low and behold, my foot went right through the vent.

I was scared poopless that when my parents found out, I'd be in a world of trouble. I stressed about it the entire time they were gone.

They came home, I came clean, and my dad said "we needed to replace that vent anyway". All that worry, hours worth, for nothing.

In the spring we put up the trailer. No damage at all. All that snow melted on the trailer and there was no damage.

So the vent really didn't worry me.

The hitch did.

But it's a moot point now. The trailer is sold to someone else.

I'm sad. :(
  • Apr 17, 2014, 04:18 PM
    cdad
    There are plenty out there. It is mostly a matter of how much you want to spend.
  • Apr 17, 2014, 04:20 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    There are plenty out there. It is mostly a matter of how much you want to spend.

That's the main problem. I could find a trailer tomorrow, if I had the money they want. But I don't. That's why I'm looking at older trailers. We're willing to spend up to $1500, but would prefer to spend less. There's not a lot available in that price range, and those that are, go fast. Too fast for us. :(
  • Apr 18, 2014, 03:43 AM
    cdad
    Incase you didnt notice the one I posted earlier was under $1,000. Since you know what your willing to spend its just a matter of narrowing the search down and how far your willing to drive to get it.
  • Apr 24, 2014, 04:56 PM
    Alty
    Found a new deal. I was the first to respond! It's a 1986 Dodge Diplomat motorhome, 26ft. Engine runs great, had some leak issues but the owner fixed it. No pictures so I don't really know what it looks like. He emailed me that it's rough looking on the outside, but the inside is immaculate. Sadly he couldn't send pictures because the motorhome is 3 hours away, from him, and from us. But the price is what caught my eye. He's asking $500 obo. For a motorhome!

My husband isn't big on getting a motorhome. It has a motor, so it has all the issues a vehicle has. A pull trailer is much easier to maintain. Also, when you're camping for 2 weeks or so, sooner or later you have to get groceries. With a motorhome you're driving it to go grocery shopping. We'd have to get an inspection done since it is a vehicle and over 10 years old. But those are really his only issues, and they're not huge. My parents had a motorhome. We loved it.

The things we love about a motorhome is that you're not stuck in a car for 12 hours. You can sit at the table playing games. If you have to use the bathroom, no need to stop, just get up and go to the bathroom. If you're leaving at 6am and the kids are sleepy, they can go into the motorhome and just lie in bed. It's great for the dogs too. I prefer a motorhome, just never thought we could afford one.

What do you guys think? This would be site unseen. Yes, we can say no if we don't like it once we see it, but it's a 3 hour plus drive to go view it. That's a lot of gas money, and time, if we end up hating it.
  • Apr 24, 2014, 05:29 PM
    odinn7
    He has to know someone that is near the motorhome, why would it be 3 hours away from him? There has to be someone nearby that can take pictures and get them to you. I don't want to pee on your happiness but keep this in mind...if it's too good to be true...
  • Apr 24, 2014, 05:37 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

He has to know someone that is near the motorhome, why would it be 3 hours away from him? There has to be someone nearby that can take pictures and get them to you. I don't want to pee on your happiness but keep this in mind...if it's too good to be true...

Party pooper! ;)

It's on a lake lot in Fox Creek. He drove it there last month, planned to use it there on the lot for the summer.

Now he has to move, and doesn't want the burden of taking the motorhome with him, since he's moving out of the province.

There's no one at the lake lot yet, since it's only April. He has no friends in that area.

He needs to sell it fast because he's moving in a few days. He's taking a cut on what he paid only because he can't take it with him.

Ya, it is too good to be true, but hey, aren't I due for something good to happen to me?