Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Criminal Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407)
-   -   Can you run for a Union Rep position in PA position with a felony on your record? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=644298)

• Mar 18, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Theresa6868
    Can you run for a Union Rep position in PA position with a felony on your record?
    My friend wants to run for a Union Rep/Leadership position for a Local Union in Philadelphia, PA. He has a Federal felony charge on his record that dates back to 1991, with the convition of that felony being made in 1996. He has worked as a Journeyman for this same Union for 17 years and would like to run for an office/leadership position within that same union.
  • Mar 18, 2012, 07:30 AM
    excon
    Hello T:

There's no LAW that would prevent him, but there might be a union rule against it. That's where to look.

excon
  • Mar 18, 2012, 09:04 AM
    Theresa6868
    Thank you so much excon-it's NOT in the Union by law book but he's being told it would prevent him from running-when it's a known fact there have been felons on the Business payroll for decades.
  • Mar 18, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Theresa6868
    Hi Excon,

Thank you so much for your answer. He can't find anything in the Union By-Law? Book stating it could stop him from running. It was a non-violent drug offense that stems back from 1991 and he's been with that Union for 17 years now. It's a known fact that there have been felons in office in this Union over decades, I think he's going to have to look into it with the International Union since the Local isn't giving any answer except "no."

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
  • Mar 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Theresa6868 View Post
    I think he's going to have to look into it with the International Union since the Local isn't giving any answer except "no."

Hello T:

I HOPE your husband engages them in this fight. In fact, his campaign can be BASED on it. Who the hell are these crooked union reps telling him he can't run when there's NO rule on it whatsoever? They DON'T obey the rules.

Secondarily, I don't know why he needs somebody's permission to run. I don't think he does.. I've never heard of such a thing. Look. He NEEDS a campaign. He NEEDS something to run on. They're HANDING him a reason WHY they should be thrown out. He should EXPLOIT it. Nobody is going to stop him from talking to his union brothers. Nobody is going to stop him from handing out literature. Nobody is going to stop him from handing out signs. Nobody is going to stop him from press briefings. He HAS free speech rights.

That's what I'd do. I'd TAKE charge. I wouldn't be asking the union if I could please, pretty please, run for office.. I'd RUN. That's what leaders DO.

excon
  • Mar 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    There are no state laws on this, if would have to be a rule and if he is being told he can not, demand to see the rule. If they refuse to take his application for this, file or sue them.
  • Mar 19, 2012, 03:50 AM
    Theresa6868
    Good Morning Excon, thanks for your input. That's exactly what my friend is doing, he's running anyway (of course!) We didn't drink the Kool Aid either. He just had a few Union Brothers (who are some of the good guys) tell him that they think there's a Union by law that has that clause in it and we're trying to find out if that's true.
    We just heard that the current leadership is about to face a Fed. Indictment on money laundering/fraud so according to their made up by laws, they're not eligible to even be in office anymore haha!
    Your replies have been very helpful and inspiring. All he wants is a Union back where the member's votes actually mean something-where they count. Have a nice day!
    Fr. Chuck-thanks for your input and we are going to demand to see the rule, I don't think they're going to provide it because it doesn't exist (also like the quote on Faith.)