Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Gifted Children (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Boys are more gifted than girls? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=58639)

• Jan 30, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Gery
    Boys are more gifted than girls?
    Hello :) I'm writing a research paper on the topic above- Boys are more gifted than girls (or the opposite). I need a credible sources or suggestions where I can find some information :) tnx
  • Jan 30, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Thegreywizard
    For some reson I can't post my full ancer to u.
  • Jan 30, 2007, 10:25 AM
    NeedKarma
    What's your definition of 'gifted'?
    What age range are we talking about?
  • Jan 30, 2007, 10:30 AM
    valinors_sorrow
    This may not help much but I heard or read (and now I can't remember where) that as far as IQ is concerned, the men tend to cluster more at either end of the scale while women cluster more in the middle - which would make more male geniuses but conversely more mentally challenged males too... evening it all out to some degree, I suppose?

But it seems to me there is a measure of controversy concerning how IQ testing is done with the argument that white MALE culture predominants the testing subject matter, therefore giving that segment of the population an advantage. I was impressed when researching the "universal" genius topic online recently (universal genius scores off the charts in every category equally whereas most gifted are gifted in only certain areas like some savants are) that the only living one on record is a woman named Marilyn who is married to Dr Jarvik, the artificial heart inventor. So that blows a hole in the men are more gifted deal a little bit too, hmmm. History does show more documented male universals than female but that is just too easily dismissed by how during much of history men have been the cultural power and the historians both.

Maybe you need to modify or narrow your topic a bit to better reflect what the facts will back up, if that is possible. Its been pretty well established that men and women do think differently. Nowhere is it more evident than in processing spacial information, therefore making it biological that men tend to be better drivers than women. LOL

Perhaps if you reached the Mensa Society they could point you in a profitable direction. Look to see if they are listed in your phone directory. Bear in mind that not all "giftedness" is correlated to IQ - the arts, for example. Good luck in your research!

PS -- Look here too
  • Jan 30, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Gery
    I don't exactly know the age, but may be five- seven years old
  • Jan 30, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Gery
    That for the driving skills can help. It's controversial topic, I like it- thanks :) Do you know where I can find credible sources? :rolleyes:
  • Jan 30, 2007, 12:06 PM
    NeedKarma
    It's all about knowing the correct terms for googling. :)

gifted children + gender - Google Search
  • Oct 5, 2007, 10:50 AM
    gallivant_fellow
    A big difference between male and female intelligence is the way in which they are intelligent. Males are usually more spatial thinkers, like Einstein, and are thought to be better at solving mathematical and scientific problems like: What is a black hole? Scientists even think that Autism might be a very male brain (Huge brain growth in some regions, but low hemispheric activity).

Females brains are thought to be more connected. They are supposed to have much better verbal skills and be better at multi-tasking and monotonous tasks. Another thing I should add is that many males have female brains and vice versa, so you can't really characterize a whole gender. There are a lot of other factors too, but I'm trying to deliver this as black and white as I can.

My opinion is that the majority of men are more likely to become successful inventors and theorists, while (in an equal world) women would be more likely to become successful managers, CEOs, and other positions that require advanced people skills.

Here is a pretty cool article about the differences in white matter and gray matter in female and male brains. ScienceDaily: Intelligence In Men And Women Is A Gray And White Matter
  • Nov 12, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Mylittlesunshyne
    You may find info. On wikipedia, or take some from my memory from reading a topic on wikipedia... Some studies have shown that boys are more gifted in mathematics and spacial thinking and logic, while women are more profound in spelling and writing an vocabulary