Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Appliances (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   GE Refrigerator side by side leaking under ice and water dispenser. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=205775)

• Apr 14, 2008, 01:23 PM
    DDJ
    GE Refrigerator side by side leaking under ice and water dispenser.
    I have the GE side by side about a year old and it has leaked under the water & ice dispenser every since I purchased it. The repairman said to put a paper towel under the lift out tray, but that doesn't help. It leaks down the front of my black refrigerator and looks bad and is impossible to clean.
  • Feb 25, 2011, 07:46 AM
    drtom4444
    If you can attach a picture somehow it would help me to diagnose the problem. Some GE refrigerators had a problem with the insulation on the freezer door and were recalled. My guess is that what you are seeing in condensation and to fix this it requires you to remove the door and lay it on a table. Remove all screws around the edge of door under lip of door gasket and around where the ice door is located. Remove inside panel from door and look at insulation which is blown-in foam. Look for moisture which will be near where there is an air leak. If you see it, especially above where you saw water you have found the problem. Also, look at water lines and connectors for leaks. If you need to replace couplings be careful to replace the fittings and do not use too much force to put back together; always buy a few extra plastic ferrules which go around tube and seal the connector as you may ruin a few before you get it right. Put door out in sun to dry thoroughly or use a hair drier. Don't rush this step because it needs to be very, very dry. Any moisture will ruin parts inside once sealed. When dry put clear silicone caulking around edges and on all parts that contact each other between two parts of door Get the good GE silicone caulk that smells like vinegar, NEVER the cheap stuff! It should cost about $6-10. This is the step that GE neglected that led to a big class-action lawsuit on their last line of electronic, fancy refrigerators. I found two of these and sealed them as described above and they have worked perfectly since then. It's ironic that they make the product to fix the problem and their failure to use it cost all the problems. Good luck. This job is easier than it would seem. Just look carefully for any place that can leak air or water. Air leaks are harder to find, so look at it closely when you first pull it apart.If there is a plastic sheet between the two parts of door put caulk on both sides of it. The reason the repairmen do not want to fix it, especially from GE is that there may be a recall on it, and it takes time to do right. DrTom4444
  • Mar 5, 2012, 07:54 AM
    chasman55
    I have a GE side by side model GSS25WSTI. I had the same problem. Water was running down the front of the freezer door from either bottom corner of the water/ice dispenser. At first, I thought it was just that water was getting under the tray and filling up and running over, but that wasn't the case. It was coming from behind/under the frame of the dispenser unit. I took out the lift-out tray and completely dried the floor of the dispenser and inspected it. It is black and very hard to tell, but I thought there may be a crack in the corner. I applied a thin line of clear pure silicone caulking all around the inside corners of the base (part under the lift-out tray) of the dispenser. That fixed our problem.
  • Mar 5, 2012, 11:09 AM
    drtom4444
    You never know. You could try drying it out really well and applying silicone, but you need to find out for sure. You can put a few drops of food coloring in the tray and a little water and let it sit a while to see if the water that leaks is the same color. Bleach and water will get rid of the food coloring if it gets on the floor.
  • Jul 31, 2013, 03:16 AM
    Water leaks from behind dispenser when I hold glass to dispenser. Can you help
  • Jul 31, 2013, 07:55 AM
    drtom4444
    If it leaks when you put a glass under it and fill the glass then the hose going to the spout is leaking. This is easy to repair, depending on how it is attached. You will most likely need to remove the door, but before you do that you need to inspect it and see if you will be able to get it apart. Does it have screws under the gasket which allow you to remove the rear cover? I do not have a description or diagram to guide me. When you get to the spout, you will have to see how it is attached. If it's just soft plastic tubing then all you need to do is to cut off the end and immerse in hot water to soften it and push it back on and use a clamp, if possible or if it had one before. It may be fairly easy to fix.