Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Office Management (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Absent -- need a definition (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=668332)

• Jun 7, 2012, 06:11 PM
    rrandykkkl
    Absent -- need a definition
    What is excessive absenteeism
  • Jun 7, 2012, 06:26 PM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rrandykkkl View Post
    What is excessive absenteeism

When you are not around when they need you. You are kidding, right, that you don't know what this means?
  • Jun 7, 2012, 06:38 PM
    rrandykkkl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    when you are not around when they need you. you are kidding, right, that you dont know what this means?

Really I want to know I only call when my babies r sick I have pto and last month I had a sick baby and One day I had to get my five yr old from school because he was fighting if I am sick can teyś fire me?
  • Jun 7, 2012, 06:39 PM
    rrandykkkl
    I never call for me being sick
  • Jun 7, 2012, 06:48 PM
    Wondergirl
    Does the company have an attendance/absence policy?
  • Jun 7, 2012, 06:58 PM
    rrandykkkl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Does the company have an attendance/absence policy?

No
  • Jun 7, 2012, 07:01 PM
    Wondergirl
    How many people work there? Were you scolded for "excessive absenteeism"?
  • Jun 7, 2012, 07:04 PM
    itsimplytruth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rrandykkkl View Post
    Really I want to know I only call when my babies r sick I have pto and last month I had a sick baby and One day I had to get my five yr old from school because he was fighting if I am sick can teyś fire me?

Usually, the company has a absent/tardy policy that they would have given you in your new employee hand book. Try looking there. Yes they can fire or terminate you if you do not adhere to this policy. Most companies have a progressive discipline policy that they would follow... which means that if you miss say 3 days is the max then you would get a verbal miss 2 more days you would get a written and so on.

It is very important that you know the law of your state because some states are "at will" which means that if the employer decides to fire you they don't necessarily have to have a reason. This should be in your handbook as well.

If nothing else call your Human Resources and they should be able to tell you.

I hope this helps.
  • Jun 7, 2012, 07:09 PM
    rrandykkkl
    Never I have never been in trouble I've been the star for 2 yrs now but we are downsizing I want,to know if they can fire me thinking they won't pay unemployment if I am sick I don't feel good and know if I don't rest it could get bad I got pneumonia last time I was like this because I never take care of me
  • Jun 7, 2012, 07:11 PM
    rrandykkkl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by itsimplytruth View Post
    Usually, the company has a absent/tardy policy that they would have given you in your new employee hand book. Try looking there. Yes they can fire or terminate you if you do not adhere Yto this policy. Most companies have a progressive discipline policy that they would follow...which means that if you miss say 3 days is the max then you would get a verbal miss 2 more days you would get a written and so on.

It is very important that you know the law of your state because some states are "at will" which means that if the employer decides to fire you they don't necessarily have to have a reason. This should be in your handbook as well.

If nothing else call your Human Resources and they should be able to tell you.

I hope this helps.

I work in an,at will state
  • Jun 7, 2012, 07:12 PM
    Wondergirl
    Also, you don't want to go to work sick and infect everyone else. You will very quickly become disliked.
  • Jun 7, 2012, 07:13 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    In smaller companies, excessive is what ever the manager or owner thinks it is

For some companies I have worked for they look at anything over 5 percent as excessive.

Normally for others it is how it effects the company,
  • Jun 7, 2012, 07:56 PM
    itsimplytruth
    Personally, If you are sick you are sick... if your children are sick they are sick.. if you have no one to care for them but you then you have to take care of your children. If they fire you then you can always apply for unemployment. They can try to keep you from getting it but hopefully you will get it. If they deny you then you will have an opportunity to appeal.

More Over try talking to your supervisors and let them know what is going on with you and family. You will be surprised at how people will try to assist you and keep you from losing your job if in fact you are a good employee.