Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=289)
-   -   1980s Dragon Cartoon (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=181790)

• Feb 8, 2008, 11:37 AM
    klecser
    1980s Dragon Cartoon
    When I was a kid I remember an animated dragon cartoon that was a one shot deal or just a mini series. It was a serious cartoon. One of the events in it may have been a dragon egg hatching and a boy getting the dragon or being protected by dragons in some fantasy realm. It may have been an after school special movie, but obviously not one in which there was a "moral" or anything like the classic "After School Specials". It is NOT the Dragon's Lair cartoon or the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon or "Flight of Dragons".

Can anyone help me find references to it? My internet searches have all been dead ends.
  • Feb 9, 2008, 04:07 PM
    sleestack
    I can't remember the name of the cartoon either. But I am looking for it too, a bit of nostalgia for it. Please post the answer if you find it. I was just a kid when it came out, but in my eyes it was very cool. It wasn't an afterschool special, because I remember watching it in the evening. Also I remember one of the kids turning into a dragon, but he still had a kids voice. There was one scene where he battled another dragon and the other dragon burned from head to tail like a fuse on a firecracker. Maybe this will help jog your memory.
  • Feb 9, 2008, 06:25 PM
    klecser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sleestack
    I can't remember the name of the cartoon either. But I am looking for it too, a bit of nostalgia for it. Please post the answer if you find it. I was just a kid when it came out, but in my eyes it was very cool. It wasn't an afterschool special, because I remember watching it in the evening. Also I remember one of the kids turning into a dragon, but he still had a kids voice. There was one scene where he battled another dragon and the other dragon burned from head to tail like a fuse on a firecracker. Maybe this will help jog your memory.

You're ringing bells, but I don't think I'll ever be able to come up with a name. I was too young to care about names of shows I think. :(

Anyone else? :D
  • Feb 10, 2008, 02:01 AM
    sleestack
    I think I found it. I believe it was called "The Flight of Dragons"
    Here are some links
    The Flight of Dragons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Dragon Movies
    http://members.tripod.com/~gruaglothor/tfodm.htm
  • Feb 10, 2008, 02:02 AM
    sleestack
    Bummer, I guess you said that wasn't it! That was the one I was thinking of.
  • Feb 10, 2008, 10:13 AM
    klecser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sleestack
    Bummer, I guess you said that wasn't it! That was the one I was thinking of.

There are parts that look familiar but parts that don't. I may just be not remembering correctly. But thanks for your help and I'm glad I jogged your memory! :D
  • Mar 26, 2008, 01:02 AM
    Dalivus
    It was an After School Special based on the book Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen. Sadly, I can't seem to find any reference to an existing video of it anywhere, but I'm certain as it was my favorite book and I remember the cartoon.
  • Mar 26, 2008, 04:56 PM
    klecser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalivus
    It was an After School Special based on the book Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen. Sadly, I can't seem to find any reference to an existing video of it anywhere, but I'm certain as it was my favorite book and I remember the cartoon.

You got it! :D It was a CBS Storybreak!! Thanks.
  • Jun 3, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Wolf Illusions
    Quote:

Originally Posted by klecser
    When I was a kid I remember an animated dragon cartoon that was a one shot deal or just a mini series. It was a serious cartoon. One of the events in it may have been a dragon egg hatching and a boy getting the dragon or being protected by dragons in some fantasy realm. It may have been an after school special movie, but obviously not one in which there was a "moral" or anything like the classic "After School Specials". It is NOT the Dragon's Lair cartoon or the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon or "Flight of Dragons".

Can anyone help me find references to it? My internet searches have all been dead ends.

I have that cartoon I recorded a long time ago.
  • Jun 11, 2008, 02:10 PM
    lynchie
    Hi you I think I have found it!! Try googling Nezha Conquers the Dragon King, Cartoon film from 1979... good luck!:)
  • Mar 24, 2009, 11:19 AM
    jcammisa
    DUDE! I was just scouring the internet trying to figure out what the name of that mini series was called. Its funny cause I know a recorded on to a tape of cartoons a billion years ago when it aired. Everything you've said so far so far is right on, about the dragon egg and the dragon protecting the kid and they're on some weird alien planet. The one other think I can remember is that they weren't called dragons but it was something like dracs or drakens. Hopefully that rings a bell and you remember the name and then let me know what that name is.
  • May 11, 2009, 10:17 AM
    Black Wolf
    Cbs storybreak ,
    Dragons Blood
    Book by jane yolen.
    Looking for the video for this anyone please? I miss this so bloody much :P
  • Aug 16, 2009, 06:00 PM
    twilightjaguar
    Wasn't it called Heart's Blood?
  • Sep 20, 2009, 09:18 PM
    KurtandDave
    Yeah I was trying to figure one out too that was kind of sounding like what was described. It wasn't the Nezha Conquers the Dragon King cartoon. The one I was thinking of is an american cartoon (at least I think so). In it there is this guy that lives in a mansion and he finds an egg on a stormy night and it hatches into a dragon who ends up growing and he raises it. The dragon ends up liking shiny things and it takes a pillow case and starts looting the mansion and goes crazy at a party and he gets excommunicated and ends up in a circus I believe then he ends up in a cave. Don't really remember the ending. Any ideas?
  • Oct 4, 2009, 11:45 AM
    reallyrosie84
    Found it, but not a recording of it yet- its from CBS Storybreak season 1, episode 9- Dragon's Blood

CBS Storybreak: Dragon's Blood episode on TV.com
  • Nov 4, 2009, 07:06 PM
    CeilidhChaos
    CBS Storybreak "Dragon's blood"
  • Apr 8, 2010, 11:38 AM
    fifteenthirteen
    It's called 'The Dragon Who Wasn't (Or Was He?) (1983)
  • Apr 8, 2010, 11:39 AM
    fifteenthirteen

It's called "The Dragon Who Wasn't (or Was He?) (1983)
  • May 11, 2010, 08:34 PM
    angela_1973
    I've heard two different things, one that it was called dragons blood and two that it was called hearts blood, I think both are right, however Dragons Blood was the actual name of the cartoon, and Hearts Blood was the name of the dragon that Jakkin bonded with, I am also looking for this particular video, its been 27 years since I saw it as a little girl and I want to see it again so badly, if anyone happens to come along a link that actually has the show to view please e mail me at [email protected] I would be glad to do the same for anyone else who wishes the same thing. In the meantime I will keep searching
  • Dec 30, 2010, 09:42 AM
    StukNva
    I'm looking for the same type of cartoon but its not Flight of the Dragons or Nezha Conquers. The main character was a skinny goofy young man and was thrown into this fantasy quest by some sort of game master or a chess master in a store. The movie I'm thinking of is old school Japan animation or something. It involved the young man saving a dragon egg or maybe he was trying to escape from hatching dragon eggs (my memory is a little foggy about the exacts). Also there was a war of some sort between a red and black dragon.