Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Kitchen Faucet water pressure (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=30400)

  • Jul 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
    1009Wesley
    Kitchen Faucet water pressure
    Recently I replaced the kitchen faucet fixture in an apartment. The piping is old galvanized. We also replaced the supply lines and shut off valves. The supply lines are the new fangled flood proof lines that shut off automatically if the line is torn.

    The problem is we now have much reduced water pressure. I have cleaned the aerator from rust debris, and checked all the shut off valves. Can someone advise me on what the next best step would be in order to return the old water pressure to normal? I am a novice with plumbing, but I know the basics. Could the new faucet be causing the problem? Could it be those new type of supply lines? Could I install a different type of aerator to use the existing volume and create greater water pressure?

    Any ideas?
  • Jul 28, 2006, 03:45 PM
    allozier
    The new faucets that are sold these days have a water saver installed in them. Try taking your aerator off and see what kind of pressure you have then, if your pressure returns to normal then the water saver device is your problem. If that is the problem you can either remove the water saver device or go to your hardware store and buy an aerator that does not have the water saver component. The water saver device is in the aerator itself if you remove the aerator there should be a small plastic piece in there with a small hole in the center of it some of these are removable some are not. If that does not work you will have to experiment with your lines it is possible that when you removed the galvanized pipe a chunk of the mineral deposit build up broke loose and got stuck in your faucet this can be fixed by back flushing the system.
  • Jul 31, 2006, 10:12 AM
    1009Wesley
    Thank you for the reply. I spent about 2 hours this weekend trying to find the problem and it was indeed a mineral deposit. With the new flood safe water lines installed, the blockage had gotten caught in the assembly of the line. I removed the blockage and replaced the water line and problems solved.

    Thank you for your advice

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 AM.