Why is my 25 year old so selfish, and disrespectful?

Asked Mar 8, 2012, 10:58 AM 21 Answers
    My 25 year old acts like a 17 year old. I think she should be told to move out but I'm afraid she will end up on the street. I want her to know I'm here to help if she needs it but she has to grow up.

She has a job, we let her use our car to get to and from work. We have told her a number of times to not smoke in it, and to watch her speed. We know how fast she is driving (145). She was given three warnings then my husband cut her off. Told her he would address the matter in a month. Her response was a lot of yelling and screaming, big deal, I dropped an ash, blah, blah, blah, and ending with go f%^* yourself.

I don't understand her. We charge her a small amount of rent a month and she can barely make those payments, can't see how she can afford her own apartment. My husband is threatening to move out to his own apartment. (he says I can come too) she will destroy our house.

I have asthma and have asked her not to smoke in the house. She smokes in her room, and thinks if she lights candles, has a fan going and makes it so I don't smell it it is okay??

She just doesn't get it. How can I make her grow up? I love her with all my heart please don't be too nasty with any comments about her, or us.

Last edited by talaniman; Mar 8, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
    Search this Question
    richie2256's Avatar
    richie2256 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#21

Jun 3, 2013, 08:12 PM
    She is autistic. I was seeing a girl like this who completely selfish and could see no wrong in her own actions. Autistic people vary a lot and have different problems and areas that appear to be missing from their brain. They would appear completely heartless too.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 36,817, Reputation: 5321
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

#22

Jun 3, 2013, 08:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by richie2256 View Post
    She is autistic ... They would appear completely heartless too.
    No, autism does not seem to be her "problem."

Not true -- I am married to one and have a son who is autistic, plus count several autistic people among my friends. "Completely heartless" they are not.

Disrespectful, lazy 26 year old daughter [ 10 Answers ]

I have a daughter who is 26 years old, single with 1 child and is disrespectful to her parents. She lived with a useless, controlling boyfriend that got her preqnant a couple years ago. We finally got her and her son (our grandson whom we dearly love) to move back in with us. She was going to...

How to evict a disrespectful 22 year old child [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 22 and lives with me. I raised him as a single mother since his dad and I divorced and the dad moved out of the country - barely seeing him in 12 years. So, its been my full job. My son has emotional issues. He is easily depressed with bouts of anger and major issues of disrespect...

22 Year old Daughter disrespectful [ 22 Answers ]

Just wondered if I'm in the wrong or is she right? I am a widow and have been raising my now 22 year old daughter. She has this boyfriend that is an airline pilot and he really doesn't act like he really cares for her. He didn't txt or emails my daughter for a month or two. She didn't hear...

Disrespectful 19 year old child [ 7 Answers ]

At my wit's end! I have a 19 year old who just graduated last May. He's my first born and was an only child for 10 years. I was in a verbally/emotionally abusive relationship with his father, my husband. We were 21 when he was born and had no relationship skills, but we loved each other. We...

12 year old stepson VERY disrespectful [ 7 Answers ]

I am a step-father to a 12 year old that is very disrespectful. This child has been head strong since day one when I entered there lives five years ago. The father had not been involved in her life until I came into the picture. This child goes to her father every other weekend and two times a...