Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Other Law (
-   -   Auto Insurance and registration (

  • May 26, 2019, 12:56 PM
    Auto Insurance and registration
    The car registration and insurance ID cards are in the father;s name. But
    the son does all the driving. Do you see a problem if the police pull the son
    over for traffic incident?
  • May 26, 2019, 01:04 PM
    Are the registration papers and insurance cards in the glove compartment or in the son's wallet -- handy and up to date?
  • May 26, 2019, 01:14 PM
    in the glove compartment
  • May 26, 2019, 01:26 PM

    Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    in the glove compartment

    Thanks. How old is the son? Why doesn't Dad drive? Does the son have his own car?
  • May 26, 2019, 01:32 PM
    No there is no issue, The father owns the car, so the insurance must be in his name. The son must or should be listed as the primary driver with the insurance company. It will not show his name on the ID card.
    If son gets into accident and is the primary driver, and the son is not listed as a driver on the policy (esp if the son is a minor) the insurance company may refuse to pay and/or only pay a reduced amount
  • May 26, 2019, 03:59 PM
    The son and wife are listed as drivers. But not listed on the insurance ID card.
    But insurance policy has them listed.
  • May 27, 2019, 04:14 AM
    Insurance card from almost all companies do not list the list of drivers for the vehicles. They merely list the primary insured name, which must match the name the car is registered in. For most states, but not all, all of that information is available for the police officer when he checks the license plate number.

    For example here in Illinois, the officer will know who the car is registered to, that address, if the car is insured and if that is up to date.
    (the card may have a longer date but may have been canceled, the officer would know that, also they know if you have a weapons permit. at least here in Illionis, it is connected to drivers license and connected to a car registered in your name
  • May 27, 2019, 07:11 AM
  • May 27, 2019, 04:01 PM
    In fact, if you are driving any car and get into an accident, the insurance (Fathers car) might try to have your insurance (If you have a car) cover damages.
    Rare occasions will an insurer not cover an individual. Years ago I went in to sign up for auto insurance. Before I signed the papers, they specifically denied coverage of two people (brother, friend), if they drove my car. One was my brother another was my friend (one no longer lived in the US.) I told them I would not Deny my brother the use of my car, they caved and gave me insurance. Insurance coverage is on the car, so anybody driving that car should be covered, unless specifically specified. Of course the insurance agency can do what ever they please.
  • May 27, 2019, 05:24 PM
    Thank You

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:55 PM.