Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Other Home & Garden (
-   -   I need a intake valve seat inside the head of my b&s 287707 1272-e1 (

  • Aug 2, 2009, 02:05 PM
    I need a intake valve seat inside the head of my b&s 287707 1272-e1
    I reciently acquired a murry lawn tractor and Ive had to do some work to it before I could get it running. Its sat behind my father in laws shed for around 2 years prior to me grabbing it. But anyhow, After a few minor repairs I got it running fairly good. Well today I was mowing the yard and all the sudden it started backfired and died. I removed the head after noticing the springs where way off and the intake valve seat was stuck between the valve and the head. It broke loose from the head and craked into about 10 pieces. I have looked around and can't seem to find a valve seat on the B&S site. Just a whole new head. Anyone know where I can get just a replacement intake valve seat that I can press in myself?
    Any help is appreciated
  • Aug 2, 2009, 06:10 PM

    Though seats are available for L-head engines, they are not for OHVs. I can tell you they are not a big selling part when available. I can count on the fingers of one hand the ones I have sold in approaching four decades.
    My best idea is to go to some local dealers, I hope you have some good ones, and look for a machine with a blown up engine, or ask who he (the dealer) sells his trade-ins to, or try to find a local mower junkyard. Picking up a used head would seem the best option, and maybe the second choice in the list could be good as he may buy more than one dealers' trade-ins.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:01 AM.