Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Gardening & Plants (
-   -   MM, "Hypo keys vs. Woodruff" and split pins (

  • Oct 21, 2007, 10:32 AM
    MM, "Hypo keys vs. Woodruff" and split pins
    What's the difference between a HYPO Key and a Woodruff Key?

    I need a split pin/tension/spiral pin 7/32 dia x 1.125 or 1.250 long. Have a source? Sears p/n 59294. NLA from Sears

    How about key, Hypo 3/16 x 3/4 (from Sears site), Sears p/n 59240? Slot in shaft is about 0.200" wide and 0.600" L. The height of a replacement pin would be about 0.250". I guess it makes sense. Key is available from sears. It's part of a clutch assembly. A pulley must easily slide over key. Any idea how to size these beasts from shaft measurements?
  • Oct 28, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Sorry, no I do not.
  • Nov 11, 2007, 09:54 PM
    1 Attachment(s)
    Well, it seems that not very many people know the difference. Sears doesn't. Part lookup says HyPro. They sent me a Woodruff. The Hardware store doesn't. Package said Woodruff It was a HyPro, but the wrong size. The Lawnmower shop was aware of the different keys.

    I've attached a picture of a #9 Woodruff and a HP 606 which probably can replace a #9 Woodruff. It definitely appears that it doesn't work the other way. At least that's what the data says. The HP 606's are nearly $7.00 each though from a manufacturer.

    A Woodruff key looks like part of a circle. It's less than a semi circle.

    The HyPro Key is a Woodruff with ears. It's a little longer and it has a larger flat, thus I suppose that it sits further into the channel. In my application, a snowblower clutch, a Woodruff Key would not work.

    I found the 7/32" roll pin too. It seems to be a very odd size.

    Now we know.


  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 PM.