Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    single1980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2015, 05:41 PM
    Husband left pregnant wife moved out if state
    My husband of 1 1/2 years left and moved out of state. I am now 6mo. Pregnant with our child. Can I file divorce and abandonment? He sends nothing left me with a large amount of bills!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2015, 06:25 PM
    Not sure where this myth about filing abandonment comes from, it is a legal term, often used in divorce and child support paper work, to justify the divorce.

You will have to check where you live, In many places you can not file for divorce until after the child is born, But that will vary by location.

But you see if you can file for divorce, if there is any property you may want to file a separation now, IF you have any joint bank accounts or credit cards, you may also want to consider canceling them, so he does not run up more debt, that they may try to come after you with. Also if any money in the bank, in joint accounts, you stop using joint accounts, so he can not get your money going on.

If you have no money, no job, call social services and talk to a case worker about getting welfare and other help.

As for the bills, don't pay anything that is not needed. Don't even talk to debt collectors, because most will lie and even threaten (falsely) to try to get money from you.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 15, 2015, 06:25 PM
    You can file for divorce and when the child is born file for custody and child support.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 16, 2015, 04:39 AM
    Fr_Chuck says ' In many places you can not file for divorce until after the child is born, But that will vary by location.'
    I thought that only applied to a husband filing for divorce from a pregnant wife.
    It doesn't seem logical to me that a pregnant wife wouldn't be able to file yet.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 16, 2015, 05:01 AM
    How long has he been gone?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 16, 2015, 05:33 AM
    Yes, you can and should file immediately for divorce. But being married for only 1.5 years will probably not get you much in spousal support. Abandonment may be used as grounds for the divorce, but since most places have no fault divorce it really doesn't matter.

As soon as the child is born, you file for custody and child support.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 16, 2015, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Fr_Chuck says ' In many places you can not file for divorce until after the child is born, But that will vary by location.'
    I thought that only applied to a husband filing for divorce from a pregnant wife.
    It doesn't seem logical to me that a pregnant wife wouldn't be able to file yet.
    Joy, you are correct (A wife can file for divorce at any time and doesn't have to wait until a child is born); Fr Chuck is incorrect. I assume he is thinking of filing for custody in the case of out of wedlock child.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    ... As soon as the child is born, you file for custody and child support.
    I would file for custody and child support in the original divorce complaint, which OP should file now. Allege that OP is pregnant with a child of the marriage and that wife (OP) should be awarded custody & CS.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 16, 2015, 07:48 AM
    While I agree with AK, there may be local laws that would might prevent that, especially if the husband denies paternity.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 16, 2015, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    While I agree with AK, there may be local laws that would might prevent that, especially if the husband denies paternity.
    We don't seem to be disagreeing. I would note, however, that the husband cannot officially deny paternity until wife pleads it (i.e.: alleges it in her complaint).

I would also note that it was my practice (which other attorneys in my jurisdiction followed as well), when drafting a divorce complaint, to include a paragraph stating that the wife "... is (or is not) pregnant". Obviously, this would depend upon local practice, but would seem to be the common-sense approach, to avoid the necessity of later amendment. I grant you that courts don't always follow a common-sense approach, so OP would be best advised to seek the assistance of an attorney in her jurisdiction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Husband moved out of state and left my son and I in az, is this abandonment? [ 4 Answers ]

We now live in Georgia. I have phone contact with him from time to time. Our divorce is not final, nor has the paper work been submitted. He hasn't provided any support of any kind. Since he left in 11/09 we have seen him twice. I understand this is still a short amount of time but is this...

Sister left husband in CA and left state with baby [ 1 Answers ]

Ok this is a big mess and long story so for those of you that read it all thanks. My younger sister just moved back in with me with her 9 month old daughter. It started that she met this guy and got pregnant. They were going to get married and then things started getting really bad so she left...

Wife being sued by landlord after husband moved out [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I went into a contract to Lease to Own a house. During the time we lived there we got behind on the payments for the deposit and he moved out. Now the landlord has taken me to small claims to recover the money and now garnishing my wages. Is there anything I can do to have my ex...

Ex-wife moved out of state [ 2 Answers ]

Yes me and my ex-wife fought it out in court for custody of my 11 yr old daughter I was awarded joint custody and only 5 months after our divorce and 4000 dollars later she abused my dauhter nothing major just pulled her hair and twisted her arm. But was enough for me to go ballistic. Once I...

View more questions Search