Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Family Law (
-   -   Rights to remains (

  • Aug 3, 2011, 02:53 PM
    Rights to remains
    My daughters father passed away in April. I was told by his mom and her boyfriend that I need to sign a paper since she's a minor to give permission for him to be cremated. His mothers boyfriend who is an attorney told me that's what I was signing, I was an emotional wreck when I signed the paper not knowing I was signing to give his mother the remains. I signed it under false pretenses. I trusted her boyfriend that he was telling me the truth about what I was signing since he is an attorney. Long story short, my daughters grandmother now doesn't want anything to do with her. My daughter is 5 and I know that she will eventually want part or all of his ashes. What can I do to get at least half of his ashes for her?:confused:
  • Aug 4, 2011, 02:09 PM

    You can't get half his ashes, but if you are smart you will put 'something' in a little container and put it somewhere so your daughter will 'think' it is her dad's ashes, but I don't think it will ever be an issue if she is only five, giama. You are worrying unnecessarily about this. When the time comes and she starts asking, then I am sure you will have answers. Time heals old wounds, and this is what will happen eventually. Be patient, enjoy your daughter without worry.
  • Aug 4, 2011, 06:46 PM

    I am not sure why anyone would want the ashes to be frank, and unless a big deal is made of it, her entire life I doubt she will ever care. Perhaps there could be a memorial made for her, photos, some belongs, saved and stored , for her to remember him with.

    I have my dads pocket watch he carried ever day of his adult life and some other things that was important to him, I keep it in a small box and sometimes look at it when thinking of him.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 PM.