Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Family Law (
-   -   Emancipation (

  • Jul 3, 2006, 02:11 PM
    My grand-daughter is 17yrs. And 4mos. Old who wishes to be emancipated from her mother [my step-daughter] we suggested that she live with us to stop the tension, but her mother refuses to allow this because she says its something that the daughter wants. So my question is what can she do? She wants to stay with us until things get better at home or she turns 18 in another 8 months... thank you
  • Jul 3, 2006, 05:41 PM
    It depends on where the girl lives, for example in GA, at 17 there is nothing they can do, most states require 18. So if she leaves home before she is 18 the mother calls the police and turns her in as a runaway, she could end up in juv detention, foster home or the such. And at least go before the juv judge for being deliquent.

    And any custody battle would take over 8 months

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 AM.