Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Family Law (
-   -   Child Abandonment (

  • Apr 11, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Child Abandonment
    Hello. I have a qustion about child abandonment. My son's biological father hasn't seen his son since 9mons of age, my son is now 3yrs old. He does pay child support, not enough in my opinion. I haven't seen him (son's father) since our last court date which was Feb. 05'. I have met a wonderful man since then who I would like to eventually adopt my son. I guess what my question is since we haven't gone to court for custody and he hasn't seen him in over 2yrs, will this work to my advantage to not have him (son's bio-father) get any custody? I don't want to go to court and have the judge say he can visit weekends or anything. He doesn't deserve to see my little boy.
  • Apr 11, 2007, 10:52 AM
    First you need a custody order, if you don't have a order in place to say who has legal and physcial custody, nothing really stops the bio father from having the same rights as you, and there is little you could do.

    So LEGAL custody needs to be decided and ruled on by the court.
    As does child support, need to be set though court.

    So what custody is, it give YOU the custody and allows the father visitation, so you want CUSTODY for your protection.
  • Apr 11, 2007, 11:29 AM
    So what you're saying is there's a good chance that even though he hasn't seen my son in 2yrs that if we go to court that he could still get some kind of custody?

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 PM.