Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Family Law (
-   -   Can I get custody of my great nephew? (

  • Feb 2, 2015, 11:45 AM
    Can I get custody of my great nephew?
    Hi I live in Dallas, Ga! My niece and her son live with me. I need to know what can I do about her leaving him in the bed by himself and left with a friend. She didn't tell me she was going to be gone. This was on a Thursday night/Friday morning around one AM. I have spoken with her two time's. She will not tell me where she is at, or when she is coming home. Here it is Monday and she still isn't here. I haven't talked to her since five pm Saturday.

    Thanks. Just worried.
  • Feb 2, 2015, 01:38 PM
    AK lawyer
    I expect you can apply for custody. You should speak with an attorney in Georgia, but in most states parents (such as your niece) are preferred, and it will take a strong showing that your great-nephew's welfare is threatened by her behavior. In this case, she left him with you, presumably a responsible adult. So it would be tough to show that this incident alone is sufficient to warrant giving you custody.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 PM.