Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Family Law (
-   -   14 Years old and cries (

  • Jan 15, 2012, 10:37 PM
    14 Years old and cries
    My little sister is 14 and calls me crying to come get her. She wants to live with me and my husband and children. She is in an abusive home and the rest of us kids took off at 16 and 17. It's that bad... Would there be legal reprocussions if I just went and told parents I'm taking her and walk out the door. They both know if we went to court they would go to jail... And what do I have to do to get her in school, to doc and everything else?
  • Jan 16, 2012, 04:35 AM
    Yes, there could be serious repercussions. They are her legal guardians and, as such, removing her from their care would be illegal.

    On the other hand, if this is such a problem, why haven't you gone to your local Family Services agency? You should go to see them immediately, with or without your sister. Tell them what is going on and tell them you would like for your sister to come live with you.

    They will investigate and, if its as bad as you say, they will remove her from the situation. If you qualify, there should be no problem putting her in your care.
  • Feb 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
    I can't agree strongly enough with ScottGem. Call Social Services, explain the situation, and file the appropriate paperwork to report the abuse. Then offer to take your sister. Most social service agencies will happily turn a child over to relatives rather than put her into the system for foster care. The resources these days are limited, and every bit of help is welcome.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14 PM.