Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Dasiadnice83's Avatar
    Dasiadnice83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
    Can I register my boyfriends child for school
    My boyfriend is moving from Illinois to Indiana where I am. He has a 4 year old and his job is not allowing him to come until after school starts. What do I need to do register the child in school before he gets here. The child already lives with me.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,809, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

    Jul 16, 2012, 08:48 PM
    Call the school he will be going to and explain the situation. Ask them what you need to do to get him and paperwork/records ready for school admission -- or maybe you won't be able to do much at all officially since you are not his parent.

    Others will be along to chime in and will be able to give you more concrete information.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,292, Reputation: 7691

    Jul 16, 2012, 09:00 PM
    Normally you can not, since you have no legal position over the child, same as getting the child medical attention. In our schools here they would not even talk to you.

    But I would ask "what type of school" is a 4 year old going to, day care of some sort ?
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,267, Reputation: 5643

    Jul 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    But I would ask "what type of school" is a 4 year old going to, day care of some sort ?
    Pre-K starts at 4 years old in many areas.
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 3,998, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

    Jul 16, 2012, 11:16 PM
    Could even be registering for kindergarten. The children need to be turning 5 by November 2nd to enroll in K in CA. You may need to call the school district office since many schools are closed for the summer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my boyfriends child while the child is living with me? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together since June 2010. He just went to work 3 weeks ago so I have been supporting him and his 16 year old son, full-time student, for this time. Can I claim the child as my dependent since I am providing 90% plus of his support?

Boyfriends in middle school [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I need some help. There's this guy in my class. His name if Michael. My friend asked him out on the fifth day of school, and I didn't want her to because he might get freaked out. She pressured me into saying "fine, go ask him out, then!" he said, "No." Just a flat out, "No." He keeps...

Custodial parent let 14 yr old quit school. Child is 16, lying about home school [ 12 Answers ]

Custodial parent in Williamsport, Indiana PERMITTED 14 yr old daughter quit school. Now she's 16, and they're lying about home school AND PRIVATE SCHOOL EDUCATION. (1)They do not have internet access/ educational books or enough education or skill to provide home school education. (2) Isn't it...

Can a parent register a child for school that is not listed on the birth certificate? [ 5 Answers ]

Can a parent register a child for school that is not listed on the child's birth certificate?

Boyfriends still in school and its time for university in a different country [ 11 Answers ]

I've been seeing a guy for almost two years but he still has one year to go in school. I love him to pieces and want to stay with him. But I've always heard that long distance relationships don't work. I know I would see him during holidays but I also feel like I might be missing out on university...

View more questions Search