Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   The President's Afghanistan strategery (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=421373)

• Dec 7, 2009, 09:10 PM
    George_1950
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Then why is he even trying? Easy, it's all about Obama. His support was a means to an end and his "surge" is no different...election.

Exactly: victory in Obama's 'War of Necessity' will turn like his tax cut to 95% of Americans.
  • Dec 7, 2009, 09:57 PM
    galveston

Won't Obama's half hearted approach to the Afghanistan war lead to the same results that we got in VietNam?

We didn't try to win there. There were too many restrictions against our troops to succeed, so we lost.

Obama's approach will have to tighten up or we will lose. He needs to make up his mind if he wants to win or lose.
  • Dec 8, 2009, 06:21 AM
    tomder55
    Not really the same thing . I agree that the President's course is half hearted and that undermines chances of success.

However ;in the case of Vietnam ;a change in administration brought a counter-insurgency policy and "Vietnamization " strategy that was well on it's way to success until the US Congress cut the legs out from under it.

America's primary goal is in the end a stable Afghanistan that, if not democratic, then is at least opposed to jihadistan. That is easily acheivable without a big American foot print . What the President misses is that it will not happen overnight . His timeframe is self defeating .
  • Dec 8, 2009, 09:49 AM
    galveston

He could still end up snatching defeat from the very jaws of victory.
  • Dec 8, 2009, 09:59 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    He could still end up snatching defeat from the very jaws of victory.

Hello gal:

There would have to have been a victory from which he snatched defeat...

There ain't no victory happening there... There's only losses... EIGHT long years of losses. Do I have to mention WHO lost it for us?

It's his war NOW to win or lose... But, he was still wet behind the ears when Bush started that war. Try as you might, you can't hang this one on him.

excon
  • Dec 8, 2009, 11:04 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon View Post
    It's his war NOW to win or lose... But, he was still wet behind the ears when Bush started that war. Try as you might, you can't hang this one on him.

Try as you might you can't excuse Obama either. He wanted this war remember? He was going to finish this fight remember?

Quote:

"As President, I will pursue a tough, smart and principled national security strategy -- one that recognizes that we have interests not just in Baghdad, but in Kandahar and Karachi, in Tokyo and London, in Beijing and Berlin," he continued. "I will focus this strategy on five goals essential to making America safer: ending the war in Iraq responsibly; finishing the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban; securing all nuclear weapons and materials from terrorists and rogue states; achieving true energy security; and rebuilding our alliances to meet the challenges of the 21st century."
  • Dec 8, 2009, 05:10 PM
    galveston

Everyone wants a quick fix for the wars but it ain't going to happen.

Like it or not, this is a war of religion, and those just NEVER go away.
  • Dec 9, 2009, 03:50 AM
    Catsmine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    Everyone wants a quick fix for the wars but it ain't gonna happen.

Like it or not, this is a war of religion, and those just NEVER go away.

And what's worse, it's a war between Abrahamic religions. Family squabbles are always the nastiest.
  • Dec 9, 2009, 06:44 AM
    excon

Hello again,

So, when Bush used the term "crusade", he wasn't kidding. Can you spell it out for me?? Is this a war of Islam against Christianity?

I just want to know who my fellow fighters are cheering for.

excon
  • Dec 9, 2009, 07:13 AM
    tomder55

You know my position . It is for Cats to clarify .
  • Dec 9, 2009, 07:13 AM
    speechlesstx
    No, it's a holy jihad against all infidels, and as I noted in this thread the U.S. is blocking the return of the Hidden Imam. The Mahdi Hatter has proof.
  • Dec 9, 2009, 07:36 AM
    excon

Hello again,

For a moment, I thought we were going to get somewhere.. But, nahhh.

Frankly, galveston is the ONLY honest one among you. He ADMITS it's a religious war. The rest of you are trying to fool somebody.

WHY would you do that? Does it embarrass you that your country is involved in a religious struggle? I guess if you think this is a Christian country, it shouldn't bother you, and most of you DO think that. Do you think it will diminish our efforts if you say what you really think?

No, tom. I really DON'T know your stand. Is this Christianity against Islam?

You DO know, that ALL the Muslims in the world think it's so. I think it's so. Galveston thinks it's so. Why can't you admit it too? Wouldn't it be easier if truth were spoken here?

excon
  • Dec 9, 2009, 07:58 AM
    speechlesstx

I was honest, it is a jihad against all infidels - Christian or not. It is interesting to know you think Obama is engaged in a religious war, though. I'm sure Singapore, Jordan, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates will be pleased to know they're involved in waging a battle between Christianity and Islam also.
  • Dec 9, 2009, 08:20 AM
    tomder55
    If the jihadists think it is against Christianity then bully for them. They also attack people from their own religion and other religions also .

For my money jihadism is a political philosophy . I have said that many times but you refuse to hear it. Not all Muslims are radical jihadists looking to recreate the greater Califate . So I do not consider those Muslims enemies.
  • Dec 9, 2009, 08:28 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I have said that many times but you refuse to hear it.

Hello tom:

You remember MY positions better than I do YOURS. It's not intentional. It's age.

excon
  • Dec 9, 2009, 10:48 AM
    galveston

There are divisions among Muslims, just as there are divisiions in the Christian community.

Not all Muslims want to take us back to the 12th century. Only the fundamental Muslims want that, and that is where the base of the jihadists is.

Or at least, that is what I think based on the information that I have seen.