Must Have/Useful Programs

Asked Jan 21, 2005, 08:42 AM 66 Answers
    I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of useful programs that we could keep here. If a mod comes across this - could you sticky it please. It would be quite helpful. I'm bound to have missed some programs, so if there is some that you think should be on this list - post here or PM me and I'll add them to the list.

With all these programs, there is no right or wrong one to use. Many of these programs are free or at least will offer evaluation periods. Try a few of them and see which one you like the best.

Virus Scanners

If you don't have a virus scanner on your PC - get one and fast. New viruses are released every week and some scan spread all around the world in a matter of hours. The news nowadays is constantly filled with talks of new viruses trying to do this and that. The best way of putting a stop to them is to have a virus checker constantly running on your PC. Here are a few to select from:

Norton Antivirus - One of the most popular virus scanners out there. My personal choice.
    McAfee VirusScan - Also another of the more popular virus scanners out there.
    Eset Nod32 Antivirus
    Kaspersky Antivirus
    Kaspersky Online virus checker - Kaspersky also offer a free, online virus check for those who don't want to buy a virus scanner (tisk tisk).
    AVG Antivirus

Firewalls

Firewalls are another great way to stop many threats out there on the internet today. A firewall will only let programs send/receive if you say it can. This way you can make sure that your internet browser can access the internet, but any nasty spyware that sneaks in won't be able to. Windows XP comes with a built in firewall but if you don't have XP, or want more control, consider the following.

ZoneAlarm - Very user friendly but still powerful. Comes in several version - including a free one
    McAfee Personal Firewall
    Norton Personal Firewall
    Sygate Personal Firewall - Free for personal use

Spyware Removal Tools

Do you keep getting annoying adverts popping up while surfing the internet? Does your browser keep setting your homepage to some rubbish? Well then you have some spyware on your PC my friend. Try downloading one of these bad boys to get rid of it,

Adaware - Along with Spyware: S&D, a must have on your PC. Looks good, updated regularly.
    Spyware: Search & Destroy - Another great spyware removal tool.

Combined with Adaware, your PC should be adware free.

Also check out the sites for McAfee, Symantec (Norton) etc. for Spyware removal tools as well. You will have to pay for these ones I'm afraid though.

Internet Browsers

Firefox - Unless you have been hiding under a rock somewhere, you should have heard of Firefox. It's a free internet browser that is rapidly taking away market share from IE. It's faster, safer and has a number of nice extras like themes and extensions.
    Internet Explorer - Out of fairness I put this here. I think Firefox is much better but IE is still the most widely used.
    Opera - Another alternative to IE.
    Avant Browser - Before Firefox, this was my browser of choice. It is actually just a wrapper round IE adding some extra features to it like tabbed browsing.

Email Clients

Fed up with Outlook Express? Well why not try on one of these email clients for size.

Mozilla Thunderbird - Firefox's sister program. Lovely email client with tonnes of features. Like Firefox you can download extra themes and extensions to make the app even more appealing,
    Pegasus Mail - Some nice features like allowing you to OK attachments before they are downloaded from your email server.

I'll add some more useful programs on here later, but for now - this will do. Some linux programs may also follow I guess. Finally, sorry for being so bias towards Firefox/Thunderbird. As you can tell I'm not Microsoft's biggest fan.

Last edited by RickJ; Jan 11, 2006 at 10:56 AM.
    Search this Question
    Curlyben's Avatar
    Curlyben Posts: 18,188, Reputation: 1845
    Admin & Wine Expert

#41

Jan 13, 2006, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Ben,whilst I agree with you in that it looks a good program (Admuncher),you have to pay after one month,as it's shareware.As I use Firefox,and Mozilla 1.7.12,there is a "free" adblocker for Firefox.Yes I know Admuncher is supposed to work in any browser,but I hardly use IE.Any thoughts?
    Nez, as I mentioned I also exclusively use FF with Adblock and admuncher still picks up adverts ;)

There is a very easy way around the one month thing, just reinstall ;)
    Wendy225's Avatar
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

#42

Jan 13, 2006, 12:20 PM
    More
    Other useful programs I use for different things.
    For Bit torrent downloads I have found ABC downloader as a solid and easy to use program

For Building web pages, I always use Ms Frontpage, its easy to use and as long as your webhost allows Frontpage access, then your set.

Wallpaper Master, a free and a pay version
    Aymail is an excellent mass emailing program
    Your uninstaller is the best uninstalling program, I have found,the only one that uninstalls while in safe mode if you have a problem program.

And just for playing music with a small simple excellent program, Winamp 2.81 was voted on the net as the best Music player around, you can find version 2.81 for free download.

A for your backup program, I like GEnie backup, so easy to use.

That's it for now.:)
    _keith_'s Avatar
    _keith_ Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

#43

Jan 28, 2006, 04:15 AM
    Wendy,
    I've installed PCcillin 2006 and have two free AVG's 7.1-375a690 & 7.1-375a691. The 690 is 21Meg and the 691 is 15Meg. Which one would be more appropriate to run with PCcillin, which do you advise, or dosen't it matter. AND

Which do you think is the better firewall PCcillin or Zone?

Keith
    Wendy225's Avatar
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

#44

Jan 28, 2006, 12:22 PM
    ZoneAlarm is better than Pc cillin, I have used and tested both, cillin came with my motherboard, I never really liked it at all.

Right now after years of using a firewall, I reformatted and went without one, and just use a number of Anti Virus and Spyware protections and so far after 3 months, no problems from not using a firewall, but either AVG should work.

I think the best anti virus programs are Ewido, Nod32and Kaspersky.

Also their onlin scans along with Panda and Trend, free scans online should be periodically used.
    thebriggsdude's Avatar
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53

#45

Feb 3, 2006, 03:37 PM
    fredg mentioned it once, but recently switched to avast antivirus, has a nice look to it and has a good record of catching viruses.
    http://www.avast.com/
    Wendy225's Avatar
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

#46

Feb 3, 2006, 07:39 PM
    Check it out at the virusbulletin website, avast is not all that good, maybe as a 2nd line of defense but not as your no.1
    Tommyp!972's Avatar
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

#47

Mar 5, 2006, 04:08 AM
    I know people will argue with me but its not a good idea to have multiple programs doing the same job running at the same time... there will be people that swear they don't have a problem but from experience 1 works better for me.. IMO... I run Zonealarm security Suite 6 but I turn off the spyware and virus scanners and I use spyware sweeper and avg to take care of them.. they have never ever let a virus or spyware program install yet
    Ernest carr's Avatar
    Ernest carr Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

#48

Mar 7, 2006, 08:21 PM
    This is not a download program but it has save some friends. Back up your register manualy by going to regedit make sure you are at top of register go to file / export and save file ( I like something like regrestore(datesaved) to restore m but it has save some friends. Back up your register manualy by going to regedit make sure you are at top of register go to use file / import. It has worked when reg restore failed.
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864

#49

Nov 22, 2006, 07:35 AM
    Free remote computer access: www.logmein.com
    (they have a paid service, but the freebie works wonderfully)
    tpeters's Avatar
    tpeters Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

#50

Dec 20, 2006, 12:25 PM
    I'm also a big fan of a productivity tool called Rainlendar. If you don't have access to a calendar/appointment/diary program like what's in Outlook, Rainlendar is way cool. I love setting it up to show this month, last month, about 25% transparent (on WinXP), opaque on mouseover, and to pop up reminders for events I have to remember. It works great standalone, but there's also a server piece (I'm running that part on a Linux machine) that you can use to make all the Rainlendars on all your machines show shared events.

I have access to Outlook calendar, but I have rainlendar configured to go into the appropriate Outlook profile and pull events there into Rainlendar. Works great.

Rainlendar is localized, unicode aware, and there's Windows and Linux versions.

http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php
    Haxzor50's Avatar
    Haxzor50 Posts: 147, Reputation: 1
    -

#51

Jul 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Comment on thebriggsdude's post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude View Post
    Nother free and good AV would be clamwin, very powerful and free I might add clamwin checks every single folder, registry files etc. and its regularly updated oh and forgot, its also better then what you pay for, had a friend that ran norton and other av's, well clamwin picked them all up, they were all trojans. And I mean its powerful.
    www.clamwin.com, download it and update it then go for it and it'll find them if you have them.
    While Clamwin is free and stuff, it is updated more regularly, which means it can get to viruses faster, BUT how well does it keep them off?
    SabbzR's Avatar
    SabbzR Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

#52

Sep 6, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Norton and McCaffee are really bad.

NOD32 is by far the best, although not being rated high - the south african government use it and they haven't had a virus intrusion in the last two years or so - or so my bud who works for them tells me :P
    chek101's Avatar
    chek101 Posts: 134, Reputation: 18

#53

Sep 24, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SabbzR
    Norton and McCaffee are really bad.

I agree!
    MrsFoxxy2u's Avatar
    MrsFoxxy2u Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

#54

Sep 25, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Make sure you have no cookies in your puter and always run defrag
    davejacobs's Avatar
    davejacobs Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

#55

Nov 19, 2007, 08:53 PM
    I frequently visit a number of sites that feature only software that is free. My favorite is Free Internet Security Software. This site has done a great job of finding the best free internet security software of all types. The free products from Comodo are especially amazing. We have totally replaced expired trials and expired commercial software such as Norton Antivirus with the free programs this site has collected. The web master has also answered a number of questions for me about product selection. This is the must visit site for free internet security software that can totally protect your computer!
    interinfinity's Avatar
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

#56

Jan 4, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Bitdefender anti virus is FREE and I've used it since 2002, and it has never let me down.
    zoom_gfx8's Avatar
    zoom_gfx8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#57

Jan 5, 2008, 10:08 PM
    Wendy225 thanks for the information it helps me a lot to find which is the best antivirus well, as you suggest I try one of them
    morgaine300's Avatar
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,564, Reputation: 276

#58

Feb 9, 2008, 11:00 PM
    Can't think of anything new, cause most of it has been named already. But I'm going to throw a vote in for Avast. I used to use McAfee but they have become too big for their britches, and at this point I can't even install it cause it's having a fit over some security setting and I have never figured out what it wants. (I've done this offline, and turned everything on my computer down/off.) And Norton just stinks. I liked their old stuff but not anything w/in about the last 10 years. It many times locks up the computer, and it's obtrusive as heck. It doesn't play nice with other things.

The Avast has worked for me, is unobtrusive, and I've never had to turn it off for anything. I too have gone without an "official" firewall and just keep the Netshield and Web Shield on in Avast. Haven't had a problem.

And rather than disagreeing with Tommy, I'm going to agree with him that I don't like having more than one program to do the same job, IF it runs in residency. i.e. I won't use more than one firewall, AV, etc. However, I have two spyware ones (Ad-Aware and Spybot, the second of which I believe is much better) and they don't mind each other, I assume because they're not running unless I tell them to.
    invisibleman_productions's Avatar
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

#59

Mar 6, 2008, 03:30 AM
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    invisibleman_productions's Avatar

#60

Jun 18, 2008, 08:58 AM
    ThreatFire's ActiveDefense technology does, and has proven to provide up to 243% more protection when combined with traditional AntiVirus products

Unknown Programs [ 6 Answers ]

I have a program on my computer called ScheduledAgent and I am not sure what it is. I have looked on the internet via Google and there is mixed results. I am slightly concerned as several results suggest it must be removed immediately. Am I right to be concerned? Also is there any other way of...

Hiding programs [ 8 Answers ]

How do I hide a program from the Add/Remove List in XP? Not sure which yet I want to hide, but like say MSN or IE or something similar. How would I reenable them to the list if it is even possible to remove them to start with? Thanks.

AOL 9.0 SE Removes programs [ 3 Answers ]

AOL 9.0 is removing gotomypc from machines with both installed. I can't find where in AOL to configure it to allow gotomypc. Any ideas? AOL chat is useless, and I don't want to jump through hoops calling AOL. It's easier to remove AOL and have the users check their mail through aol.com. Thanks.

Hidden programs in xp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals Can any one tell me all the hidden programs in xp and how ro use these programs plzzzzz

+/- from all programs menu [ 2 Answers ]

How can I add new items to the "all programs" list in XP?:o I'd like to create a entry or two there and move some of the existing items into that folder. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for the help... and oh yeah, Merry Christmas!:D