Jeep front end vibration

Asked Jun 28, 2010, 01:06 PM 21 Answers
    First, here are the particulars on the vehicle:
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    6 cyl. - automatic
    Home is KY USA
    Tires good
    Problem occurs intermittently

I'm hoping someone has a crystal ball and can diagnose this problem:
    Occasionally, at about 45-50 mph the jeep starts shaking violently and it feels like the steering wheel is going to come off in my hands. If I speed up it smooths out. If I slow down it smooths out. It can happen on acceleration or slowing down, when I step on the brake or whenever it wants to. It might do it 3-4 times then not do it again for a month.

I took it to a Jeep dealer, and for $85 they said they could fix it for $1965.00. They took it for a test drive and determined it had a front suspension wobble. (Gee, you think?) Said the front end was wore out and needed track bar, inner drag link, outer drag link, upper ball joint, lower ball joint and something called a damper. (Seemed a bit excessive to me.) Said it probably starts shaking because I hit a bump or pothole and put something out of line. (Not exact wording but the meaning is there.) Jeep dealer said it was possibly overdrive/transmission related but finally ruled that out.

My husband jacked up the front end to check if anything was loose and said everything seemed tight to him, but the service man at Jeep said there were things loose that shouldn't be.

So, any idea if all that stuff is really needed or is it overkill? Or could it be something a lot simpler?

All I know is, it's really scary when it happens and I need to get it fixed but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners either. Please help if you can!

Update: After researching, I have discovered I have the dreaded "Death Wobble" which can have multiple causes and is very dangerous. Now I really don't know what to do.

Last edited by caroln242; Jun 28, 2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: new info
    Search this Question
    caroln242's Avatar
    caroln242 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

#21

Aug 7, 2010, 12:17 PM
    Thanks... I'll have someone look at it again. I'm about ready to give up and trade it in.
    TxGreaseMonkey's Avatar
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,642, Reputation: 5592
    Senior Cars & Trucks Expert

#22

Aug 7, 2010, 12:25 PM

No, you don't want to do that. Just have someone who knows what they are doing check it out. With a problem that severe, it should be easy to isolate and repair. My bet is that there's excessive wear in the outer tie-rod ends. Get both of them replaced and you will probably be fine.

I'm surprised the last mechanic missed this. There are grease fittings everywhere on the front end of Jeeps. Did you regularly have them greased before? If not, have them do that for you.

What is back end and front end collection [ 1 Answers ]

What is back end and front end collection

1998 Jeep Cherokee Front driveshaft vibration [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with a pretty bad front driveshaft vibration. When I remove the front driveshfat from the vehicle and do 60mph it doesn't vibrate. When the driveshaft is installed it vibrates. I've replaced the U-joints in it, and even tried rotating the front axle for a better...

Front end and back end [ 2 Answers ]

Difference between front end and back end of web page?

Front-end vs. Back-end Tech Writing [ 4 Answers ]

What's the difference? Can someone give me an example of both? I'm SO confused! :confused: Thanks in advance. -HBG