PDA

View Full Version : Brown, maggot like bug with about six legs in front that stings.

ouchitstungme
May 3, 2014, 04:05 PM
Hello, I have been researching all day trying to find out what this bug is. I have a picture of it but am not seeing the option to upload so I'll describe it the best I can.

Its a brown, hard shell maggot like in size and movement, has about six legs in the front of body, short hairs covering it and two short pinchers on its end. I have found two of these crawling on my bed in my room in West Virginia. The first one stung me and it left a little red mark and burned and stung for about a half an hour. I thought maybe it was a carpet bug but although it looks similar, what I found is slimmer and its hairs are shorter and instead of the long hairs on the end it has the two short pinchers.

Please help me find out what this is and how to get rid of it without a costly exterminator. I tried posting a picture to another site but they cannot receive photos at this time and I've tried to become a member several places and post the picture but fail for some reason or another. Its really frustrating. Please help!

odinn7
May 3, 2014, 04:11 PM
Does it look something like this:

46008

Catsmine
May 3, 2014, 04:33 PM
Posting a picture:

1. At the bottom of the box that you type in there's a link that says "go advanced". Click it.

2. A paperclip symbol will show up on the top option on the box that you type in. Click the paperclip.

3. A new box will pop up called "manage your attachments".

4. Hit the "browse" button.

5. Find the picture you want to post and double click on it.

6. Hit the "upload" button beside the browse button.

7. Under the section "Upload file from a URL", a link will appear. That's your picture.

8. Close the manage attachments window.

9. Click on the paperclip again. Your link for your picture will be there. Click on it.

10. Post.

You can post up to 5 pictures per post.

Catsmine
May 3, 2014, 04:47 PM
46009

On reflection, you might have run across a Velvet Ant. They're actually a wasp.

ouchitstungme
May 3, 2014, 10:31 PM
Neither of the pictures match this bug :( am totally freaked out and can't even sleep and when I di I have nightmares about them.I looked under the box here and don't see the go advance to post a picture still :( I'm going to keep trying though because I really want to know what these nasty critters are.

ouchitstungme
May 3, 2014, 11:16 PM
Hopefully this works.

Catsmine
May 4, 2014, 05:46 AM
Aha! That's a caterpillar. The most common stinging caterpillar in WV is the Eastern Tent Caterpillar, often called a Bagworm for the nests they make in trees.

Here's what Kentucky has to say about them. Eastern Tent Caterpillar | University of Kentucky Entomology (http://www2.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef423.asp)

Note that they grow more colorful as they mature.