View Full Version : Can you have a fox as a pet in Ontario Canada?

Jun 30, 2010, 09:42 PM
I live in ontario,
Aand I have wanted a fox for a while,
And I wanted to know if I can actually keep one in my home.

Jul 1, 2010, 08:38 AM
I would have to say no to the fox, not because there may be a law against it but you would be keeping a wild animal that needs to be in its own habitat with is own kind. We have several foxes living in our neighbourhood and they are mostly nocturnal as far as I can see. I only see them at just before dawn going back into their burrows.

Jul 1, 2010, 11:06 AM
I agree with Tickle.

The question you should be asking is not can I, but should I.

This is a wild animal, not one bred to be a pet. You may want one, but you'd be doing a great disservice to the animal.

Also, you have no idea how to domesticate an animal like this, one that can become aggressive, bite, or worse. This is not something a novice should take on.

If you're interested in foxes, learn about them, watch them in the wild (if you have the opportunity), maybe find a place where you can work with them (the local zoo, a wild animal rescue), but don't attempt to keep a fox as a pet.

Also, there's the legality issue. Most wild animals are illegal to keep.

Dogs are great pets, and very similar to foxes in a lot of ways. Maybe stick with that. :)

Good luck.

Jul 5, 2010, 04:51 AM
I agree with Alty and Tick. Aside from it not being a very good idea to introduce a wild animal in to your home (also kind of cruel, don't you think?), most people who have wild animals need to have special papers and licenses for them.

Altenweg mentioned a good point, check out your local wild life conservatory, they are always in need of volunteers, and you may just get your experience handling the foxes.

Mar 1, 2011, 06:02 PM
Don't take there answer as a referance, they just express their openion which sounds silly. You may ask a vit or a lawyer for advice.

Mar 1, 2011, 06:10 PM
What's a vit?

Mar 2, 2011, 08:07 AM
I think a vit is a vitamin.

I don't know why you'd want to ask a vitamin for advice, seeing as it's an inanimate object, but then Rahbaam's post is pretty out there to begin with, so it's in keeping with his/her theme. :)

Mar 2, 2011, 08:11 AM
Now, seeing as this is an old thread, I'll close it and we can end the debate.

Thread closed.