View Full Version : Manually extinguishing kerosene heater?

Dec 9, 2006, 08:39 AM
I'm sure by the time this gets answered I'll have burned the kerosene tank dry... but just in case it happens again...

I replaced the wick today in my Dyna-Glo Kerosene (RMC-55-R7) heater, put it back together, filled the tank, let it set for an hour, and lit it up. I thought everything was working fine, until I tried to extinguish the flame. Guess I didn't put it back together properly, because it's not extinguishing. I took it outside and tried to smother it with a piece of metal - didn't work. So now I'm going to let it burn dry and see what I did wrong.

Any ideas how to manually extinguish a kerosene heater safely?


P.S. Hint: after replacing your wick and reassembling your kerosene heater, I suggest you not fill the tank as I did - just put a small amount in the tank, then test to make sure everything is working properly.

Dec 9, 2006, 08:42 AM
DO you test the emergency shut off? It you jar or tip over the heater it is to shut off the wick by pulling in down.

Dec 9, 2006, 08:56 AM
When I reassembled the heater after replacing the wick, I did test the extinguish button and it seemed to work. But now that I have the heater on, it won't extinguish.

Dec 9, 2006, 09:06 AM
YOu may have to disassemble it again, seem something is binding. After you reassemble test the extinguish button several times.

Dec 9, 2006, 09:31 AM

Jan 28, 2007, 10:45 AM
YOu may have to disassemble it again, seem something is binding. after you reassemble test the extinguish button several times.

OK, I put the heater aside for over a month because I was mad at it (and it hasn't been very cold here). This weekend I took it apart again, and I don't see what the shut-off is supposed to do. I can't imagine I took the shutoff apart when I changed the wick 1.5 months ago - it just lifts off with another section. So... my question now is - what is the shutoff pendulum supposed to do? I remember when I used to shut it off it would make a big clunk sound when it turned off. Now there is no sound at all. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.