View Full Version : My tub stopper is located outside of my tub on the floor; want to replace it - how?

Mar 6, 2010, 05:45 AM
My stopper is tube shaped and has a lever at the top that you lift and lay to the side to release the water or lift and let fall in place to stop the tub up. This tube like device is located on the side of my tub and is set in the tile on my bathroom floor. It's the type of stoppers they used long ago (I don't believe they no longer use this type of stopper). I want this tube-like stopper removed to be replaced with a modern one (will be having my bathtub refinished because it is a nice tub).

Mar 6, 2010, 06:00 AM
I have the type of water stopper that is located on the outside of my bathtub. It is tube shaped with another slimer tub inside that allows you to stop up the tub as well as release the water from the tub when you're done. It is anchored into my tile floor and located at the end of my tub; near the draining out area. This is an eye sore to me and leaves little room for a more modern vanity to be put in. If I can have this type of stopper removed it will free up some more space in my bathroom. I want the stopper to be in the bathtub; not located outside of it. Any suggestions?:confused:

Mar 6, 2010, 06:17 AM
Hi Cvaughan:

That old style tub waste and overflow assembly will be difficult to remove as it is probably connected into some very old plumbing uder the floor.

To determine if you can remove this without replacing all of the waste pipes under the floor you'll need to open the ceiling from below and see what you are getting yourself into... ;)

Post a pic. Or two and we can tell you more...


Mar 6, 2010, 07:30 AM
Here is a picture of my stopper:confused:


Mar 6, 2010, 08:05 AM
Can the above pictured stopper be removed and if so will it be an expensive job.


Mar 6, 2010, 08:27 AM
Haven't seen one of those since I left Wisconsin over 50 years ago.
Does your tub have a chrome overflow plate located in the front of the tub? Can you open up the ceiling to get at the drainage?
Your present stopper assembly connects into a tee in the drainage line and the tee must either be removed or the branch capped off before you can add a new stopper assembly.
Your choices are,
1) If you have the chrome overflow plate You can install a trip lever stopper (see image). This will involve chamging the drain behind the front of the tub. **OR**
2) You could simply install a "touch toe" stopper (see images) in the drain itself. A much easier task.
What's your pleasure? Tom

Mar 6, 2010, 09:02 AM
My pleasure would be option # 2 (touch toe stopper). I need to know approximately what the price range is I'm looking at as well as to know if that would be considered a major job or minor?


Mar 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
speedball1 your answer did help. Now I need to know the price range I'm looking at for having the old model stopper removed and the touch toe stopper installed.


Mar 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
Touch toe stoppers won't break the bank so don't sweat the expense.
To install a touch toe stopper you must first remove the old drain, (see image).
Then make a rope of plumbers putty or silicon jel under the lip of the touch toe and tighten it up.

Can the above pictured stopper be removed and if so will it be an expensive job
Your present stopper assembly connects into a tee in the drainage line and the tee must either be removed or the branch capped off.
This will mean opening up the ceiling and cutting out the old stopper and repairing the drain line. You may then patch the hole in the floor.
The cost will depend on who does the work. Good luck, Tom

May 31, 2012, 06:41 PM
I have the same type of stopper outside of my tube and out of the blue it no longer stops the water in the tube. I pulled the long piece out of the casing and it appears intact. Any suggestions as to how I can get the water to stay in the tub with the piece as is. I also tried adjusting the pull/push part thinking it might be out of alignment but still not doing the job. Thank you.

Jun 1, 2012, 06:19 AM
Why not leave the old stopper alone and install one of the touch toe stoppers shown above. That would be your cheapest and easiest solution. And your thoughts? Tom

Sep 9, 2012, 06:33 AM
I have the same stopper next to my tub in my apartment. I have a small studio apartment and a tiny bathroom. I would like to get rid of that tube to maximize every inch of my bathroom. I ordered a sink that attaches to the wall and has no cabinet underneath. Ideally, I would like to place my cat's litter box underneath the sink.

Is it possible to remove the tube cap that end and add a stopper in the tub? I would love to be able to tile over where the old stopper is located with tile. I am doing all the tile work myself but will have someone install the sink and make changes to the tub. I want to be able to tell the plumber what I want done and how much it will cost so he doesn't think I am clueless and charge me an arm and a leg!


Sep 9, 2012, 06:47 AM
To do what you wish the plumber will have to open up the floor, remove the stopper and bypass it. Then you can tile over it and install a stopper of your choice. Good luck, Tom

Sep 10, 2012, 01:36 PM