PDA

View Full Version : Does stretching make you grow taller?

none12345
Aug 4, 2009, 09:51 PM
hey guys I've been trying to grow taller these days. I'm 19, guy, and I'm not sure if I can anymore. I'm 5"10 and I've been stretching, hanging, bicycling a lot these days in hopes of finding an inch or two somewhere. I was just wondering, can these things really help you grow taller? If so, what are some other things I can do? If not, can I still grow taller? Thanks in advance =P

stevetcg
Aug 5, 2009, 08:33 AM
You are 19 and not likely done growing. You might grow an inch or two more. The other things you mentioned, while not going to make you taller, will certainly help make you healthier.

5'10 is not short and actually above average.

Unknown008
Aug 5, 2009, 08:38 AM
Have you tried 'bar fix'? You know, pulling yourself up from a horizontal bar? I hear that that does make people become taller.

Also, swimming does help to grow taller. Only thing, I'm not sure if that works at that age... I've been swimming for four years, and stopped two years ago, and I'm 1m73, that makes about 5"77

stevetcg
Aug 5, 2009, 08:55 AM

Can you please cite a credible source that proves that swimming helps you grow taller?

Hanging will "stretch" the cartledge in your spine and will help make you seem taller for a short period but gravity will compress it back to its original size (and as you age, smaller, which is why older folk seem to get shorter).

Nothing but age and genetics will help you grow taller. Healthy bones certainly helps as well as posture, but that's not height either.

Unknown008
Aug 5, 2009, 09:03 AM
Well, I don't have a 'specific source' for that, but that's only a rumour, that I have experienced to be quite true. I have many friends who were shorter than me, then grew taller after they were swimming in a club.

By swimming, I mean, at least twice weekly for a good two hours, and that's training swimming programs for competitions.

stevetcg
Aug 5, 2009, 09:04 AM

How old were they?

Unknown008
Aug 5, 2009, 09:08 AM
There's a range, some 12, others 17. Also, the friends I met in my swimming club were all tall... they were in the twenties.

I'm not saying that it works for everybody, for this is only an experience I have, but it can work. Ah, I remember one that was not that tall, and he was 18, now must be in his 20s. That person was also 'body building'.

That's the opposite here, lifting generally makes people shorter.

stevetcg
Aug 5, 2009, 09:16 AM
So your growing teenaged friends got taller? Swimming had nothing to do with it other than they were likely healthy.

Incidentally, lifting making people shorter is also circumstantial evidence.

Taller people could be more inclined towards sports that benefit height (long legs help swimming) and stockier guys could be more inclined to compensate for smaller height with bigger muscles.

Either way, none of it affects height.

none12345
Aug 5, 2009, 09:25 AM
Lifting weight does not make people shorter unky. Shaquille oneal started lifting weights when he was in his teens and now he's 7 foot

Unknown008
Aug 5, 2009, 09:32 AM
Ok, I was just saying that it does generally. Anyway, I know also most of it are genetics. If your parents were tall, then you'll more likely be too.

Oh, another thing. There was a documentary I watched long ago, saying that stress makes people taller. However, you won't put your health at risk, would you?

Well, good luck Noney :)

stevetcg
Aug 5, 2009, 09:35 AM
From a scientific (genetic) point, the height of your mother's father can be a good indicator of your potential height.

none12345
Aug 5, 2009, 09:40 AM
My father is 5"7 and my mom i 5"1 and I'm 5"10 wanting to be 6" my grandpa is 6"2

Unknown008
Aug 5, 2009, 09:43 AM
Wow! Seems that you'll be like your mom though... I mean, you'll perhaps inherit the height of your mom, which is probably already the case. :/

stevetcg
Aug 5, 2009, 09:44 AM
my father is 5"7 and my mom i 5"1 and im 5"10 wanting to be 6" my grandpa is 6"2

You might make it, you might not. Eat well, get plenty of calcium and stand up straight. You should be close enough. And if not... don't worry about it. :)

none12345
Aug 5, 2009, 09:57 AM

What do you mean unky?

none12345
Aug 5, 2009, 09:58 AM
You might make it, you might not. Eat well, get plenty of calcium and stand up straight. You should be close enough. And if not... dont worry about it. :)

Lol I hope I do, if not ill just wear an inch boots to make me 5"11 and ill be happy lols

excon
Aug 5, 2009, 10:18 AM
I was just wondering, can these things really help you grow taller? Hello none:

I don't know... But, I have an opinion...

It seems to me that when bones are growing, and stress is put upon them, they grow... It also seems to me that when you're stretching, you're pulling on your ligaments that are attached to the bone, thereby pulling on the bone...

I think I saw a documentary about some little person who had his leg bones stretched through some surgery with pins and an adjustable device on the outside to keep the pressure on the bones, and stretch them...

I'm not suggesting you do THAT. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be so quick to discount stretching from making you grow taller. Besides, it doesn't hurt, and can only help.

excon

none12345
Aug 6, 2009, 01:27 PM
So can we all agree that stretching can make one taller an inch or two? I got an ebook online and it says it does. So I don't know if I should put the effort into stretching if it doesn't have any results.

none12345
Aug 7, 2009, 04:08 PM
I have heard if you run with ankle weights and than tangle your leg off an edge with weights it can make your legs longer. Do you guys think its true? =P

jmjoseph
Aug 7, 2009, 04:13 PM
Stretching does two things, it makes you sore, and makes you look like a nut .

asking
Aug 7, 2009, 04:31 PM
Nothing but age and genetics will help you grow taller. Healthy bones certainly helps as well as posture, but thats not height either.

I agree with this.

Good nutrition is important and lack of stress, since children who don't get good nutrition or are severely stressed can end up a lot shorter. But that's probably not relevant here. I'm guessing that none is getting excellent nutrition and he does not sound like he has a stressful life. :)

But stretching, bicycling, swimming? I would be amazed...
It is true that bone is constantly being remodeled through the interaction of two kinds of cells--osteoclasts, which break down bone, and osteoblasts, which build it up. Even adults have this going on all the time, so you can change the shape of bone by changing the way you use your muscles. Running and jumping will make your bones denser. (Bicycling, oddly, predisposes people to bone thinning, probably because of the lack of compression on any bones.) MAYBE if you spent an hour on a torture rack every day and didn't manage to destroy your joints, you might get longer bones. I don't know. I don't see it!

asking
Aug 7, 2009, 04:43 PM
Epiphyseal plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyseal_plate)

Around the end of puberty, the epiphyseal cartilage cells stop duplicating and the entire cartilage is slowly replaced by bone, leaving only a thin epiphyseal line.[1] Once the adult stage is reached, the only way to manipulate height is modifying bone length via distraction osteogenesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distraction_osteogenesis).

And check this out.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/vpy4j72t710tgx83/fulltext.pdf?page=1

It basically says that static (unchanging) strain on bones doesn't alter bone formation, but dynamic (changing) strain does. So a constant pressure doesn't do that much but jumping and running will increase bone mass.

jlove09
Aug 11, 2009, 06:26 AM
I'm 19 year old female and I'm only 5'2
I want to at least be about 5'5
Do you think I can stll grow? Both my parents are like 5'5 and my bro is probably 5'7

stevetcg
Aug 11, 2009, 06:36 AM
i'm 19 year old female and i'm only 5'2
I wanna atleast be about 5'5
do you think i can stll grow? both my parents are like 5'5 and my bro is probably 5'7

Doubtful. Maybe an inch or two.

XOXOlove
Aug 12, 2009, 02:15 PM

:pstretching does not make you sore! It stops you from getting sore from working out! If you go to any pilates or other class, the first thing you learn is to stretch your muscles so you don't get sore. If you are sore after working out it usually means you didn't stretch enough

s2000man
Aug 12, 2009, 02:30 PM
No it makes you feel good though

none12345
Aug 14, 2009, 09:22 PM
Are there absolutely no way to cheat mother nature to gain a few inches? =P

Unknown008
Aug 15, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hey Noney! Congrats for being now an ultra member! :)

I don't think so... :( I think the last resort remains that you wear high shoes...

none12345
Aug 15, 2009, 12:01 PM

awwws. Maybe pull ups or bar ups will stretch my spine. Ima work on it. To be honest unky, I feel kind of short. Im only 5"9 and when I go outside all the other guys look so much taller than me. T_T

Thanks just turned ultramember =P

Unknown008
Aug 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
5'9?? You said earlier you were 5"10... Oh, that British system... grr. Does that mean 5 feet 10 inches? If that's so, then that makes me a little shorter than you, by an inch or two.

I thought the '10' was meaning tenth of a foot... sigh. :o

none12345
Aug 15, 2009, 12:54 PM
5'9??? You said earlier you were 5"10... Oh, that British system... grr. does that mean 5 feet 10 inches? If that's so, then that makes me a little shorter than you, by an inch or two.

Well I'm 5 feet 10 inches in the morning but by the end of the day gravity pulls me down to around 5 feet 9 inches.

Lol I'm not that short unky. XD

Unknown008
Aug 15, 2009, 12:59 PM
So, you see? Lol! Be happy with what you are :) Being too tall has its downsides.

none12345
Aug 15, 2009, 01:00 PM
So, you see? lol! Be happy with what you are :) Being too tall has its downsides.

Ionno I would like an even 6 foot. Just a couple more inches T_T

How tall are you unky? O_O

s_cianci
Aug 15, 2009, 01:01 PM
I don't believe that exercising will add much to your current height ; maybe 1/2 an inch or so. At age 19 you've probably done all the growing you're going to do so I don't think being taller is in the cards for you. But 5'10" is actually a very average adult male height so why do you feel the need to grow taller? I'm 5'10" myself and have been since I was 16.

none12345
Aug 15, 2009, 01:03 PM

Its just I would like to be at least 6 foot, it would be easier to play basketball and whenever I walk around the mall or something, there are so many people so much taller than me I feel under average height.

Unknown008
Aug 15, 2009, 01:04 PM
I don't exactly know how to convert, but I'm 1m73cm, that is 5.67 feet, 5"8'

s_cianci
Aug 15, 2009, 01:08 PM
Stretching does two things, it makes you sore, and makes you look like a nut .If stretching is making one sore, then it's not being done properly. When done properly, stretching will increase the flexibility of the muscles, thereby increasing their range of motion and reducing the risk of injury. However, I really don't believe that one's height can be increased merely by stretching.

none12345
Aug 15, 2009, 01:09 PM

I'm 178cm lol I just converted. =P

People here are so tall, it makes me still under averaged. >_<

Unknown008
Aug 16, 2009, 08:53 AM
I don't feel like that, if you ask me. I'm fine with my height. I'll not be too far behind on the 'group photos', people won't tall me to lower my head if ever I was in a cinema hall... etc. I like it that way :)

XOXOlove
Aug 17, 2009, 09:15 AM
Maybe you can take steroids noney. Lol. I don't know if it will make you taller though.

Unknown008
Aug 17, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hey XOXO! I've got something for you...

I have a 'coloured' form of your avy ;)

none12345
Aug 28, 2009, 02:36 PM
I have checked into something.

Do you guys think it is possible to grow a couple of inches from inversion table?

stevetcg
Aug 28, 2009, 03:12 PM
How is that any different that stretching?

none12345
Aug 28, 2009, 03:48 PM
Its suppose to decompress your spine. I heard many people grew a couple of inches after 15 min everyday.

stevetcg
Aug 28, 2009, 03:52 PM
its suppose to decompress your spine. i heard many people grew a couple of inches after 15 min everyday.

... and returned to their actual height in a few hours.

none12345
Aug 28, 2009, 03:56 PM
...and returned to their actual height in a few hours.

Wouldn't your body adapt after constant straining?

stevetcg
Aug 28, 2009, 04:01 PM
wouldnt your body adapt after constant straining?

No - because the length of your bones determine your height and all the stretching in the world isn't goint to elongate those.

What this is talking about is stretching the cartledge in your spine. That is soft tissue and subject to compression due to gravity.

amg29
Aug 31, 2009, 07:57 PM
I have used the following secrets and they have helped me grow taller so try to follow them.

Don’t drink pop, don't eat junk food. These foods and drinks are quite useless, and I would never eat or drink them. Instead, eat foods rich with many vitamins and nutrients. You need two important nutrients for your bones to grow nicely and healthy - calcium and vitamin D. Calcium helps to build and maintain your bones. Vitamin D helps you absorb calcium. Both of these nutrients are abundant in foods and drinks like milk, cheese, yogurt, tuna, eggs, chicken , etc.
For milk, drink 2% and not 3% because it will make you fat.

I have seen many reports which show that our brain releases more human growth hormone when the entire body is calm and relaxed – so you have to sleep more in a comfortable environment. Make sure you sleep at night and make sure that your neck is properly aligned with the rest of your body. I bought a $50 pillow and used a good bed.

Proper exercise can help your body grow taller, I used hanging from monkey bar and stretching. Good exercises include a variety of stretches, yoga, basketball, swimming , etc. Make sure you exercise daily for about 30 minutes for good growth (I used 40 mins). Also make sure to maintain a good posture which I learned how to keep perfectly after a lot of practice. I used a mirror and I made my entire body straight as I looked at my reflection.

I have also used growth hormone boosters – in total I have grown just over 2.1 inches in 3 months, which is a long time but I can live with that. You see, I tried only exercise and diet tips but after tons of research I now know that to grow taller more growth hormone is needed.

Your growth hormone levels decrease as you grow older. This makes it very important to boost your HGH. Before the growth hormone (which I took for 3 months) I tried all kinds of diets, sleep methods and exercises but nothing worked! After the growth hormone boost, I actually gained a bit of height.

By the way, for the growth hormone boosting, I used a dietary supplement for 3 months – which I fully researched. Also, I have met some people who have used limb lengthening, so that is also an option... if you want it.
The website for the growth hormone boosting is http://www.heightsecrets.com (http://www.heightsecrets.com/howtogrowtaller.html) and the website for the limb lengthening is Limb Lengthening (http://www.limblengthening.com/)
Good luck all, this is my secret to growing taller.

Unknown008
Sep 7, 2009, 08:27 AM
Eww, hormones do not sound that good to me...

The other may work however.

Lewyj7
Aug 20, 2010, 12:25 AM
Well I been hanging for a while now and yes I have grown a half inch my heigth before was 5'7 and 2 centimeters in the morning and at night I was 5 '6 and 4 centimeters under 5'7. After about 2 months of hanging routines I'm about 5'7 and a half with 2 centimeters in the morning and at night 5'7 and 3 centimeters tall. So that's for all the skeptics out there saying it was impossible to grow after puberty I'm 21 now I'm not saying it works for everyone but it sure worked for me. And the weirdest part about it is that I can actually feel when my back start decompressing after a few hours out it's the creepiest thing. I'm pushing for an inch.

Lewyj7
Aug 20, 2010, 12:37 AM
Your 5'10 that's a good heigth some people have to live being 5'3 or so. 5'10 5'9 is above average. I'm only 5'8 wishing I could be your heigth lol I just started the hanging routine ill keep you post it.

joshtanning
Aug 22, 2010, 11:20 AM
well i been hanging for a while now and yes i have grown a half inch my heigth before was 5'7 and 2 centimeters in the morning and at night i was 5 '6 and 4 centimeters under 5'7. after about 2 months of hanging routines im about 5'7 and a half with 2 centimeters in the morning and at night 5'7 and 3 centimeters tall. so thats for all the skeptics out there saying it was impossible to grow after puberty im 21 now im not saying it works for everyone but it sure worked for me. and the weirdest part about it is that i can actually feel when my back start decompressing after a few hours out its the creepiest thing. im pushing for an inch.

Hey Lewyj7, you said you have done 2 months of hanging routines. May I ask you what those are? I am interested in starting this routine. I have a horizontal bar high enough so that my feet don't touch the ground. I also have ankle weights. I am wondering how intense your routine is and how long you do it for everyday?