View Full Version : US laws for spouse visa

Nina 2
Sep 29, 2005, 03:31 PM
I'd really apprecaite if anyone can guide me or help me!
I'm married to an American, we knew each other for a long time, we worked together and I even visited the US with him several times on christmas times.
I had a 10years visa to gain entry to the US, I lost my passport more than a year ago, and when I went back to apply, the interview was so honnest that the lady denied my request saying that being engaged to an American citizen doesn't allow me to apply for a tourist visa but I should apply for a fiancée visa!
I left the embassy that day and full of hope that I'll get my fiancée visa and travel with him that summer, to my surprise the finacee visa can take up to a year and not sure I'd get it, and if you get it you have to get married within the 3months after you gain entry to the US... finally I ended up losing that vacation after the tickets were bought and everything, probably if I lied and said I wasn't engaged at all I'd have got it, but honnesty doesn't work sometimes!
Now after we got married thinking that things will be much easier and that I can go visit whenever I can, it's not the case, we need to apply for a spouse visa through a lwayer, it will take 8months, and the fees and the interviews and all that, OK all that we're OK with but my husband may get transferred somewhere at any time, so if it happens during the process we will habe problems, and the US law oblige the citizens to apply from the country they got the marriage act from, which means if you marry in France and move to Germany there is a problem.
This is making me lose so many family occasions, christmas time, summer holidays, I didn't even had a decent wedding yet because of this issue.
I need advise from you out there who heard or know about this matters, what should I do? Is there a law that allow the wife to go visit her in laws? I mean for gods sakes my father in law is sick and it kills me that I can't be there, christmas is coming and I won't be there and my husband gets sad to leave me behind or send me to my parents while we should be together... Please help! Advise!

Sep 29, 2005, 04:16 PM
Now that you are married you can apply for an immigration card. Sorry but I forgot the title of the site that has all the laws, but I think it is NCIS. Try keying in 'immigration' or 'us citizenship' in the search engine and you'll get a site that tells you everything to include the forms you need and the laws that apply. Good Luck. Just keep in mind that if you are not in the military, then there are a lot of examinations and a lot of financial fees involved and that the 'petition' has to be applied for from outside of the US - in the country where you are from, through the consulate. Unfortunately, the terrorists made things a lot worse with homeland security department issues. Hope you can make it for Christmas. You can always buy a regular ticket (round-trip) through a travel agency and go as a tourist, but you should be able to obtain a visa now.

Oct 11, 2005, 03:25 PM
You need to go to the US consulate in France and apply for your immediate visa application, since you and your spouse are resident in France. The process normally takes around 90 days.

Oct 11, 2005, 03:58 PM
I got my visa within 90 days back in 1974 because my husband at that time was in the US Army and being reassigned to the States from germany. However, when you are a civilian and cannot prove you have a steady paying job, or a retirement/social security check from former military/government service coming in every month, you must have at least 100 thousand dollars available (not counting real estate) to provide for your spouse who want's to immigrate. I know this as my daughter married a German and wanted to help him immigrate to the US last year and they had to go through so much paperwork, checkups, and consulate visits . They also had to pay for the doctors appointment before even getting the checkup for him. Due to the strenuous Homeland Security laws now, things have changed. Please check out this extensive link which will explain the laws, forms you need and their costs, etc. It is best to be prepared for everything. Good Luck.


P.S. I promised that I would check up on it for you, I was ill for a while and just now came back out the hospital. Sorry it took so long.

Oct 11, 2005, 07:29 PM
You do not need thousands of dollars to do this. All you have to do is go to the US consulate in France or to their website and submit the petition for Immediate relative along with supporting documentation. Such as marriage certificate, your husbands pay information (this would include completing form I-864 -the affidavit of support) medical report (they will assign a doctor to perform a medical check up- for communicable disease and vaccinations ) and of course the filing fees and visa fees. You should get it all done fairly quickly.

Your husband as United Citizen can obtain all this information from visiting the US consulate.

Oct 11, 2005, 07:33 PM
By chance is your husabnd in the military?

Oct 11, 2005, 07:46 PM
by chance is your husabnd in the military?
If you're asking me, I was, and also a military daughter, but born in Germany (mother a german) outside of military hospital, so automatically a German Citizen - everyone else in my family is U.S. though. My daughter's dad was also in the military, so I have a 'green card'. So I guess you could call us Army Brats...
But seriously now, my friend was married to a French lady, and it took almost 18 months for her to get her visa, and if he had not been in the military and retired from there, it would have cost him more. He even showed me all the papers and bills. Plus the site I was on and my daughter going through this with her soon to be ex German husband it really costs nowadays. My daughter herself is not in the military, or it would have been real easy. This is from our own personal eperience and research. So it's no BS..

Oct 11, 2005, 07:52 PM
I meant the person who wrote this. The only reason I ask, I am in the Coast Guard and my job makes me deal with all sorts of this stuff.

Oct 11, 2005, 08:26 PM
I can well understand why. Gosh, and all this time I thought you were following me (ha ha), a little humor there. I wanted my daughter to join the Coast Guard a long time ago, but we can only suggest and let our kids do what they choose. Are you on the east or west coast right now? If you don't mind me asking. I lived on both sides.

Oct 11, 2005, 08:29 PM
It does seem like I am floolowing you. I am stationed in Boston. I have been in 4 years. Mu husband 8 years.

Imight keep flollowing you it seems like you are the wise one. I enjoy reading every forum and if I can help why not add my 2 cents in.

I can't believe I happened to suble across this website yestersay... seems like I missed a lot.

Feb 6, 2006, 07:08 AM
You can ask the officials here

Or register and ask experts for free at http://www.immihelp.com/

Are you talking about the spouse visa when saying it could take a year? As normally they take only 4 months.

Feb 11, 2006, 09:52 AM
You can ask the officials here

or register and ask experts for free at http://www.immihelp.com/

Are you talking about the spouse visa when saying it could take a year? As normally they take only 4 months.
The first site is the one I used, and received two control numbers over a year ago, and have not received an answer back yet.
The second site did not tell me anything about my 'blood right', as my father acknowledged me by birth in Germany, so it's been proven that he's a US Citizen, but I would still have to pay more than I have to be allowed legally to live in the States permanently. Both of my brothers and my own daughter (I was also married to a US Citizen and worked there) who was born in Georgia, are US Citizens, and they would have to sponsor me with proof of ability to financially support me. So, where are my rights? The US let people immigrate each year, but only if they have a trade that can be utilitzed to benefit. So, I guess we 'half-breeds' can fend for ourselves.

Feb 11, 2006, 01:35 PM
Would that be a problem to have that form filled out by your ex? If he is working and earning the required amount above the poverty line and agrees to sponsor you then you should be OK. The first site I sent has the forms you need and even an example form.