View Full Version : When should an old lipstick be thrown out?

Jul 3, 2005, 07:30 AM
I was cleaning out some drawers and found some old cosmetics.

I know that all eye and face products should not be used past say six months because of bacteria concerns.

Is this true of lipsticks too?

When should an old lipstick be thrown out for health reasons?

Thank you.

Jul 4, 2005, 06:31 AM
Lipstick up to 4 yrs might be useable. But, if it smells rancid, throw it out. It can cause fever blisters.
Here is a link with "shelf life" of other cosmetics:

Best wishes,

Jul 4, 2005, 07:18 AM
Lipstick is made of mostly animal fats it goes rancid after about 1 year. It often changes colors and becomes brittle. Toss it besides new colors are more fun.

Jul 18, 2005, 10:53 PM
I once used an old lipstick and the area around my lips developed a rash . First ly, I could not make out why I got the allergy. Later we realised that it was due to the lipstick.

Oct 26, 2005, 09:33 PM
My mother has worked for Lancome for 20+ years, and I can safely say that from what she's told me, lipstick definitely needs to be thrown out after, say, two or three years. With mascara, it is about one or two years. When it starts to dry up and get clumpy, obviously, throw it out.

Dec 4, 2005, 04:48 AM
I thought mascara had to be thrown out every 3 months?

Dec 4, 2005, 04:51 PM
It's not good to keep a lipstick for up to 4 years. Lipsticks should be thrown out in 1 to 2 years. If the color starts to change, do not use it, toss it out right away.

It's best to throw away a mascara after 3 to 6 months. It will prevent you from getting microbes and the risk of an eye infection. Also, do not add water or saliva to moisten dry mascara because that will introduce bacteria.

Dec 4, 2005, 05:09 PM
When it doesn't go with anything you wear.