Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Academic Advising (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Education (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=816567)

  • Sep 28, 2015, 10:37 AM
    melanie40
    Education
    What is so important about education?
  • Sep 28, 2015, 10:45 AM
    Oliver2011
    Education is there so people will be less stoooooooopid.
  • Sep 28, 2015, 01:45 PM
    ma0641
    Kan you spel " sheeze a gud teecher? Add numbers without a calculator? Tell you what, send me all your bank account and credit card numbers and I will handle things for you!
  • Sep 29, 2015, 02:05 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Money, how much money the university will pay me to teach, that is the most important thing.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 06:13 AM
    teacherjenn4
    I see it differently: how many lives can I change by providing students the foundation for a life of learning?
  • Sep 29, 2015, 06:40 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    I was being somewhat sarcastic, I assume this is a homework question
  • Sep 29, 2015, 07:08 AM
    Oliver2011
    And a very noble task.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I see it differently: how many lives can I change by providing students the foundation for a life of learning?

  • Sep 29, 2015, 06:32 PM
    teacherjenn4
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I was being somewhat sarcastic, I assume this is a homework question

    I understood your answer! I decided to give a real answer. Pay is an issue for sure.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    And a very noble task.

    Some days, it doesn't seem that way, but others are incredibly rewarding.
  • Sep 30, 2015, 04:01 AM
    Oliver2011
    One that is increasingly difficult with our young people's continued lack of respect for adults, dwindling budgets, and the eroding moral compass. (Stepping off my soap box now... )

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post

    Some days, it doesn't seem that way, but others are incredibly rewarding.

  • Sep 30, 2015, 04:36 AM
    teacherjenn4
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    One that is increasingly difficult with our young people's continued lack of respect for adults, dwindling budgets, and the eroding moral compass. (Stepping off my soap box now... )

    I started my career teaching high school to disrespectful teenagers. Then, it was middle school, followed by 4th grade for 15 years. My current assignment is Kindergarten and I love every single day. The disrespect hasn't started at this age. I'm staying until I retire!
  • Sep 30, 2015, 04:49 AM
    Oliver2011
    There needs to be classes for adults (and teenagers sadly) on how to parent. Questioning authority is fine as long as it's done by the rules and not as an excuse for not taking responsibility for their own behavior. I am parenting for the second time in my life to two 12 year old boys. (One is ours and one never leaves.) I am raising them like I was raised and like I raised my two biological sons because I want them to be a nice addition to society. Why don't more people get that?

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I started my career teaching high school to disrespectful teenagers. Then, it was middle school, followed by 4th grade for 15 years. My current assignment is Kindergarten and I love every single day. The disrespect hasn't started at this age. I'm staying until I retire!

  • Sep 30, 2015, 06:02 AM
    teacherjenn4
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    There needs to be classes for adults (and teenagers sadly) on how to parent. Questioning authority is fine as long as it's done by the rules and not as an excuse for not taking responsibility for their own behavior. I am parenting for the second time in my life to two 12 year old boys. (One is ours and one never leaves.) I am raising them like I was raised and like I raised my two biological sons because I want them to be a nice addition to society. Why don't more people get that?

    I don't know, but I am hoping to instill good parenting skills to my parents at conference time. Luckily, they care and seem to listen. I teach in a high poverty area, yet most parents are doing pretty well.
    I raised two wonderful young men and I am proud of them. I applaud you for raising wonderful children. It isn't easy, but so rewarding!
  • Sep 30, 2015, 06:06 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    I am caught up in the system of education, if you take the idea of "no child left behind" and core standards and mandatory testing.
    The life choice of a student is decided by a test. If they can go to college and what their major can be. A teacher must pass a student, so some just sit in the back and sleep, or play with their phones. Being the best in the class is rewarded, but if a student just shows up enough for 4 to 5 years, they are passed. If you fail them in one subject, they merely have another teacher give them a "final test" and pass them.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 AM.