Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Handy Mann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Heat Pump runs but doesn't heat or cool.
    I know this is pretty basic--but my older Rheem Classic IX (in FL) seems to be operating fine--except it stopped heating and I think, cooling. It seems to be running fine, without any obvious leaking. It just blows the same cool air on either setting. Where should I start? Are there fuses to look for on auxiliary heat? Or coolant that needs a recharge? I don't have the manual and I'm a northern boy so this heat pump is a new experience for me.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Handydude - try looking for a blown fuse first. That seems to be the usual reason why the machine won't work. The fuse at the bottom on the water pump seems to be the likely culprit.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Are you sure the compressor is running ? Or is it just the condenser fan running? Sometime its hard to hear the 2 running at the same time ,except on startup,you`ll hear the compressor start up a second before the fan motor starts,, with a set of manifold guages you can tell by the pressure it builds up and shows on the gauge,, or you can disconnect the power going to the fan ,if you know what you are doing then hear the compressor running (thuis I wouldn`t advise unless you know what you are doing) elect. Bites
    Handy Mann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Perhaps the compressor isn't running. Hmmm? I remember thinking the unit sounded a little quieter that usual. I'm not there right now so I can't check to be sure. But if so, what would that mean? A fuse? What stops a compressor from running? Power was temporally interrupted to the outside unit to re-run the electrical feed to a new breaker box. But it's hooked up correctly and of course the fan runs. The breakers are all OK too. Is it circumstantial or did something happen then? Is there a re-set button or relay that popped?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Possible reset button,not sure of you make and model,, just look around and see if you find one,there could be a burned wire not sending power to compressor or any of the 3 wires connected to the compressor,, possible bad capactor, or a shot compressor,, It may be time to call out the professionals,, might cost a few $$ but could save you some $$ also just be very careful ,220 volts of electricity is nothing to experiment with

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump AHU fan runs continuously [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Trane Xe1000 heat pump. Recently I noticed that the fan keeps running continuously even when the outside unit turns off. It's as if the tstat fan switch is set to On (it's not) instead of Auto. I tried a few things: 1) In the tstat (weathertron) I disconnected the fan...

Heat Pump runs, blower does not [ 3 Answers ]

My Furnace/Heat Pump seems to be working incorrectly. There are times when the Heat Pump outside will run continuously while the thermostat says "heating" however, the blower doesn't come on inside. The coil coming into my furnace unit gets very hot. I have to turn off the unit completely for...

Heat Pump Thermostat Set to Cool, Blows Hot Air [ 6 Answers ]

Having a problem with my heat pump system. The thermostat is set to cool but the unit is blowing hot air. If it has been turned off for awhile and we turn it back on to cool (fan set to auto), it will blow at what seems to be room temperature for awhile (5-20 minutes) and then turns to hot air...

Outdoor fan on heat pump runs [ 2 Answers ]

The fan on an outdoor carrier unit won't turn off. Turned off at thermostate, tried everything, had to turn it off at the breaker. I am thinking maybe a relay is stuck. Is this a part I can pick up and replace myself or is it a different problem all together Thanks

Heat runs with ac and even auto kicks on emg heat [ 1 Answers ]

(Coleman Evcon) Some how the hot and cold on the inside thermostat switched.how is that possible?and how do I fix it?

View more questions Search