Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bobbynmegs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 09:08 AM
    How do I adopt a baby from a friend?
    [F]My friend's daughter is 18 yrs. And has two kids. She is pregnant with her third child. My husband and I are unable to have our own children and the girl wants to give the baby up. She wants to let us take and raise the baby as our own. I don't know where to search and find the steps of adopting at birth. Is it possible or do we still need to go through an agency? :confused: I am frustrated because she is due in three months and I feel totally clueless on the matter, especially not having much time!! :eek: PLEASE HELP!!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbynmegs
    [F]My friend's daughter is 18 yrs. and has two kids. She is pregnant with her third child. My husband and I are unable to have our own children and the girl wants to give the baby up. She wants to let us take and raise the baby as our own. I don't know where to search and find the steps of adopting at birth. Is it possible or do we still need to go through an agency??:confused: I am frustrated because she is due in three months and I feel totally clueless on the matter, especially not having much time!!!!:eek: PLEASE HELP!!!
    Get a lawyer. One that specializes in adoption or in family law.

You don't necessarily need an agency, but you DO need to make sure you take EVERY legal step, including (if you're in a state that allows it) the contract with the birthmother regarding contact with her child and updates.

Make SURE you outline ALL of the costs that you will supply for the birthmother-- all legal costs, medical costs, etc.

Some states do require that you have a background check to adopt, even if it is a private adoption.

If you get a lawyer in your area, they will be able to walk you through the steps you will need to take to adopt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Yes, it can be done privately but you almost for sure needs an attorney.
    And it is great you want to take on the responsibility of raising a child.

Make sure that that you get not only the mothers permssion to adopt but also the fathers permission.
    Bobbynmegs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 09:31 AM
    The birthfather is unknown. In that case he wouldn't be there at the birth and not on the birth certificate. Would that make things smoother or harder? Also with a private adoption can it be settled with out going to court?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 09:49 AM
    It makes it a lot harder, since there is a father, and he does not have to be on the birth certificate to have rights. So there is requirements for a search for the father, and if it is found latter that there was a father and he was known and just not notified, he could file to have the adoption over turned. So your attorney will have to clear the adoption though the courts by search, news notification of adoption and more.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Chuck answered your questions really well, in my opinion.

You will have to go to court, even with a private adoption. Adoption is a LEGAL process, and must be approved by the courts, much the same as a marriage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wanting to adopt a baby you know the mother would never give up [ 6 Answers ]

My bestfriends niece is one month pregnant and fourteen years old the father of her baby is fourteen as well, my fiancé and I have talked about adopting their baby only because we both know that she and the father can not take care of that baby and I know for a fact that it will not be safe in the...

Wanting to adopt a baby girl to make our family complete [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I are wanting to adopt a baby girl. We were suppose to adopt in October but, the adoption fell through. When we were suppose to sign the papers the girl never showed up. It has been very painful. We were really excited I had been talking to the mother for about four months....

Wanting to adopt a baby girl but, the wait is making me sad. What to do? [ 6 Answers ]

:( Hi, My husband and I wanted to adopt privately. We had an adoption that fell through in October. Well of course I have a whole wardrobe for a baby girl and a car seat and everything because, the adoption fell through the day we were suppose to take her home. We wanted to go the private...

My boyfriend wants to adopt my baby [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 month old baby. I went for a dna test with a guy and it came back that he's not her biological father. My boyfriend wants to adopt her. So I have two questions... 1. do we have to be married for him to adopt her. 2, Do I have to find out who her biological father is and have him sign...

Looking for a baby to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for two years and trying to have a baby for one year. We are not having any luck and are trying to find an adoption situation. We are looking for a birthmom who wants to find a family for her child. We are a happy family and could pprovide well for a child, so if...

View more questions Search