Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lululove Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Retail Theft.
    Hello...
    Well I applied to a job and I omitted the fact that I was charged with retail theft a few years ago. The thing is... I was not caught red handed and I never saw the supposed video tape that they said there was. I moved out of the area and they tracked me down and instead of fighting them I just gave them the money to leave me alone. The theft was only for 50 dollars. I obviously had to pay more then that with other charges they tacted on.
    Anyway here are my questions:
    1. what type of charge is this considered (ie-misdemeanor or is it just a summary or what)
    2. is this small charge going to show up on a criminal background check
    3. can I get this charge expunged off my record because I never saw the tape and I think it was all a bunch of BS...

Help me! :confused:
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lululove
    hello...
    well I applied to a job and I ommited the fact that I was charged with retail theft a few years ago. The thing is.... I was not caught red handed and I never saw the supposed video tape that they said there was. I moved out of the area and they tracked me down and instead of fighting them I just gave them the money to leave me alone. The theft was only for 50 dollars. I obviously had to pay more then that with other charges they tacted on.
    Anyway here are my questions:
    1. what type of charge is this considered (ie-misdemeanor or is it just a summary or what)
    2. is this small charge going to show up on a criminal background check
    3. can I get this charge expunged off my record because I never saw the tape and I think it was all a bunch of BS...

Were you charged and paid a fine or did you pay the store you are accused of stealing from? Maybe there were no charges at all.

No telling if it's on your record.

Never seeing the tape and thinking it was all a "bunch of BS" is not grounds for expunging if you go that far. You paid the money and will be presumed guilty.

Did you take the money or not? You say you were not caught red handed and never saw the tape but don't address the actual theft.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 04:55 PM
    If the police did not come and if you did not get a notice to appear in court and/or pay a fine in court, there is no criminal record.

It sounds like this was handled in though civil methods of collecting the money and penalty ( not fines) directly to the store or a collection agency.

So if you were arrested and if you were found guilty in court, then this is a misdeanor. Now if it is on your record, you will have to first admit fault and stop making stupid excuses. Next you will have to wait 8 to 10 years after the crime and petition the court where you were found guilty to explunge the record

If you did not do the crime and think it was BS why did you admit guilty, why did you plead guilty to the crime and why did you pay the fines to the court and pay the store back ?

I would say you did it, don't feel sorry about it and just sorry you got caught.

Apr 18, 2008, 05:36 PM
    I paid the money because the constable was trying to take me to jail in a city that I was new to.
    I did not do the crime I plead guilty because it was just easier at the time to pay the money.
    I did not go to court but I did pay the penalty fees. I really need to know if this is going to pop up on a background check.
    Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 06:02 PM
    But if you plead guilty in court to a criminal charge, yes it will be on your background check for the rest of your life unless it is latter explunged, or unless you worked out a plea agreement in court

Apr 18, 2008, 06:18 PM
    I didn't go to court. I just paid the fines and got finger printed...
    Is this going to be considered as a misdemeaner
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lululove
    I didn't go to court. I just paid the fines and got finger printed...
    Is this going to be considered as a misdemeaner
    Hello lulu:

You only get convicted in court. That's the big building downtown with a lot of Roman pillars in front. IF you didn't go there, you didn't get convicted.

There's no more to it than that.

excon
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Sounds like he first did not have an attorney and he has no idea what he plead to and what really happened.

It sounds like he returned a "ticket" or did some deal to pay a fine and did not have to appear in court.

But yes if you paid a fine to criminal court, yes you have a record.
    YOu are not really giving enough info as to what really happened, and seem to be confusing civil issues with criminal issues.

At some point there had to be something criminal in criminal court, if you were fingerprinted, Was there a ticket, was there some agreement with the DA as to paying a fine to criminal court?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    sounds like he first did not have an attorney and he has no idea what he plead to and what really happened.

It sounds like he returned a "ticket" or did some deal to pay a fine and did not have to appear in court.

But yes if you paid a fine to criminal court, yes you have a record.
    YOu are not really giving enough info as to what really happened, and seem to be confusing civil issues with criminal issues.

At some point there had to be something criminal in criminal court, if you were fingerprinted, Was there a ticket, was there some agreement with the DA as to paying a fine to criminal court ??

I would say there was some type of warrant - note the "I moved out of the area and they tracked me down" language. So I would say, yes, there's a criminal record.

And then there's the whole other question of "omitting" this episode on a job application and having the episode discovered - which is best left for another thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retail theft under $100 [ 13 Answers ]

I was recently caught trying to steal a few small items from a walmart store. An undercover police officer working there caught me. The items totaled to about $45. I did not have to go to jail and get bailed out but was issued a citation and have to show up in court. Should I get a lawyer? I'm 21...

Retail theft [ 3 Answers ]

I quit my position at this retail store that I use to work for about one week and half ago. 2 days ago I received a call from the asset protection from the company regarding my recent departure from the company and they want me to call. The next day they called again and said that they are doing...

Retail Theft [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I committed retail theft a few years ago. I admitted to my employer that I had been committing retail theft and I had to pay every cent I took back and write a formal letter of apology. Will this go on my Criminal record? I never got arrested or went to court for this matter? Will...

Retail theft under $150, in PA [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I got caught for doing something very stupid retail theft... my gut said don't do it and I still did. I was just trying to see how people do it and not get caught heard from other people, watching TV no one ever gets caught. People who do it first time and don't know how to do it get caught....

Retail theft [ 2 Answers ]

I recently got arrested for retail theft but the item was only 20 dollars but this is also my second offence what do you think will happen oh it's a misdemeanor

View more questions Search