Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    studior Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
    How to wire a generator plug?
    I have purchased 10-3 uf direct burial cable to wire to the transfer switch of my generator and back to the male waterproof receptical. I plan on taking one wire at a time off on the switch and the receptical to make sure I properly place them back. While I was at Lowe's I had a receptacle in my hand but did not think to look at the wiring diagram. Is it the same on all recepticles? What designation is on the receptacle that would match the colors of the wire?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 04:22 AM
    There is no such thing as a "male receptacle". That is an oxymoron.

What are you trying to wire, the female inlet receptacle at the transfer switch, or the male plug at the generator end?

Apr 18, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by studior
    I have purchased 10-3 uf direct burial cable to wire to the transfer switch of my generator and back to the male waterproof receptical. I plan on taking one wire at a time off on the switch and the receptical to make sure I properly place them back. While I was at Lowe's I had a recepticle in my hand but did not think to look at the wiring diagram. Is it the same on all recepticles? What designation is on the recepticle that would match the colors of the wire?

Works perfect- Thanks for the help. Studio R

Apr 18, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing wire terminals from Honda plug [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm replacing the ignition switch on my cousins 1999 accord and the new one came with the component missing that secures to the side of the lock cylinder. No problem as I though I would just remove the big black and white wire from the new plug and put it in the old plug that has the...

3 wire 220 connecting transfer switch to generator [ 2 Answers ]

I have a manual transfer switch that I want to use between my house circuits and my 5000 watt generator. I have 3 wire #10 receptical existing from the circuit box over to where my generator sets (it is exhausted outside). Can I use this 3 wire line to connect my transfer switch to my generator...

3 wire plug or 4 wire plug [ 1 Answers ]

Good day. I have an older style electrical generator for backup power for my house. It has 2, 20 amp 120 volt, 3 prong plug ins and 1, 20 amp 240 volt , 3 prong plugin( 3 wire). I am installing a manual transfer switch in my house with a plugin located on the outside of the house. The outside...

2 wire plug to 3 wire plug [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hunter brand Hepa filter. I need to put a 3 prong plung on it so that it is grounded. How do I do this?

4 wire plug to 3 wire appliance [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 wire plug in the wall for my clothes dryer. How do I wire this into a 3 wire clothes dryer?

View more questions Search