Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilovehorses1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 12:32 PM
    I want a divorce how do I protect myself financially?
    I want a divorce. My husband has been unfaithful three times in my two year marriage.
    How can I protect myself financially? I have two daughters and sold my home that was nearly paid off to live with him. I was debt free with a car paid for and home pd off in 8 years. Now in debt to my eyeballs. He had a lot of credit card debt I paid it all off and used all my saving and my inheritance form my parents. About $80,000. Now my credit score is lower and no money. Should I sty and try to put money aside for me? He is very hard to live with and I don't even like him any more.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Who spent all the money? I would think and this can depend on the lawyers and judge, but normally assets are split so are debts.
    ilovehorses1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 12:46 PM
    When I moved in with him I used all my money to pay his previous credit card debt. His car, boat motorcycle loans and household expenses were all very behind. We have bought noting since we were married.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 07:05 AM
    If you have proof of this I would get your lawyer to try and get ALL of "his toys and them promptly sell them and try to recoup some of your money. It reminds me of the story of the guy who runs off with his secretary and then calls his wife and asks her to sell his Corvette and send him the money. You, she puts an ad in the paper for a Corvette for sale for 500 dollars.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovehorses1
    I want a divorce. My husband has been unfaithful three times in my two year marriage.
    How can i protect myself financially? I have two daughters and sold my home that was nearly paid off to live with him. I was debt free with a car paid for and home pd off in 8 years. now in debt to my eyeballs. He had a lot of credit card debt i paid it all off and used all my saving and my inheritance form my parents. about $80,000. now my credit score is lower and no money. should i sty and try to put money aside for me? He is very hard to live with and i don't even like him any more.

Before he costs you any more money consult with an Attorney - you were a married couple and I am not aware of any Court that will go back and review debts during a marriage, order him to "pay you back."

Do the best you can to conserve what you have left.

It is always possible, depending on your State, that he will incur MORE debt and you will be responsible for, minimally, helping him pay it off - because you are married to him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting financially healthy - credit card debts [ 10 Answers ]

I have been in denial about my financial situation. All I know is that I´m over my head and I need to talk to the bank manager before the end of this month, because I have huge credit card debts. I cannot sleep and when I sleep, I dream of my credit cards. I have been paying one card off with...

Destroyed by ex. Financially, for no reason, where do I turn now? [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to make a long story very short. So I'll just list it as facts, so that you can understand my problem. 20 facts... over 9 years 1- Divorced in 1999, after wife left with my two youngest children, after meeting some guy on the internet. She left my older two, then only 10 and 12, home...

Financially Irresponsible [ 2 Answers ]

My parents are both retired. My father is 70 and my mother is 67. Both have health issues. My father takes care of the finances, however, he has stopped paying all of their bills. My mother is going blind because of an eye disease (maculardegeneration?) and my father is not paying any of the...

Financially Irresponsible Elderly parent [ 5 Answers ]

My mother is 74 and widowed. When my father was alive, he was able to maintain both her financial and social skills. She was very ill in 2001 and since then, she has become financially irresponsible. She does not maintain any form of budget or balance her checking account. She owns her home,...

View more questions Search