Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    North Maine Dad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Removing grout from tile to reuse tile
    We had our kitchen remodeled last year and removed/saved the old tile. We are now doing a bathroom and want to reuse the tile. How do I remove old grout from the back of tile so I can reuse the tile?
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Apr 12, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Are you referring to the adhesive that was used to hold it in place if so is it a cement type material (thinset) or a mastic type adhesive. I believe there are some chemicals that might break down the mastic but the thinset would be a real pain to remove unless someone else has heard of some other way the only way I know to remove thinset is scrape,sand or grind let me know exactly what your trying to remove and we will see what we can figure out GOOD LUCK ,AC
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Carbide rasp on the fein multimaster. C. & E. FEIN GmbH - Der FEIN MULTIMASTER

Look at the videos on the website.

The tool oscillates.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Apr 12, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Great looking tool looks like it would do the job. I think I might just add that to my christmas list
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 11:41 AM
    This is just a general rule of thumb, don't try to save old tiles. The thinset is going to be a big problem properly removing it and you will break many tiles. This will limit the possible reuse of tiles to only smaller jobs and the tile itself isn't horribly expensive to begin with. Remember, time is money even for the DIYers.
    art in mich Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 05:44 PM
    You could use a large notch trowel (greater than the largest thickness of old mortar) and press tiles into bed according to thickness of thinset the back. I do this when using inconsistently thick material, such as slate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Set Tile Grout [ 7 Answers ]

My Son-in-law Tiled His Bathroom Floor And Did Not Wash The Grout Off The Tiles When He Was Done. Consequently, It Hardened. I'm Wondering Whether There's A Solvent For This Hardened Grout. The Tiles Do Not Have A Smooth Surface, But Rather Many Small Depressions And Grooves With The Hardened Grout...

Grout removal from tile [ 6 Answers ]

I tiled a backsplash in a kitchen and then I had to leave for a period before I could grout it , so the homeowners dad came over and thought he would help and grouted the tile for me. He really messed it up and left way too much grout on it, my 1/8 inch grout lines are about 3/8 to 1/2 and there is...

Removing stains on floor tile grout [ 6 Answers ]

I am having a terrible time removing stains from grout that was here when we bought the house. It is in the kitchen and I have tried everything under the sun. Some one said vinegar and that didn't work. Ive also tried oxyclen and it didn't work either. I have tried clorox clean up and awesome. We...

Grout Tile On Concrete [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I Have Recently Removed Ceramic Tile From A Concrete Floor And Am Left With A Huge Mess Of Grout Absolutely Stuck To The Concrete. I Can No Longer Physically Scrape It... how Can I Remove It Without Damaging The Concrete Floor? I Want To Put Hardwood On It And Need The Surface To Be As...

View more questions Search