Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sara356 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Do children receive SSI benefits for a disabled parent?
    Do children that have a disabled parent that receives SSI benefits only receive a check themselves if they are under 18 years old? I have heard that if the parent was under a certain poverty level that the children would receive a check also. Is there any truth to this?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Not that I am aware of. The child would receive their own disability check only if THEY were disabled.
    Izannah Posts: 125, Reputation: 18

Apr 11, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Children can receive SSI for their own disabilities, don't believe it has anything to do with the parent's disability, but I could be wrong. It may depend on what the situation is. If the child is still a minor when a parent dies, they can receive checks from Social Security from the parent's RSDI (Retirement/Survivor) benefits... as long as the parent has paid into their RSDI enough (10 years or 40 work quarters - not necessarily 10 straight years of work). So mom or dad keel over and they worked enough to pay into the system, the child will get the parent's benefit until they turn the age of majority (usually 18).

There are programs like ADC (Aid to Dependent Children) for low income families and AABD (Assistance for the Aged, Blind and Disabled) which can help.

I would talk to your local Health and Human Services department to see what programs you or the child (in his/her own right) may be eligible for.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Yes they most definitely can my kids got money from my ex's disability.
    They got around 70. Each monthly, but that was back in 1993-1999.
    I am sure it is up to around a hundred or more by now because they give a yearly increase.
    You may still be eligible for other programs too.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2008, 09:45 AM
    I have a friend that had a neck injury. While she was getting ssi her children got a check as well, even though their father was in the home and working, same thing with my sil law she had leukemia. She and her daughter got the benefits even up to one year after she returned to work. This is in Ohio. In ky where my bil lives he got it due to grand mal seizures and his daughter received benefits. So I would say yep, the child could receive benefits until age 18, or out of school. I would say possibly even during college but I would check on the college part.
    toebeecat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 09:09 AM
    As long as the child is under 18 or still in high school (if older than 18) AND unmarried; they can get benefits. The child is entitled to 50% of the parent's disability benefit.

From what I understand, when you apply for the child at the SS office, you need to show proof of the parent's disability. I think your approval letter would be sufficient.

You can go to the Social Security's website for details: Benefits For Children
    free grants Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 01:06 AM
    SSI makes monthly payments to people with low income and limited resources who are 65 or older, or blind or disabled. Your child under age 18 can qualify if he or she meets Social Security’s definition of disability for children, and if his or her income and resources fall within the eligibility limits. Or your may read the full information at SSA.gov website
    bluejeangal Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2008, 03:05 PM
    If the parent is disabled and receives disability benefits, then the child up to age 18 or until emancipated. If more than one chid, the benefits for half of adult benefits will go to children.
    Example: disabled parent receives $1000 a month.. then child/children will receive $500 a month total.. not a piece.

If the parent is deceased.. and doesn't have in lots of employment, say, died at age 26 with not much work history... all children of the deceased parent will receive the minimum amount of ssi. There is no limit on how many children receive it.. the amount going to each child is the same and is based on the employment history of parent.

After age 18, if not in college, all funds cease.
    Hope this helps...
    Have one son who decease at age 26 with 4 children... receive close to $300 month on each child
    Have a son who had massive head injury with 2 children.. rec's around $1000 month and his 2 children receive a check for 1/2 that amount.

Hope this helps some, but all states and all circumstances are different, so contact you ssa office for your situation.
    babbagene Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 5, 2008, 11:52 PM
    BlueJean , I have another question, I am on ssi now (for a back injury), its permanent. I will use round numbers to make it easy, first off I have a wife (not working , and 2 children (ages 15 and 5) I receive a check for $1300 and the rest of my family each get a check for appx $216 apiece ( that's the wife and 2 children). My wife and I are divorcing and the kids will be legally staying with me, can you tell me in what way that will affect the amount and distribution of the ssi checks.My wife will be getting a job , so no need to figure in alimony or things like that.
    I am hoping that I do not lose my wife's $216 portion , but instead that it nows gets figured into my children amounts. I am hoping I will not loose any money (it will only be distributed differently).
    Please only answer this question if you are absolutely positive of how this will work.
    Thank you
    Sam
    melanie42276 Posts: 56, Reputation: 0

Oct 24, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Yes as long as you have enough work credits.
    cucupuffs Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 03:12 PM
    Nohelp4u... can you tell me how I can apply for my 2 babies.. I only receive an ssi check and we're in a hole... I really need for them to get checks to help out.. thanks

Jan 9, 2010, 03:15 PM
    Babbajean.. can you tell me how to apply for my 2 babies please.. I only receive a small ssi check and we're in a whole.. that extra money would really help and actually save us?. BlueJean , I have another question, I am on ssi now (for a back injury), its permanent. I will use round numbers to make it easy, first off I have a wife (not working , and 2 children (ages 15 and 5) I receive a check for $1300 and the rest of my family each get a check for appx $216 apiece ( that's the wife and 2 children). My wife and I are divorcing and the kids will be legally staying with me, can you tell me in what way that will affect the amount and distribution of the ssi checks.My wife will be getting a job , so no need to figure in alimony or things like that.
    I am hoping that I do not lose my wife's $216 portion , but instead that it nows gets figured into my children amounts. I am hoping I will not loose any money (it will only be distributed differently).
    Please only answer this question if you are absolutely positive of how this will work.
    Thank you

Jan 9, 2010, 03:16 PM
    bluejeangal... can u tell me how to apply for my 2 babies please.. I only receive a small ssi check and we're in a whole.. that extra money would really help and actually save us?.

Jan 9, 2010, 03:17 PM
    Freegrants... can u tell me how to apply for my 2 babies please.. I only receive a small ssi check and we're in a whole.. that extra money would really help and actually save us?. thanks

Jan 9, 2010, 03:18 PM
    toebeecat... can u tell me how to apply for my 2 babies please.. I only receive a small ssi check and we're in a whole.. that extra money would really help and actually save us?. thanks
    imagine77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 08:50 AM
    If you are a child who is living in the same dwelling with a mother, father, step parent, grand parent, adopted, you can, and will receive a check of up to half of that disabled individuals monthly check. If you are the child of a deceased parent, you will receive 75%. Most children receive around $700.00 to $800.00 a month for a deceased parent, and around $400.00 to $500.00 if the parent is disabled and drawing a disability check. As long as the parent is receiving a check, the child will receive it.
    imagine77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 09:01 AM

Cucupuffs... You will lose your wife's SSI unless she continues to live in your home. The checks your children are receiving are suppose to be used to both raise them, supply for them, and to give them the things they would like, that you cannot afford to give them. As long as it is you who is raising them, and your home they are living in, then SSI will not and cannot change. The only thing that will change is your wife's check, it's only right wouldn't you say? Unless of course she is going to live under your roof. SSi is, and was designed to help disabled individuals to carry on with being able to take care of their families. So many individuals abuse the monies which are intended for the care of their children, and also for the child to have things they want and need, that their parents may not be able to afford any longer.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 07:05 AM

Yeah Imagine is right. You need to go file for them. Tell them you want the supplemental ssi/ssd for the children of the person on the ssi/ssd. There is a difference and it is best to know exactly what one they are receiving when you talk to them. They can look it up but often they make an issue of the distinctions.
    borce6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sara356 View Post
    Do children that have a disabled parent that receives SSI benefits only receive a check themselves if they are under 18 years old? I have heard that if the parent was under a certain poverty level that the children would receive a check also. Is there any truth to this?
    YES!! YES!! YES!! Get a load of this: I began collecting disability one year after my divorce. My ex-wife and I were divorced when our child was born. I applied for Social Security Disability and was approved because of my disability. My ex-wife went to court and received the following: $16,000 lump sum back pay because I stopped working two years before receiving SSD and $900/month for one child! I receive $1700 a month. Not a bad gig for the ex??
    borce6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sara356 View Post
    Get a load of this! To women everywhere plan ahead! Forget about prenups! Marry a man that has made a modest living say around $400,000 - $500,000. That's all it really takes. Just in case the marriage doesn't go well drive him insane and make him file for social security disability! If you have a child you will receive at least $1000 or more a month. Depending on how long your ex-husband needs to wait before being approved; you will receive back pay! About half of what he gets!
    My ex-wife did it to me! I was married and divorced in less than a year and have one child with my ex-wife. Three months after I began to get $1700/month she got a lawyer and receives $900/month and a lump sum check for $16,000. During our marriage we both didn't work either!
    CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Disabled parent [ 8 Answers ]

If a man has been on ssi in n.j. all of his adult life due to nuerological impairment,learning disorders,adhd and conduct disorder can he be ordered to pay child support or be ordered to get a job?academic skills are at the 2nd to 4th grade levels.

Benefits for surviving disabled divorced spouse? [ 5 Answers ]

My ex spouse committed suicide 1 year ago. He was in law enforcement We were married 11 years and divorced in 1997 so we have been divorced for 11 years when he died. While married, I was permanently injured in a mva and have been on and receiving social security disability since 1992, He was 49...

Can a 1099 receive Vacation Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

If an employee moves from a W2 to 1099, Are they entitled to cash out on their remaining vacation benefits?

Can volunteers receive benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Can volunteers of a nonprofit receive health benefits, life insurance or pensions/retirement benefits?

I am a disabled adult with a codendent parent [ 4 Answers ]

I am sorry this is so long I tried to make this as short as possible, but I thought the details were very important. I am dealing with different type of codependency and I am miserable. Here it goes: I am 32 yrs old. I believe my mother and I are codependent (or at least one of us is) I have...

View more questions Search