Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vmeschino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 05:12 PM
    TUB Leaks when drained
    Hello,

I have a second story tub that is leaking as soon as the water is released to the drain. Although I have a first floor powder room directly underneath the tub the ceiling is not wet. Rather the water seems to be running down the waste line and onto my basement ceiling tile. I can see the drops collect and drip at the bottom of the waste line. Any recommendations on how to tackle this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vince
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 03:53 AM
    Vmeschino:

If you are sure that this drip is only associated with the tub draining then first, I would have you check behind tub (if closet or similar behind tub) and see if there is an access panel present. If it is, remove the access panel and see what is going on in there.

If not, may need to cut an access panel in (home depot sells great spring loaded access panels that just "clip" in place when you are done). Then fill the tub, drain the tub and see where the leak shows up from there.

That is where I would start given the information presented. Let us know what you decide/find.. ok? Mark

If this answer helped please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 10, 2008, 07:37 AM
    This is what you'll see when you open the access panel,(see image). Tell Mark where the leak is coming from. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

18.5 b&s drained 1 gallon of gas out of oil [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 B&S ran fine for about thirty minutes ran out of gas. After putting in new gas it will only run about 4 seconds blows a lot of smoke and drained a gallon of gas out of the oil reservoir. What might have caused this?

Bubble noise in toilets, septic tanks just drained [ 7 Answers ]

Started about 2 weeks ago, both toilets, back to back rooms, started making bubbling noises, then would not flush. Let sit water in bowl goes down, let sit even longer I could flush a couple times normal then would start backing up again. Tub and sinks and everything seem to drain fine no problem....

WHIRLPOOL washing machine does not drained during spin cycle [ 1 Answers ]

Wondering if there is a quick fix to my problem, the water in my washer drains OK but the clothes are all wet when the spin cycle is finished?

Low pressure, hot water, backflushed, drained tank [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like a more thorough description of this if possible. I've done everything I can think of other than checking this nipple. My pipes look like copper. The house is about 15 years old. Water pressure was great one day and had dropped to about 1/4 or less the very next day (it didn't drop...

Drained central heating [ 1 Answers ]

I have drained my vented central heating system to clear sludge. The header tank has refilled but the system has not. I have removed the pump which was full of debris but there is no water coming out of the pipe from the header tank to the pump (a drop of eight feet). On loosening the compression...

View more questions Search