Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babiik382 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 02:46 PM
    How Do I Get Black Out Of My Hair!!
    OK... well I have done a lot of hair dying in the past 3 years... I first started with a brownish red with golden highlights, and kept that up for about a year. Then I dyed my hair black and kept that for about a year also. Then I got my hair chemically straightened which only lasted for a couple weeks (mad about that) and it made my hair very weak... that was about 8 months ago. Then in April of 2006 I came to my senses and went to a hairdresser so I could get this black out of my hair, but she was afraid it would damage my hair even more and it might fall out even?? I have very long hair and I don't want to wait for the black to grow out! I have hot pink highlights with the black underneath, but I'm getting sick of it, and my skin is very pale, I would like to go back to my natural hair color, which is medium brown. Is there any way I can get my hair back to its natural hair color without having to grow it out?? PLEASE HELP!!

Sara
    wildcatgirl Posts: 73, Reputation: 13

Nov 3, 2006, 03:52 PM
    I once fried the life out of my hair with a home perm--won't do that again. Use a super heavy conditioner before you color your hair and leave it on for about 10 minutes. My hair is naturally black, but I'm going gray, so I color my hair a medium brown to help hide my grays better. Garnier Fruitese is what I usually use--it has jojoba oil and is very gentle. Their after color conditioner is great too. I usually comb that through my hair and let it sit for about 2 minutes after coloring. Then, for routine strengthening, I use Pantene Pro-V Restoritives Strengthening Lotion. That stuff saved my hair from the bad perm. I used it every day and about after 2 weeks, my hair was almost normal again. Now I just use it about once a week. Another good product for everyday use is Infusium 23 leave in treatment. I have naturally curly hair that frizzes when it curls. So, trust me, if I don't heat style my hair or use a styling products, I look like I have a fro. My hair is under heat every day and this stuff really works. Good Luck!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 4, 2006, 01:14 AM
    Sara, in order to go back to your natural color, the permanent black color would have to be chemically removed, and then your desired color is applied. But your hair is in very bad condition from using a chemical straightener, therefore, if the hairstylist tries to strip the color, it would damage the hair.

The only way to restore the appearance of chemically processed hair is through the application of good conditioning products. Use a deep conditioning treatment at least 2-3 times a week to help restore the damage. You should also use a leave-in conditioner. When your hair is in healthy condition, you can go back to the hairstylist and see if he/she can do corrective coloring on your hair.
    babiik382 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Thanks so much! Just to clarify, I should use a deep conditioning treatment (I was thinking Biolage Cera-Repair Pro4™- hydrathérapie in-salon treatment, is that okay, or do you have other recomendations) 2-3 times a week until my hair is healthy, and then go to the salon and get my hair stripped of all color? When can I get the desired color in my hair? The same day? Or how long after?

What should I do if I go to a salon and they tell me I can't get my hair stripped because it will fall out and they don't want to be held responsible for that?

And will my hair fall out?? I'm scared!! I have such longggg beautiful hair!

I really don't want to use any products like Color zap or Color fix because I'm so afraid of what I might do to my hair. I DO want to go to a salon, but what if they can't help me? Should I call around and get some consultations? I am willing to pay big money to go back to brown!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 4, 2006, 11:16 PM
    It's okay to use the Biolage Cera-Repair Pro4 treatment. You will need to do intensive conditioning treatments until your hair is able to recover from the chemical damage. Leave the treatments on for at least 10-20 minutes then rinse out. It may take a few weeks for the damage to repair, so you have to be patient. Since your hair is 2 different colors (black and pink), the hairstylist will need to lighten or strip the color from your hair and then apply your selected color. Once your hair is healthy, a stylist will check your hair to determine what hair coloring process is right for you. It would be a good idea to call the salons in your area and go in for a consultation.
    risiko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 05:19 PM
    I just went to the salon to have my (repeatedly) dyed black hair stripped. I eventually want to go platnum. My well respected stylist urged me to take the process slowly-- a shade every month - 6 weeks-- not faster!

We did step one-
    Two applications of chemical stripper. And bleach at the roots. My hair was dull ruby / black cherry at the ends, lightning towards the root where there had been fewer applications of the black dye and platnum at the root- which had not been dyed.

She applied the color-- we decided on a light brown to mask some of the red and even out the color-- but it turned into basically black cherry all over by the time it was finished.

AND MY HAIR WAS TOTALLY FRIED. Totally.
    The texture of my fine wavy, curly hair is now straw and looks like I had an afro lightly relaxed.

From the research I have done, it looks unlikely I will be able to regain my old hair texture until the damaged length grows out.

$250 and 5 hours.
    And a "competent and conservative" salon.

Um. Yeah.

Oh- and the stripper burned the hell out of my scalp. I have small scabs as well!

Not sure whether this always happens, or if I am just totally unlucky.
    blackhairhelp Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 8, 2008, 01:03 PM
    do what I'm doing at the moment
    just start dark brown, then every time you die it go a shade lighter
    mine now goes from medium brown to black but it blends and its not that bad a look attually
    I'll miss it when its gone :/
    thinking about blonde in mine once the blacks gone too

trust me, I've been doing it about 6 months, my hair condition is fine and I have no problems with it.
    the brown eventually lightens the black too

just get it cut often and dyed often and your all good.

blackhair16uk. x

Only ANSWER the question on this page here. Do NOT ASK a question.

You are NOT logged in.

POURING BOXED OF HAIR COLORS ON YOUR HEAD WILL DAMAGE YOUR HAIR.
    panthers09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 10:24 PM
    I JUST DID THIS. Like literally. Just yesterday. I guess I like the color, but on me? No way. Black, (I have officially decided), is definitely NOT my color. I look dead lol. I've decided to use a clarifying shampoo, deep-condition HARDCORE for a week, then get it lightened back up to dark brown next Saturday. I'll check back up then and tell you if it worked!
    gr8stylez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 10:33 PM
    I am a licensed stylist and depending on the texture, health, and overall porosity of one's hair determines how and what will need to be done to lighten said hair. If your hair is in a healthy state then you should be able to go to a salon and get it lightened but make sure you ask if they have done this before and what result they have gotten or make sure that you go to a salon that specializes in corrective color. I do and I also have gone from black to platinum in about two days so it all depends on the person's knowledge and ability, but beware hair stylist are prideful creatures and like to pretend they know how to do things when sometimes they can not. And if you ever go to a salon and someone wants to apply bleach directly to your scalp tell them no unless you are a platinum blond and you are doing a touch up, if not bleach should always be applied to the tips of hair first never, never, never the scalp.
    baffy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 10:14 AM
    I TRIED to go from platinum to a dark blonde/light brown and all but the roots ended up lavender/blue. My only choice at that point was to put some black dye on to mask the blue/purple... I am using Prell shampoo to strip some of the color out; it is now a chocolate brown, which is better than the black against my pale skin.

Have you considered getting a short haircut?? I know it sounds devastating, but if your hair is as damaged as you say it is you really don't have a lot of options at this point; it is going to break off any way! I went from waist-length hair to an uber-short pixie and I LOVED IT! I felt prettier and sexier with short hair than I did with long (which usually just got thrown back in a ponytail anyway) A chick who has the confidence can really rock short hair. Go on one of those 'try-on' websites and try on a short cut... you might be surprised how much you like some of them!
    iCrAzEhGirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 02:54 AM

I also need help with this I have had my hair dyed black for a year now and I'm tired of it.For the first time when I dyed it I left it be for 6 months then started dying it like crazy over the summer because the color would not stay black.I then went to a hair salon and got it redyed and the color stripped out of it so I had blond streaks(and still do) but when the hair stylist did it she said that if she stripped it much more my hair would fall out so it was a blondish redish color for awhile but since I straighten my hair all the time it lightened up but I have so much damage from straightening it and dying it I'm afraid if I go to a hair salon and get it stripped back to my brown hair color and my hair may fall out.My hair is really curly and really thin and super long!I don't want to ruin my hair anymore but I don't want to wait for it grow out.
    beautifulxxx4875 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 03:19 PM
    Im in the process of getting my hair to its natural colour, I'm 27 and I've been dying it black since I was 16, my hair is in beautiful condition and its long, I've been putting head and shoulders on my hair DRY (as it has something in it that lifts the colour from your hair) then leaving it in a shower cap for an hour so it can sweat, then washing it out and then putting my normal shampoo and conditioner in and all the black comes out, I've been doing this every other day and my hair is now brown again! My natural colour, I haven't seen it for years, brilliant xxx
    hayabs1990 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2010, 09:48 AM
    EASY! Go to a hairdresser and ask for them to 'bleach bath' your hair and then apply a brown on top of your choice. I promice it will work I do that every time :D ps. I am also a qualified hairdresser so trust me!
    dance4life101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2011, 11:12 AM
    OK so my hair was already a brownish colour but I wanted it to be a bit darked so I died it again and of course it went BLACK! I got so mad. I just need to know how I can get this black hair dye out of my hair FAST and not bleach or hair dye removers something quick and as easy as possible

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black Hair [ 8 Answers ]

I have long, thick, curly hair, which is naturally a honey blonde colour. I've had it black for the past 2 years or so, and I've decided I'd really like something different. Basically, I would like to have the top half of my hair still black, and the bottom half an electric blue or hot pink...

HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair [ 42 Answers ]

Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it. I naturally have dark...

Dying your hair black [ 17 Answers ]

I'm considering dying my hair black but I've heard that it's unhealthy in some ways. I was wonderinf if any of you know if it's harmful?

I like black hair but my boyfriend doesn't! [ 4 Answers ]

:o hi, I really like my black hair color but my boyfriend really doesn't becayse he says I look son kind of the girl from "THE RING" but way cutter, :p . I think balck is sexy but he thinks blonde is, so I've decided to change my blue black permanent color back to my dark brown natural color, so...

Black hair issues... [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: :confused: here's my black hair deal: always used semipermanents near natural light brown until I did all but the extremes-blonde and black... I did blonde and it was fine because I dyed over it and it fixed but then the black didn't come out... I died it about... january...

View more questions Search