Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokanee1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Low water flow from bath faucet after new water heater
    I just had my water heater replaced by a plumber. Now the hot water flow and pressure is about 1/4th of what it used to be at the upstairs tub faucet. Other faucets in the same bath seem low as well but it is hard to tell. The bath tub faucet had great flow before and would fill the tub in 5 minutes. The plumber said he did not cause the problem but after talking to him more he said that the old water heater was plumbed backwards (cold water inlet was connected to the hot fitting on the heater and the hot water out let line was connected to the cold fitting on the heater). So I switched the hot and cold flex pipes around so they would be backward like it was before the water heater was replaced. Now I have great flow at the tub faucet but the hot water temp seems to cool off before the tub is full. Any help

Much appreciated.

Mike
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 05:53 PM
    This is perplexing since switching the lines should only cause the quicker drop in water temperature and not any change whatsoever in the flow rate. Put the lines back where they belong and lets start looking for ideas as to what is causing the problem. I would suggest you start by calling your plumber a second time and ask him if he did not cause the issue what does he think is happening. Stands to reason that if there was not flow problem, he did some work and now you have a flow problem, the plumber has some talking to do. Can you or he rig a tempoary by pass to test the house lines themselves for a flow problem. Ask the plumber tpo verify the water pressure before and after the new tank, should be the same, about 45 psi.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Hey Mike... somethings not right here!

First question: Gas or electric water heater.. Permit pulled.. Inspector showed up to inspect the water heater installation..

I have a couple ideas... let me know answers.. see what we can think of... Mark.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 05:54 PM
    That one was a tie Bob... ;)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 05:59 PM
    The heater has a dip tube on the cold water input side. Cold make up water is carried to the bottom of the tank to be heated. As water is heated the hot water rises to the top. Hot water is taken off the top. Hence the reason for the lack of hot water, you are taking the cold water off the bottom of the tank. Put the piping back to proper locations. The reversed piping affecting the flow is not logical unless something in the piping itself is changed by reversing, such a kink in the pipes.

Can you post a picture of the pipes?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Mark, that happens so often, we are both typing away thinking we are the only one there. I can't count the times I have hit enetr only to see you or Speedball1 were moments ahead of me. Looks like harold is only 6 minutes behind us so we better pick up the pace. Guess we all think this one is, as Spock would say, illogical.
    Kokanee, I think we can skip the checking of the mixing valve which is kind of SOP for us since you say you have good pressure when the lines are reversed. Do you know or did you see that the dip tube was put in place?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 06:20 PM
    I'm not slow, just waiting for you guys to put up the answer so I can copy it.
    kokanee1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kokanee1
    I just had my water heater replaced by a plumber. Now the hot water flow and presure is about 1/4th of what it used to be at the upstairs tub faucet. Other faucets in the same bath seem low aswell but it is hard to tell. The bath tub faucet had great flow before and would fill the tub in 5 minutes. The plumber said he did not cause the problem but after talking to him more he said that the old water heater was plumbed backwards (cold water inlet was connected to the hot fitting on the heater and the hot water out let line was connected to the cold fitting on the heater). So I switched the hot and cold flex pipes around so they would be backward like it was before the water heater was replaced. Now I have great flow at the tub faucet but the hot water temp seems to cool off before the tub is full. Any help

Much appreciated.

Mike
    Thanks guys for your input. I had a Manager from the water heater company out today and he found that some thermo valve in the water heater inlet and outlets were installed opposite. Cold valve was in the hot and hot in the cold. I do not remember his exact name for the valves just that he says they help stop heat from being lost through pipes when there is no water flow. Any way I now have great flow with the heater lines connected properly. Make any sense? Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure/flow in kitchen faucet only [ 7 Answers ]

I installed a new faucet Dec 7, 2007 in the kitchen which is on the second floor of a three level single family house.--it is a single handle lever type (Pegasus). The faucet worked fine for about 70 days and then the water flow decreased to a trickle... immediately, no gradual slowing. I...

No hot water/low water flow when shower is turned on [ 1 Answers ]

My home was built in 2005, I have a shower/tub combo that has only been used once since it was installed. I recently had issues with hearing sucking/draining noise coming from the drain in this bath when toilet was flushed, I discovered the water in the trap had evaporated.. Easy fix! But when I...

New water heater, no hot water pressure in 2 bath/showers [ 3 Answers ]

A new water heater was installed yesterday, but I have no HOT water pressure in either of my showers. Is it the old fixtures, or a leaking pipes?

Minimal water flow from hot water side of faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Our kitchen sink as a very low water flow on the hot side of the faucet - what can we do?

No water to both sinks / very low cold water pressure to bath and washer [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen and bathroom sink have no water, period. Hot water seems to be pretty good to the bath and washer but cold water to those 2 locations are very weak. The outside faucet is very weak at best. I have had this problem for quite some time so it's not the fact that they are frozen. I just...

View more questions Search