Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kamjw Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Toilet fills, but the water does not go down.
    I have two toilets in the house. I am on a septic tank. The upstairs toilet works fine. The one downstairs will fill, but the water loses the spin and will not flush down the drain. All other pipes seem fine.

Help, getting annoyed. Been at this two days.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Hey Kamjw:

You know what I have to ask you first.. huh.. I got to know... when was last time your septic tank got pumped..

This troublesome toilet is in the basement.. How does the washing machine drain..

How old is the toilet.. and does inside tank look like the top or bottom pic..

And are the two toilets the same type of toilets..

Get back to me... see what we can do... Mark

Attached Images

Apr 7, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Septic tank was emptied two years ago. The problem toilet is on the main floor. I have tried chemicals, plunging, checking for plugged parts. The one downstairs is newer than the one upstairs. The washing machine is on the main floor and empties fine.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 03:01 PM
    OK Kam... got you.

Do you have a bsement or are you on slab?

THEN.. which tank looks like yours... top pic. Or bottom pic. In my last post..

Mark

Apr 7, 2008, 03:04 PM
    The tank looks like number 2. There is a basement. It is just stone. House is 150 years old. Plumbing no where near that age.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 03:14 PM
    OK... gotta start with basics here.

First.. be prepared... may have a clogged toilet here!

I would first check the height of the water in the tank... water should stop about 1/2" or so from the TOP of the overflow tube. Next, check that the tube from the fill valve enters the overflow tube and is feeding water to toilet bowl while filling the tank.

Then need to check to see if holes at rim are clogged... if clogged use metal coat hanger to punch through and unclog.

Then need to check the siphon jet hole at inside bowl base (glove up! ). Here, flush toilet, reach in and see if can feel a full rush of water out that jet hole.

If these things do not present an answer for you then may need to purchase a closet auger and try to snake the toilet bowl itself for any foreign object that may have fallen in.

Worst case, may need to lift toilet and see what is causing blockage.

But... that is worst case.

Check the things I have mentioned... get back to me... Mark

Apr 7, 2008, 04:00 PM
    OK... have retried the clogged holes and other fixes. Toilet fills fine, but loses its spin and there is not enough power to push anything through. Water does drain faster than before, but I still cannot use the toilet.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Kam.. I am thinking next thing to do is to try to plunge the toilet or may even need to purchase a closet auger from home supply store... see pics.

If all else good.. any chance something fell into toilet? Any recent visitors..

Only other things that make sense...

What do you think..
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Also Kam:

If hold flapper up until tank empties.. do you have a perfect flush or an deadspin..

Apr 8, 2008, 07:35 AM
    I have a deadspin. Tried all, may have to relinquish to expert.

Thanks anyway
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Then need to check the siphon jet hole at inside bowl base (glove up! ). Here, flush toilet, reach in and see if can feel a full rush of water out that jet hole.
    Fell any rough spots when you checked? If so read on. I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps . Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank fills when water valve is off [ 6 Answers ]

My toilet tank fills (not immediately after fludhing, but within an hour) even though the water valve is turned off. What could the issue be and can I easily fix this myself?

Toilet overfills+ tub fills with water= total disaster [ 7 Answers ]

:( :( :( My bathroom is a mess! For the past month our toilet has been making gargling sounds and lots of bubbles. We paid no attention to it, so now it overfilled. We also noticed that when we wash at home, all the dirty water fills our bath tub and our toilet simultaneously makes these...

Toilet tank fills only when sink is turned on [ 6 Answers ]

Hello- A problem has developed in the past few days with my toilet. When I flush the toilet, the water goes down but the tank fails to fill up. When I turn on the bathroom sink, the toilet tank begins to fill and will continue to fill after the sink is turned off. Basically, turning on the sink...

View more questions Search