Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused9876 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Tubular breasts, surgery or no surgery?
    Growing up I always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but I'm now 21 and they're still the same. I didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently I've been looking into surgery and was told I had tubular breasts. It's not so much the breast that I'm worried about because they're very small anyway so the weird shape isn't so noticeable but I hate my puffy, sticky out areola. The correction however means I'd have to get an implant and I can't decide whether to go for it or not.

I hate looking at myself in the mirror and I always have to wear padded bras and bikinis to hide it but I could probably put up with that, it's just I am so embarresed by them that I've never been able to be topless around guys. I normally don't get close to guys on purpose so that it never gets to the point where they'd see me naked but all my friends are coupling up and I just feel so alone. I don't want to have to hide myself forever.

Should I have the surgery? And also what if guys then get put off by my fake boobs? I really just don't know what to do. Please help! :confused:
    jumbojet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 07:10 AM
    I'm sure you are overexagerating the situation and that your breasts don't look as weird as you think. You will be so more critical over your own body than any guy will be when looking at it. This might sound really odd but if you have a really close female friend who you trust and have been close to for a long time, perhaps ask her to take a look, and honestly tell you if they are noticeably bad. But seriously, surgery is expensive and painful and lasts forever - if you become comfortable with your breasts, then other people will be too - not everyone's perfect! Good luck and I hope you make the right decision.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Apr 4, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Many men prefer natural breasts, still others like the man-made option. Since you can't know who you'll be with in the future, you can't worry about a strangers opinion. Any surgery holds serious risks that could endanger your life. Its up to you to decide if some counseling (for yourself esteem) or surgery would be the best option at this point. Work on making yourself happy and no matter what you look like, you'll find someone who sees you as a supermodel.

(trust me... I know ;))

p.s. I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder and surgery should be the LAST option.
    yasres Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 11:41 PM
    Do the surgery, I am a guy and I think most guys like bigger one
    Bye
    squeaks77 Posts: 113, Reputation: 19
    -

Apr 6, 2008, 12:35 AM
    After reading your question and looking up tubular breasts I realized my breasts are a not so bad version of the "deformity". Let me tell you a secret: breast men LOVE the large nipples. And I mean LOVE!! I have never had any complaints, but if it makes YOU feel better about yourself and gives you confidence, go for it! Just be careful and go to a reputable doctor. And it the "deformity" is more serious, I don't think anyone would fault you for having surgery, as breasts are a huge part of woman's identity, and there is always that desire to be "normal".
    For the most part, most guys would be so happy to see you naked, they don't notice all those little tiny flaws that you think are so obvious.
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Apr 6, 2008, 12:58 AM
    Your decision should be based on what You want, not what you think guys want. If a guy is really into you and the relationship is based on how much you like each other then your breasts should not matter. If you think getting a breast job would help boost yourself esteem and confidence, then I would do it for that reason, and if any guys have a problem with you having the breast job, then they are just not understanding enough.

I believe if you are going to be in a relationship you should eventually be comfortable enough to talk about your breasts, weather you get the surgery or not.

I know its hard to figure out if a guy will be understanding or not, but to find out you have to put yourself out there a little bit, and not totally avoid being intimate. If you really like a guy and it gets to the intimate part of the relationship, maybe you can let him know you are sensitive about your breasts and until you are more comfortable you want to keep your bra on.

Either way I hope you find a way to become comfortable with yourself. The more comfortable you are with how you are shaped, the more comfortable a guy is going to be... they like confident women, and if your breasts are irregular, but you don't make a big deal out of it, then they won't either.

Best Wishes
    gentleasrain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by confused9876

should i have the surgery?? and also what if guys then get put off by my fake boobs? i really just don't know what to do. please help!! :confused:
    I do hope that you decide NOT to go with surgery. I've been looking for a woman with tubular breasts, but that's a specialized category that just doesn't show up on dating sites... and I'm not about to ask any women in person. Still, I keep hoping that somehow I'll happen across that dream lover with ideal (for me) anatomy.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 08:27 AM
    growing up i always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but i'm now 21 and they're still the same. i didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently i've been looking into surgery and was told i had tubular breasts. it's not so much the breast that i'm worried about becasue they're very small anyway so the weird shape isn't so noticable but i hate my puffy, sticky out areola. the correction however means i'd have to get an implant and i can't decide whether to go for it or not.

i hate looking at myself in the mirror and i always have to wear padded bras and bikinis to hide it but i could probably put up with that, it's just i am so embarresed by them that i've never been able to be topless around guys. i normally don't get close to guys on purpose so that it never gets to the point where they'd see me naked but all my friends are coupling up and i just feel so alone. i don't want to have to hide myself forever.

should i have the surgery?? and also what if guys then get put off by my fake boobs? i really just don't know what to do. please help!! :confused:
    This is obviously effecting your self-esteem and potential relationships. If it causes you concern, make a consultation visit with a plastic surgeon and discuss it... or better yet, visit a few of them to get a few opinions. You will be able to see other women with a similar shape and their results. The work that is done, doesn't have to be obviously artificial. This may help you make a decision. Different men like different things, so base your decision on how YOU feel only.
    mraverage Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 07:57 AM
    ... but i hate my puffy, sticky out areola. :
    Puffy sticky out areola... a man's dream.

Beautiful I'm sure but that won't help your body image. Maybe just try to take a chance getting close to someone - the only way your confidence can go is up!
    breasttalk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 04:02 PM
    I know exactly how you feel! When I was growing up I thought my breasts would eventually fill out, at around 20 I realised this would never happen.

This has affected myself esteem and like you I've found myself running away from guys because I didn't want them to know.

After thinking about it for a while I went to docs, got referred and saw a plastic surgeon. He was awful and made me feel uncomfortable. I left the hospital in tears and never went back.

A few years down the line at 26 I've had a rethink and decided to start the whole process again. Today I went to see a plastic surgeon who recommended I have a two stage procedure involving expander implants (anyone ever heard of them? ). The first op will be in 4 months and the second up to six months later, depending on how things go.

For me this seems the best option. It's not about what guys make think, its about how I feel about myself. I think plastic surgery may not be for everyone and that's fair enough. But if its affecting you in such a big way it is something worth considering.

Is there anyone out there who's had corrective tubular breast surgery? I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks
    LovelyBeauty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 08:03 PM
    I was googling tubular breasts when I found your question. I read most of the comments and it seems as though everyone is just calling you insecure and not really understanding how having tubular breasts make someone feel.
    I'm 19 and I have them. I always thought I had an issue with breast growth but it wasn't until this past summer that I finally googled what was specifically wrong (snoopy breasts... as they refer to them.. ) and it was a mix of relief that I wasn't alone and sadness that the only way to fix the problem is by getting breast implants.
    I feel as though your question was written by me. I've had several boyfriends but never reached the point of intimacy where I let them go anywhere near my breasts... other than one boyfriend and after he saw my boobs (one of which is MUCH bigger than the other) he would neglect that one... the few times I allowed him to go anywhere near them he'd go for the nicer looking one... therefore making me even more insecure about it.
    I thought that by my 20's I'd be happy with myself. I'd have confidence. But- I'm just like you.. I'm so tired of wearing padded bras and bikinis and never allowing any guy go near my boobs and having every guy who's tried- give me the lone "oh im sure they're beautiful..they look great from what i see"... little do they know it's all padded. I know the truth, it's ugly or at least it is to me =[

But, I also want to thank you for posting this message because it made me feel a bit better... I thought I was the only one who felt this way and was having issues with a lack of confidence around guys because of it.

I think that if you're that unhappy with your breasts and if you are seriously insecure about it- fix them. But fix them for yourself. Not for any guy because who knows if he'll appreciate it as much as you. But give yourself some time to think about it.. because, like everyone said, it's life changing and you don't want to be unhappy with your decision.
    LovelyBeauty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gentleasrain View Post
    I do hope that you decide NOT to go with surgery. I've been looking for a woman with tubular breasts, but that's a specialized category that just doesn't show up on dating sites... and I'm not about to ask any women in person. Still, I keep hoping that somehow I'll happen across that dream lover with ideal (for me) anatomy.
    Is that for real? Seriously? Hello dream guy... didn't think such a person existed! Haha
    allieWOAH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Wow, this is awesome that I found this. I'm only 14, but I HATE my breasts. My mom called my dad the other day and said that she had stumbled upon this condition, and that she thought I might have it. Now that I've found out what it is (I looked up pictures) I feel so much more relief. Honestly, I can't stand my breasts and I can't imagine living the rest of my life with them. I'm hoping that when I'm older I'll be able to get something done, because I'm not happy with them (and the websites say that they aren't going to get any better) so I say, if it makes you feel better, go for it.
    yam87 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 06:08 PM

I've had breast implants, I didn't have tubular breasts but I know what they look like.

This is for your confidence and self esteem, who cares if guys will be put off - and they won't be, trust me. Think of the actresses and models that men drool all over who've had implants... Christina Aguilera, Pamela Anderson... A breast is a breast. Whether it's filled with sillicon, saline, fat or tissue.

Yasres, what a stupid, waste-of-time comment. This is women's health board not the large boobies appreciation board.

I think you should have the surgery. It's effecting your relationships and causing you misery. You have so many options to choose from to create a natural look, I chose sillicon, 80% filled 300. I am between a C and a D cup. Unless you're planning a career as a swimwear model, go for the smaller sizes with a low profile.

Don't do it for anyone else but yourself. Good luck!
    prysm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 08:14 PM
    I had the surgery done 20 years ago for my tubular breasts (with puffed out areolas) and got silicone implants under the muscle and they looked really good. It was great until they got hard 5 years later. I had another surgery to replace the implants but had saline implants placed over the muscle. Then they got hard again 8 years after the second surgery. This time I decided to take them out. After going to numerous doctors who refused to do the surgery I finally found one who had experience with the removal and reconstruction procedure. They don't tell you what your breasts will look like if you take them out years later because you don't want them anymore. I had to get a lift during the surgery which left me with a scar across the base of each breast and completely around each areola. Now the areolas are not even in circumference. I have a slight dent above each breast where the hardened tissue had to be removed. I would not recommend breast implant surgery to anyone. It's never a one time thing. If you decide to do it plan on getting a surgery every 5 to 7 years as the implants wear out like old tires and will leak. I was told that there was only a 2% chance of hardening but its actually a much higher percentage at 8% according one study (who wants to be in the 8% and you don't know if you will be or not). If you ever want to remove them you will never look the same. I understand wanting to correct what they say is not normal but if I could do it over I would have left them alone or tried to find a doctor who could just do the surgery to reduce the puffy areola without implants. Doctors will push for the breast surgery because they make more money on it. They are making tons of money on implant surgery because you have to get it done over and over again.

Puffy Areola | More about Puffy Areola

The doctor I saw for removal corrected fixed it so my areolas do not puff out anymore. Beware not all plastic surgeons are qualified to perform surgery on tubular breasts as the procedure is different and more complicated. They have to "drop your pocket" in your chest wall making room for the implants. About 12% of women who get breast implants have tubular breasts. 21% are re-operated on for various reasons. There are many risks: hardening, infection, loss of nipple sensation, rupture and scarring. Plus they don't feel natural because if you have tubular breasts you don't have much breast tissue so it's even more unnatural than others that get implants. I still don't have all the feeling in my nipples and now have scars. Think twice before you try to alter what nature gave you.
    MJMBLH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 05:40 PM

I also have tubular breasts. As a teenager, I thought they were growing weird because my underwire bras were too tight around the bottom, and I hoped they would eventually fill out. But, they didn't, and it took me having a baby and having a tough time producing enough milk for me to consult a lactation consultant who told me what the scoop was with my oddly shaped breasts. Mine are so obviously asymmetrical, my left is a full C and my right is barely a B! And the puffy nipples... ugh. I must say breastfeeding did help ease the puffiness a bit. I thought about surgery, but I want to keep them perfectly intact so I am able to breastfeed future children to the best of my natural ability. Maybe when I'm older and done having babies I'll think more about surgery.
    Oh, and no guy ever noticed (well, never commented anyway) on the shape or asymmetry of them. And I found the perfect man, despite my weird boobs! Lol Good luck with your decision.
    witchywomyn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 02:51 PM
    I had exact problem you did 15 years ago and got implants even though I didn't want them, I just wanted the shape changed. Well to change the shape the surgeon had to cut into the breast tissue thus cutting through nerves and guess at that result! I have almost no feeling left in both breasts and when I do have any feeling from them being touched, it is PAIN. I also now worry about them leaking and having to get them out which will then leave me with small AND numb breasts.

Obviously this may not happen to you, but we need to look harder at why as womyn we think we need this very invasive surgery done. PLEASE, if it IS for some man you may meet that will not like them, you KNOW they are not worth it. I have shown pics online of what my breasts used to look like to one boyfriend and he said no wonder you got them done and I thought, yes,, I had a feeling you would say that cause you are such a JERK!

I understand you wanting them to be different, as I did, in fact I was obsessed, but please don't rush into it and get ALL the facts, unlike I did. I would give ANYTHING to have what I used to have and have that great feeling back!

Feb 5, 2009, 02:54 PM

Forgot to add, what I think adds to womyn's insecurities about their breasts is the doctors calling them a DEFORMITY!! This is such BS. The boyfriend I had at the time of the surgery that I was nuts to do it as was the one before, both of whom had saw my naked breasts. If ONLY I had listened to them and not based my image of the perfect breasts on media and magazines.

Feb 5, 2009, 02:56 PM
    AND if they are such "deformities" why do so many womyn have them? Thankfully you have the internet to see this which I did not at the time.
    confused1989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 04:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyBeauty View Post
    I was googling tubular breasts when I found your question. I read most of the comments and it seems as though everyone is just calling you insecure and not really understanding how having tubular breasts make someone feel.
    I'm 19 and I have them. I always thought I had an issue with breast growth but it wasn't until this past summer that I finally googled what was specifically wrong (snoopy breasts...as they refer to them..) and it was a mix of relief that I wasn't alone and sadness that the only way to fix the problem is by getting breast implants.
    I feel as though your question was written by me. I've had several boyfriends but never reached the point of intimacy where I let them go anywhere near my breasts....other than one boyfriend and after he saw my boobs (one of which is MUCH bigger than the other) he would neglect that one... the few times i allowed him to go anywhere near them he'd go for the nicer looking one...therefore making me even more insecure about it.
    I thought that by my 20's I'd be happy with myself. I'd have confidence. but- I'm just like you.. I'm so tired of wearing padded bras and bikinis and never allowing any guy go near my boobs and having every guy whos tried- give me the lone "oh im sure they're beautiful..they look great from what i see"...little do they know it's all padded. I know the truth, it's ugly or at least it is to me =[

But, i also want to thank you for posting this message because it made me feel a bit better... i thought i was the only one who felt this way and was having issues with a lack of confidence around guys because of it.

I think that if you're that unhappy with your breasts and if you are seriously insecure about it- fix them. but fix them for yourself. not for any guy because who knows if he'll appreciate it as much as you. but give yourself some time to think about it..because, like everyone said, it's life changing and you dont wanna be unhappy with your decision.
    I'd like to say thank you to the person that created this topic and to you, "LovelyBeauty". My boobs have always been like this and I'm 19 now. I had googled it before, but most people just said that breasts like that were common at certain stages and would round themselves out after puberty. I thought that maybe it's just take me longer than most girls since I hadn't started puberty until I was 14 anyway. I also dealt with problems with anorexia through most of my teen years. I'd seen lots of people on the internet saying that anorexia could also be a cause of it and that they'd probably round out eventually.
    Lots of people recommended massaging my breasts to make them grow. Lots of people told me to just be happy with who I am and that I probably don't look as strange as I think I do. But I still felt like no one actually understood what I meant. The onlyway I can make my boobs look normal is by wearing a tight-fitted padded bra, and even then I basically nothing. When I take my bra off, I feel horrible and so ugly.
    I've considered getting breast implants for a few years now. I always knew that if I ever actually did it I'd wait until I was in my twenties. I always worried that breast implants wouldn't be able to change the shape though, and the shape was without a doubt my main concern. My boobs are very small (32 A), but I wouldn't get a boob job if I had round breasts.
    I've seen things online about them being able to make boobs like mine look more normal and larger and even change the nipple. I'm really considering doing it now, but still don't know...
    I'm engaged to an amazing man that has never complained about my breasts. Yet I still really want it done. He even makes me want to do it less because he loves me so much for what I am no matter how strange a part of me may look.
    Mostly, I still REALLY want it done though...

I don't know what to do. I just feel so horrible with them sometimes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

After surgery [ 3 Answers ]

I got one simple, quick question: COuld a persons attitude change drastically after a surgery? My boyfriend has a surgery about a week ago, and his attitude/personality or what have you, has completely changed, like completely. He was always a smart a**, you know constantly making smart...

Cosmetic Surgery thesis statement on Risks and benefits of Cosmetic Surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I need a thesis statement on Cosmetic Surgery, I will be during my essay on Risks and benefits. What are your thoughts?

Do I need surgery? [ 3 Answers ]

I see many questions regarding dark undereye circles. The answer. Use agood concealer. But can any one help with under eye bags. As most concealers only make the problem more noticeable. I've tried so many products,sleeping with a high pillow. But nothing seems to work. Is the only solution...

NO to Surgery! [ 2 Answers ]

I am a black female with horrible stretch marks on my hips. I am very young so I love the low rise jeans, but I can not wear them because of my problem areas. I went to a dermatologist and he suggested plastic surgery, I have seen creams that reduce the appearance of strech marks, but I would like...

View more questions Search